53 - 2

Just When I Thought I Was Over You

Please take note: Grey lines are lines that were spoken in English. ^^ And blue lines were spoken in Chinese.


 

LIII - 2

 

 

Somehow the group ended up walking to the nearest café from their school because Kris forgot that he was using a two-seater car and was only expecting him and Seyoon in the first place.

Seyoon’s friends noticed how close she and Kris were on their way there.

Chanyeol knew for his life that there would be someone out there who was better than him when it comes to the height department. But never, never he did know that he would meet someone who was not only taller than him, but definitely more body-built, more handsome, more charismatic, and having closer contact with Seyoon than him.

When they entered the café, which catered mostly high school students, they could hear some of the girls whispering and some were squealing. Of course, they already knew the reason for such attitudes.

“I think we should sit upstairs,” said Lay who was definitely not happy with the attention their group was getting.

“But upstairs is for reservations only,” said Xiumin.

“Don’t worry. We know the owner of this café,” said Kyungsoo who gave Seyoon a smile before entering a door at the left where only the staffs were allowed to enter.

“Does Kyungsoo work here?” asked Luhan.

“No. The owner of this café is the president of the club where Kyungsoo and I were members of when we were in middle school. He’s in Class 3-C that’s why you don’t know him,” Seyoon said to them.

A few minutes later, Kyungsoo went out with a key in his hands.

Good job!” Chanyeol exclaimed in English with his two thumbs up.

“What’s up with the English?” Baekhyun asked him.

“Sorry. I got carried away.”

“Taemin is not here but I called him and he allowed us to use the function room upstairs,” said Kyungsoo

---

The moment they entered the room, Kris immediately pulled a chair and invited Seyoon to sit. And even before Chanyeol or Luhan sat on the chair beside Seyoon, Kris already grabbed it and sat beside her. Chanyeol and Luhan looked at each and gave Kris a glare.

And when they were about to grab the seat on the other side of Seyoon, Sehun unexpectedly grabbed it and sat beside her. Even before the two could make a protest, Sehun glared at them which Chanyeol and Luhan understood as a this-is-mine-now-back-off glare.

The waiter went upstairs to get their orders and they all motioned to let Kris order first.

“Alright, I’ll take one cheesecake and a café latte. And for her, lemon cake and latte macchiato.”

“Wow, you guessed what I’m supposed to order.”

“Of course I do. You always order the same thing when we were in New York.” Chanyeol’s face tugged a frown when he noticed how Seyoon and Kris exchanged smiles. It was as if Seyoon was always happy when Kris was around. His frown suddenly changed when Kris looked at him and the rest of his friends. “And you guys, order anything you want. The bill is on me,” he said without the smile that he had shown to Seyoon earlier.

Even though Kris seemed kind to them, Chanyeol and Luhan still noticed how scary his emotionless face was. It really never changed. But they still preferred it than seeing his creepy undefined smile during the audition.

While waiting for their orders, Chanyeol, who couldn’t stand the silence in the room decided to speak first.

“Mr. Wu…”

“Kris. Just call me Kris. No need for any honorifics,” Kris said to them.

But it looks scary if I don’t call him hyung,” Xiumin whispered to Lay.

I know right.” Lay replied.

“Kris! Kris it is,” Luhan said with his impish grin as he enjoyed calling Mr. Wu by the first name basis.

“Right! Waddup Kris!” said Chanyeol while gesturing his hand for a handshake but he immediately withdrew it when Kris gave him the stare. “Sorry. I think I went too far.”

Kris suddenly chuckled. “I’m just kidding. Ayo wassuup!” he said as he extended his hand to Chanyeol.

Everyone in the room laughed awkwardly. And even though Kris already stated that it was a joke, Chanyeol still reached his hand nervously and gave Kris an awkward forced smile. Kris didn’t let go of his hand for a few seconds but luckily for Chanyeol, their order came on the right time in a very awkward situation he put himself into.

---

“Ah Kris, how did you know Seyoon?” asked Chanyeol whose eyes was darted on his ice tea because he never dare to look at Kris again – there was something about Kris that Chanyeol find not only intimidating but scary as well. Must have been the way he held his hand which brought electric shock all over his body. It was unsettling and threatening at the same time. If Superman had Kryptonite then Chanyeol had Kris as the antivirus for the happy virus that he was.

“Oh,” Kris looked at Seyoon who also looked at him in return.

