53 - 1

Just When I Thought I Was Over You

Please take note: Grey lines are lines that were spoken in English. ^^


 

LIII - 1

 

 

It didn’t take long before Kai noticed that it was Seyoon who was standing exactly twenty feet away from him. It didn’t take long before he noticed the unfamiliar guy talking to her and a few minutes later, the guy was leaning closer to her but she didn’t move back a little. It didn’t take long before he noticed as if the two of them were kissing. And when the guy pulled back, it didn’t take seconds before Kai noticed the smile formed on Seyoon’s face.

A minute after, Seyoon waved goodbye to the man and entered the building. The guy was on his way to the parking lot when the two of them bumped to each other. The taller of the two bowed his head to apologize then gave Kai a soft smile before leaving.

It gave Kai time to catch a glimpse of his face and he immediately concluded that he didn’t like the aura he’s giving to him.

---

Do you want to come in?” Seyoon asked upon reaching the entrance door of the apartment building.

Nah. I just came here to send you home and—

Seyoon suddenly felt Kris pulling her into a tight hug. And because Kris had an inhumane gift of height compared to the average human height that she had, her head was almost buried on his chest.

I can’t…breathe,” she said, words struggling to come out of her squeezed body.

Oh, my bad. But that hug is not even worth those five years that we didn’t see each other,” Kris said to him.

But it’s enough to kill me. Besides, we always chat online. I don’t see why you miss me so much,” Seyoon pouted.

Oh, you’re still as cute as ever,” he said while giving Seyoon pinches on her cheeks. “And you know that online communication is not enough.”

Stop that,” she said while trying to get away from Kris’ squeeze. “We’re not kids anymore, Kris.

Oh my god! You’re really a grown up now. You’re not the Seyoon I used to know. You’re not my princess anymore.

What are you talking about? I’m still the Seyoon you used to know, only wiser.”

 “Well, I still couldn’t get over that short hair of yours. I never thought that you’d really look different personally. You’re really a grown up now.

Oh really?” she asked which Kris replied with a nod. “But you still don’t answer my question. Why are you here in Korea?

Uhm, didn’t I tell you that I miss you? Well, that’s a good reason to be here. You just don’t know how messed up my love life was ever since you left.

Really? I had that great impact to you?

Of course! After all, you’re the only woman in my life, well, aside from my mom of course. But seriously, you’re my one and only princess. But you left so my life’s a little bit messed up.

Oh Kris, stop it. Stop joking around. I know you have something to do here, that’s why. We’re not close for nothing.

Okay, you got me. Well, I am here to attend some university lectures. I need inspiration for my undergraduate thesis, you see. So I am here as a research exchange student. But that’s just a part of my reason. Of course, half or more than half of my reason is you. I wanted to see you so bad,” Kris said to her while giving her another tight hug which the other complained for being too tight and suffocating.

Alright, alright. If you really miss me then fine but stop killing me. I don’t want to die in the hands of the almighty Kris Wu.

Kris let out a chuckle. “Right. I won’t kill you alright because if I do, your brother would be the one killing me. I might end up as discarded bones or worse, ashes.

Eew, my brother is not that brutal. I am sure he’ll just kill you silently.

Haha. But seriously, it’s nice seeing you again,” Kris said to her as he leaned for a kiss on her cheek which Seyoon accepted. Five years of their separation and surely they had missed each other.

It’s nice seeing you too,” she replied with a smile.

Well, I gotta go. I still have to meet this friend whom I met in New York. I promised to him that we’ll meet if I get here. I have to go princess.

Bye Kris.

Kris waited for Seyoon to enter the building before going. And as he went to his car, he noticed a student with the same uniform as Seyoon and her friends.

‘Must be from the same school,’ he thought. The student accidentally bumped onto him but he initialized the apology. He noticed how the student scanned him from head to toe and as their eyes met, the student’s eyes were nothing but keen and intimidating.

‘Did I just do something to make him mad at me like that?’ He shrugged of the idea as went straight to his car. But one thing he was sure of was he would surely see that student again. And maybe another clash would happen, a bigger clash.

---

“That English-speaking but Asian-looking man we met yesterday, who do you think is he?” Luhan asked the person walking beside him.

“I don’t know but I definitely don’t like him,” said Chanyeol.

“Me too,” Luhan nodded affirmatively.

Somehow, the two just bumped to each other early in the morning when Chanyeol decided to go to Seyoon’s house and so was Luhan. And even though they were heads of the opposite poles, they had managed to walk peacefully without getting into trouble. It was all because they were talking about the stranger from yesterday and how much they hated him even without knowing who he was.