“He’s my—”

“Seyoon’s a special person to me,” Kris cut off. Seyoon brought her brows to furrow but shrugged afterwards as she was excited to take a bite of his lemon cake. Kris smiled as he observed Seyoon indulging the cake he ordered for her. But his smiling expression didn’t last when he looked back at Chanyeol.

How did he do that quick-changing facial expression?” Xiumin whispered to Lay in Chinese. Lay shrugged and started digging his rhubarb cake.

“I’ve known her ever since we were young. Seyoon is one of the kids being brought to the day care center—”

“Owned by Kris’ mom,” Seyoon preempted. “Can I taste yours?” she said as she pointed her fork to Kris cheesecake. Kris let out a chuckle before moving his plate closer to Seyoon.

“You didn’t change at all. What’s mine is yours. Here, eat as much as you want,” he said to her.

“Nah. I’ll just take a bite,” said Seyoon as she grabbed a small bite-size piece from Kris’ cheesecake.

“A bite huh? That’s almost half.”

“Here. Take some of my lemon cake. It also tastes great,” Seyoon said to him as she moved her plate to Kris.

Luhan couldn’t hide his eyes filled with envy seeing how Seyoon was close to Kris that it was even alright for them to exchange food. He nudged Chanyeol who was eating his poppy seed cake.

“What?” he whispered to Luhan.

“Look at them.”

“Why? Are you jealous?”

“What? Why? Aren’t you?”

Chanyeol shook his head. “I share food with Seyoon. It’s not new,” he shrugged and went back to his food.

Luhan pouted as he glanced back to Seyoon when he noticed Kris looking at him. He immediately averted his gaze somewhere because Kris’ eyes were like laser slowly burning him into ashes. ‘What’s wrong with him?’ he thought.

While the student council members and Kris were busily talking about the play, Xiumin dared Lay into a guessing game.

What?

Let’s guess Kris’ age. The one who will win will share his cake,” Xiumin whispered in Chinese so that the two of them were the only one who could understand each other.

Sure. What’s your guess?

You first,

“Hmm,” Lay hold his chin and looked at Kris. His dimples were slowly becoming visible. He looked at Kris’ face and studied it while the other wasn’t looking. “He’s twenty-three,” he declared.

What? Really? I think he’s thirty,” Xiumin whispered.

Do I look really that old to you?” Kris surprisingly asked in Chinese.

Woah, you could speak Chinese?” Xiumin tried to change the topic.

Yes I can. Now, answer me. Do I look that old?” Kris asked one more time, not in an angry way but his lips were turned into a smirk and his eyebrows furrowed.

Those who couldn’t understand Chinese looked at each other. Seyoon looked at Kris and hold his arms.

“What are you talking about?” she asked.

You don’t look old at all,” Xiumin denied with sweats rolling down his temple. Lay looked at him and gulped. “Did I say thirty? I think I said twenty.

Luhan, Lay, and Xiumin looked at Kris especially Xiumin who had dread visible all over his face. Kris let out a chuckle again – something that heightened Xiumin’s anxiety.

I think I just leak,” Xiumin whispered to Lay with his mouth barely moving, making sure that this time it was only Lay who heard his words.

Oh no you didn’t. Just relax. He doesn’t look mad. And since when did you learn ventriloquism?” Lay asked.

Spur of the moment.

“Haha. Seriously guys, you are funny. But I won’t be surprise if someone would think of me as a thirty year old man. I am quite mature looking and maybe my height also affects people’s impression of me,” said Kris.

“Oh, so you were talking about age…” Seyoon muttered.

“But I’m not that old. I am only twenty-one,” Kris said before taking a sip from his coffee cup.

Luhan and Baekhyun almost choked after hearing Kris. And Sehun who was drinking bubble tea, almost spilled his drink. Xiumin’s doll eyes grew bigger.

“Unbelievable,” said Xiumin but he quickly covered his mouth when he realized that he had said it out loud.

“Yeah. Almost all the people that met Kris would say that,” Seyoon said to them as he looked at Kris. “Ah Kris, you have…uhm…on your upper lip…”

Kris looked at him, confused. “What?”

Seyoon grabbed a tissue beside her and was about to wipe the foam painted like a mustache on Kris’ face when a long arm interrupted and wiped the foam from his mouth instead.

“What the—What are you doing Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked Chanyeol.

Luhan was also surprised but wanted to give Chanyeol thumbs up of approval for his bravery. All of them looked at how Kris would react. The older seemed to be frozen on his seat – not angry but a surprise expression surfaced on his face which was a new view to them. Seyoon also looked at them with formed into an ‘o’.

“Ah, thank you for that,” Seyoon said to Chanyeol.

Kris suddenly laughed and looked at Chanyeol. “I don’t know that you have such a caring friend here Seyoon. Thank you,” he said to Chanyeol which caused to Chanyeol to return him a self-celebratory smile before returning to his seat.

---

You have such weird friends but they are funny,” Kris said to Seyoon as he accompanied her home.

They are but they are the best. Besides, I always ended up having weird friends anyway.

So are you implying that I am also a weird friend?

Aren’t you?” Seyoon .

Maybe I am but that’s how we ended up becoming friends – because I am weird and you were the only brave one to approach me and ask me to be your friend. You’re my first true friend that’s why I owe you a lot.

Hmpf. If I remember correctly, I only approached you that time because I couldn’t reach my bag from the shelf.

What? What kind of confession is that?

Haha. I’m just kidding. You know that you are also my first true friend right? That’s why you are as tall as the Statue of Liberty important to me.

I’m a what?” Kris laughed which resonated inside the corridor of their apartment floor.

Kai heard the noise coming from outside of their apartment door. He was about to open it when he heard two people talking outside.

Well, I think I’ll just leave you here for now. I’ll see you tomorrow. I love you,” Kris said to Seyoon as he hugged her.

Sure. Love you too. I’ll see you tomorrow,” were the words that Kai heard from the female voice outside the door. He knew exactly whose voice that was from and he also knew who she was referring to. When he heard the knob was turning, he immediately ran into his room and closed his door.

“What have I just heard? Did she just say that to him?” A lot of questions flooded Kai’s mind at the moment. Even though it's in English, he knew what those words meant. But other than that, when he heard Seyoon saying those words, it was as if his the words traveled to his ears like glass shards slowly creating cutting. It didn’t sound pleasant to Kai but when Seyoon said it to Kris, it traveled spontaneously and smoothly from like she was not hesitant to say it.

Suddenly, he heard a knock coming from his door.

“Yes?” He opened the door when his view was blocked by a paper bag lifted in front of his face.

“Since you weren’t able to come with us,” he looked at Seyoon whose eyes were moving in every direction, totally avoiding his. “I thought I should bring you at least a slice of cake,” she said as she handed him the paper bag with the cake inside. “It’s lemon cake. It’s from the café owned by Taemin. It tastes good by the way. You should definitely try it,” she said.

“Thank you,” he replied. He saw how Seyoon slightly smiled without looking at him which he found adorable.

“You’re welcome. And,” her eyes suddenly met his. “I hope you’ll get the role that you want. You really did a great job. Kris also said that he’s rooting for you.”

“Kris?”

“Oh, I haven’t properly introduced him to you. Mr. Wu’s first name was Kris.”

Just hearing Kris’ name and Kai’s expression suddenly turned cold. He didn’t like the sound of it for some unknown reason. It’s unpleasant to the ears, he thought.

“Uhm, if that’s all that you’re going to say I think I have to go now. I still have to finish my assignment,” Kai retorted.

“Oh, alright. Sorry for disturbing you. I’ll just call you when the dinner is ready.”

Kai nodded before closing the door. He felt guilty when he saw Seyoon’s crestfallen face as he was closing the door but he couldn’t understand himself either and why he got mad all of a sudden.

‘I hope I don’t sound mad at her. Why am I like this?’ he asked himself as he plopped onto his bed.

---

“Who do you think will get the three main roles?” Xiumin nervously asked Lay as the rests of the students started to crowd the school theater.

“Kai is a strong candidate. I don’t think I’ll get it,” he replied.

“Don’t think like that. You’re also a great dancer,” Xiumin said to him.

“Please, just the lead role’s best friend and I am already happy about it,” Chanyeol prayed in the corner.

“You’re dream is not that high. Me? I know for sure that I’ll get one of the main male lead roles,” Luhan boasted.

Chanyeol snorted. “Hmpf. I am sure you do because one of the male lead is as arrogant as you,” he retorted.

“What?!”