“Where’s Seyoon?” they both asked when they saw Kai opening the door for them, his face showed a bit of surprise.

“She’s not here. She left early.”

“Oh my goodness! Really?” Luhan asked loudly which irritated both Kai and Seyoon.

“Do you think that English-speaking guy fetched her?” Chanyeol asked Luhan.

“English-speaking guy?” Kai asked because he wasn’t there when the stranger fetched Seyoon from school yesterday.

“You know, tall, good-looking, celebrity-like,” Luhan elaborated.

‘Must be the guy from yesterday,’ Kai thought.

“Yeah, the one who fetched her was definitely tall and good-looking but I think his name was Sehun and I don’t know if he speaks English or not,” Kai teased.

“Sehun? But it’s too early and why?” Chanyeol asked.

“I think they have an early meeting of some sort and it’s not early anymore.”

“Oh! That must be the reason why Baekhyun was not on his bed when I woke up. And Kyungsoo was not in his room either,” said Chanyeol.

“So it’s not the English-speaking guy. Thank goodness,” Luhan sighed.

“Who’s that English-speaking guy?” Kai asked but he regretted later on as the two started talking about him and how he was hot, how he owned a black sports car, how a lot of girls were swooned by his charms including Luhan’s fanclub president.

Kai wished that he didn’t ask them a question and learned not to do it again in the future because now, he just realized that he had just beein with the company of the worlds’ top two most talkative person in the planet.

But one thing was sure for Kai – all three of them hated that stranger.

---

“I asked Jaejoong-hyung if he could help us with our play,” said Sehun.

“Really? Thank goodness. What does he says?” Baekhyun asked enthusiastically.

“I thought Mr. Kim was out of your favorite teachers’ list? Why do you seem enthusiastic about it?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Who cares? We only have two weeks Kyung. It’s either we asked for Mr. Kim’s help or wait for a miracle to happen. So what does he says?”

“Unfortunately, he’s reluctant to help because he’s also busy with his middle school students.”

Their faces which were full of excitement a while ago suddenly turned sad upon hearing the bad news. Now, they knew they couldn’t pull off a good presentation without their teacher’s help.

“He’s officially permanent on my not-so-loved teacher’s list,” Baekhyun claimed.

“Who’s part of your not-so-loved teacher’s list Mr Byun?” asked Mr. Kim who suddenly burst the door open, surprising everyone inside the student council room (well, it was just the four of them anyway).

“Mr. Kim, annyeonghaseyo!” all of them shouted in unison while bowing to their former teacher.

“How’s my former students? Look at you now. You’re all grown-up now except of course, Mr. Byun and Mr. Do.”

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo glared at him especially Kyungsoo whose glare was something along borderline creepy.

“Of course, I am joking. Come on guys,” Mr. Kim nudged them.

“What are you doing here hyung? I thought you’re not going to help us,” asked Sehun.

“You know how much you’re important to me. You’re my favorite students. How can I stand not helping you?”

“Are you going to direct the play?” asked Seyoon.

“Not really. I still have to direct the play of my middle school students. But!”

All looked him but not with amused faces.

“Come on cheer up guys. I’ve talk to the principal and since he is really hoping for a grand production, you are given the permission to be excused to all of your classes for two weeks to focus on this play!” Mr. Kim looked at them who seemed not shock by his news.

“Why? Aren’t you happy?”

“Even if we’re excused for two weeks, we will not make it if no one will assist us.”

“Don’t worry about that. I know you can do it. Oh, before I go, I’ve already excused sections 3-A and 3-B from your afternoon classes today because we will have our auditions later. See you!” said Mr. Kim before dashing off without hearing any of the complaints of the student council.

“What?!? Audition?!” Baekhyun exclaimed. Sehun and Seyoon just shrugged while Kyungsoo had his owl-eyed look.

---

“So it means that we will not have our afternoon classes?” asked Xiumin.

“No afternoon classes?” Luhan asked happily.

“Are you sure?” Chanyeol added.

“Real—” Lay was supposed to ask but he was cut off.

“Okay stop. You don’t have to ask the same question over and over again. Yes, we will not have our afternoon class today because we will hold the audition for the roles later in the school theater. So if I were you, you should prepare yourself for your targeted roles,” said Seyoon.

“Great. Just great,” said Lay.

“Why?”

“He’s quite excited today because he’s audition for one of the two main male leads.”

“Really? That’s great. I hope you’ll be accepted,” Seyoon said to him.

“Wait! I am also audition for one of main leads. But not the one that Lay will audition for,” said Luhan.