“Okay guys. Good afternoon,” said Mr. Kim who entered the stage with Kris trailing behind him. “Mr. Wu and I have already deliberated the results and here it is. I am excited to announce to you who got the supporting roles.”

And with that, Mr. Kim announced the casts and characters they would play.

“Yes!” Chanyeol shouted with his deep voice as he heard his name being called to play the role of the main lead’s best friend. “Thank you,” he said to Mr. Kim as he went up the stage. He gave Mr. Kim a hug and bowed at Kris who backed away from Chanyeol when he thought that Chanyeol would also hug him.

“I only got gang member number four,” Xiumin sadly said as he leaned his head on Lay’s shoulder.

“It’s alright,” said Lay as he patted Xiumin’s head.

“Sorry. I shouldn’t complain. But at least you got the other male lead’s best friend role like Chanyeol,” he said to Lay who wasn’t able to get the main role but only as a supporting role.

“It’s alright. I already expected it.”

“Okay, for the main role, Mr. Wu here would announce it,” said Mr. Kim as he led Mr. Wu to the front to speak.

“Okay. For the main role, you are expected to have extended hours of practice and coaching from me so I hope you’re ready. First, the female lead role will go to Jung Soo Jung of Class 3-B.”

Everyone clapped their hands as Soo Jung joined the rests of the casts on the stage.

“Congratulation,” Kris gave her a handshake. “Okay, the male lead role number one is…”

“That’s my best friend,” Chanyeol muttered happily as he waited for the one who got the role.

“Luhan!” Kris shouted.

“What?” Chanyeol asked loudly.

“Yes!” Luhan shouted as he went to the stage. Xiumin and Lay hugged him before he went beside Krystal and Chanyeol. “Hi best friend,” he said to Chanyeol.

“Hmpf. Whatever,” said Chanyeol, rolling his eyes.

“And the last, male lead role number two is – no doubt about it – Kim Jongin!”

Sehun and Baekhyun pushed Jongin on the stage. Seyoon smiled when he passed by her which he returned with a nod and a smile too. Kris extended his hand to give him a handshake which Kai accepted before going beside Krystal and Luhan.

Krystal hugged him to congratulate him which surprised Chanyeol and Luhan who was near them and also their friends down the stage including Seyoon. But the rests didn’t seem to notice as they took it as a simple congratulatory gesture.

Seyoon averted her gaze and lowered her head down. The truth was when Kai’s name was announced, she was practically shouting inside her head in happiness. If only she was given the chance, she would also want to give Kai a hug but she couldn’t. Instead, Krystal fulfilled it for her which she should be happy about but she wasn’t.

Kris also saw it and there was an unusual glint on his eyes. He looked at Seyoon and sighed.

“I knew you’ll get it,” Krystal whispered to him.

“Congratulations Kai,” said Luhan.

“Even if you’re not my best friend in this play, I am proud to be your best friend in real life,” said Chanyeol.

“Thanks,” Kai replied.

“Okay, that’s it for the roles. Congratulations to you guys. As the former middle school teacher of some of you here, I am happy that I know that my teachings didn’t go to waste. As for the rests, I hope you’ll all do your best.”

“And as Mr. Wu announced earlier, yes, he will be your play director,” Mr. Kim announced. The students’ whispers resonated inside the room. “Sshh…Don’t worry. He is as equally capable as I am. I met him in New York University when I visited there for a lecture and I already knew that he’s one talented person. He is currently taking Film as a course in NYU. And I think that you’ll get along with him well since he’s just twenty-one years old—”

“What?!” Kris heard some of them said which he returned with a deathly glare. Some of the students, however, especially the girls, squealed when they found out that Kris was only two years older than most of them.

“Anyway, I hope that you’ll get along with him well. Mr. Wu, you take the floor,” Mr. Kim said as he led Kris.

“I think I don’t need more introductions because Mr. Kim already did that for me. And like what he said, I hope that we’ll work well together. I’ll do my best to make this play the best presentation that they’ll ever see. But I have some few rules that you might want to consider if you want us to work in harmony.”

All of the students looked at him.

“I hope I can survive this,” Xiumin whispered to Lay.

“Don’t worry. You will,” Lay replied.

“First, all the girls, you don’t have to call me Mr. Wu but instead, just call me ‘Kris-oppa’ in your likings…”

The girls squealed in excitement. “Yes, Kris-oppa!”

“And the boys, you can call me Kris. That’s it. No more, no less.” The boys looked at each other and nodded.

“And my second rule, you’ll do whatever I told you to do. You may protest if you want to but let me tell you: I know what’s best for this play and I only hope for the betterment of it so, my direction, my rules,” he stated firmly.

Xiumin gulped hard and so was Lay.

Luhan held Chanyeol’s hand which caused the other to be surprised. “Let’s work well,” Luhan said to him. Chanyeol nodded.

Kai could feel his hands getting sweaty with tension.

“It’s alright. I know you’ll do well,” Krystal whispered to him when she noticed his hands fidgeting.

“Thanks.”

“Alright. The hell week will start next Monday. See you then,” Kris announced.

---

“Xiumin said that he wanted to back out,” said Lay when only he and his friends were left on the theater.

“What? Why?” Sehun asked.

“Because Kris is scary,” Xiumin straightforwardly said.

“What?” Seyoon sighed. “I knew it would come to this. No, don’t take his rules seriously. He always looks or sounds scary but he is not like that. He always does that but he is considerate. And to be honest, I never saw him get mad before,” she said which surprised everyone.

“What? No way,” said Luhan.

“It’s true.”

“Maybe not to you but—”

“Trust me. He is not the type who will get mad without any basis. If he knows that you’re right, he will apologize himself. That’s the kind of person Kris is. So, don’t worry,” Seyoon said to Xiumin as she patted his arm. “It’s okay.”

Kai just listened to Seyoon. The way she described Kris just show how she close their relationship was. Like she knew Kris not only on the outside but more than that. Kai would sometimes think if Seyoon also knew him well and deeply as the way she knew Kris. 

“Alright,” Xiumin replied to Seyoon.

Suddenly, Seyoon felt a tap on his shoulder. When she turned around, she saw Chanyeol with his arms wide open.

“I think I deserve a congratulatory hug,” Chanyeol grinned to her.

“What?!” Luhan asked angrily.

“Of course,” Seyoon replied with a smile as she hugged Chanyeol which Chanyeol returned with a tight hug and a huge grin on his face.

Kai’s eyebrows furrowed.

“Me too. I got the main role,” Luhan demanded.

Seyoon sighed but also hug him and tapped his back. “Congratulations,” she said.

Kai’s eyebrows not only furrowed but his teeth also gritted. He wanted to separate the two but before he even does that, someone already did that for him.

Luhan’s momentary blissful embrace with Seyoon didn’t last long when someone separated the two.

“I think that’s long enough,” Kris said with a smirk. Luhan glared at him but he couldn’t protest more.

Are you done talking with Mr. Kim and the principal?” she asked Kris.

Yes.

Oh, I forgot to ask. Where are you staying anyway? Are you staying in a hotel? The school might be far from where you are staying? Isn't it a hassle if you're coming from the hotel or the university?

Uhm. Do you want to know where I am staying? Why don't you come with me to find it out?

 

 

“Okay, since we are all happy and we’re proud of you guys for getting good roles, how about if we celebrate right now?” Baekhyun announced down the stage.

“Let’s go to Sehun’s noraebang booth in Hongdae,” Kyungsoo suggested.

“Sounds great!” Xiumin exclaimed.

“We’re all coming together right?” asked Lay.

They looked at each other. Baekhyun pulled Kai and Kai nodded.

“We’re invited too right,” Luhan asked.

“Of course,” said Baekhyun.

“How about Seyoon?” Chanyeol asked.

“I don’t think Seyoon could come with you guys,” Kris announced as he went down from the stage towards the boys.

“Why?” Luhan asked.

“She’s coming with me,” said Kris.

“Why? Don’t you want to celebrate with us?” Chanyeol asked.

“Sorry guys. I’ll celebrate with you next time,” she said. When she noticed that her friends’ faces remained crestfallen she decided something. “I’ll cook for you next time if you want.”

Chanyeol thought for a second but he knew it was better to taste Seyoon’s cooking. “Sure!” he replied with a grin.

“Alright, since all is settled, let’s go,” said Kris as he held Seyoon’s hand. “Oh, aren’t going to say something to Jongin-ssi,” he said.

Kai looked at her curiously.

“Oh…uhm…Kai you don’t have to wait for me. I’ll not come home tonight and the rest of the weekend. I’ll just see you next Monday,” she said.

“What?” Kai asked, together with Luhan and Chanyeol and their shocked jaw-dropped faces.