“Good luck then,” Seyoon said rather coldly.

“What? That’s it? No word of encouragement.”

“By the way Seyoon, are we really continuing without someone helping us? I don’t think we can do it on our own,” said Kyungsoo who had an extremely worried expression on his face.

“Why are you so worried? You guys are great. I’m sure you can do it,” said Xiumin.

“Who wouldn’t be worried? The student council is assigned for the whole school festival, not only this play. We still have to give approvals to the rest of the presentations planned for the festival,” said Baekhyun.

“I didn’t know it is such a hard job,” said Luhan.

“It is. And if we still don’t have someone to help us direct the play, I don’t think we can make it,” said Kyungsoo.

 “Good afternoon students. This is Sehun, your student council president, speaking,” they heard Sehun’s voice from the school radio.

“Wow, he doesn’t have a lisp anymore,” said Baekhyun.

“Sshh…” said Seyoon.

“I just want to announce that all students of section 3-A and 3-B are excused from their afternoon classes but are required to attend the audition later in the school theater. Please bring the script of the play we di(th)ributed,” he coughed before continuing, “distributed yesterday.”

“There it is. He still has some (lisp) left,” said Baekhyun.

“Stop it Baekhyun.”

“Sorry.”

“There will be two experts that will evaluate the auditions so please be prepared.”

“Two?” asked Kyungsoo.

“Why? Aren’t you guys the one holding the audition? So you don’t know who will be there?” asked Chanyeol.

“Mr. Kim from the middle school drama club will be there but I don’t know the other one,” said Seyoon.

“That’s it from your president, Oh Sehun, (th)igning off…hm…I mean, signing off.”

---

The school theater was already packed with students from both sections. There was a table in front of the stage and two seats were allotted for the evaluators.

Seyoon could see Kai sitting beside Chanyeol on his left, and Krystal on his right. The two seemed talking about something and both of them were laughing including Chanyeol. Seyoon heaved a sigh. She hadn’t talk to Kai that much in the past few days. She was glad that she was busy with her student council duties lately. That was enough reason for her to avoid him, for now.

“Hey Sehun,” she asked Sehun who happened to pass by her.

“How’s my radio broadcast? Is my lisp that obvious?” he asked consciously.

Seyoon chuckled. “No. Don’t worry. I think you’ve only had two mistakes but that’s okay. Anyway, who’s the other one attending the audition. I don’t remember Mr. Kim saying that he’s coming with someone.”

“I don’t know either but Jaejoong-hyung texted me and said that he’ll bring someone. I just hope it is someone reliable.”

“Good afternoon students,” they heard a voice when Mr. Kim suddenly appeared on the stage. “Hello! I’m Mr. Kim. I am a teacher in the middle school level and I’m also the adviser of the drama club. Some of you may have known me especially those who studied here since middle school. I’ll be evaluating the audition for today.”

“He doesn’t look like a teacher,” Krystal whispered to Kai.

“He is. He’s just younger compared to the other teachers here. Besides, he’s doing some body maintenance to have that fit body,” said Chanyeol who seemed to hear what she said.

“And I came with someone whom I know will greatly help you for this play. He’s younger than me but he has great potentials and skills. I am glad to introduce to you, Mr. Wu!”

All of them stared at the tall figure entering the stage. Kai looked at the seemingly familiar man. Chanyeol and Luhan stared at him wide-eyed. Xiumin and Lay, who were busy looking at the script, were tapped on the shoulder by Baekhyun. And Seyoon, who was seating with Kyungsoo and Sehun far from the rests while looking at their to-do lists, suddenly turned her head to the front.

“Mr. Wu?” she asked.

“Ahh, the English-speaking guy!” said Chanyeol.

“English-speaking?” Krystal asked.

Kai looked at the man once again. “English…that’s—”

“Okay, he will not introduce himself for now because we don’t have enough time to hold the audition for his 23 roles so we have to get going. Let’s go Mr. Wu,” said Mr. Kim.

“What is he doing here?” Seyoon asked. Sehun and Kyungsoo looked at her.

“He’s the guy who fetched you yesterday, right?” Sehun asked. Seyoon just nodded obliviously to his question as her eyes were fixed on Kris who was sitting beside Mr. Kim.

But even before Kris took his seat, he saw Seyoon looking at him so he gave her a wink as a greeting.

“Why?” she mumbled.

---

All were nervous for the audition especially those who were aiming for the three lead roles, one female and two male. Kai, Lay, and Luhan auditioned for the two male lead roles. Surprisingly, Krystal auditioned for the female role.

But another factor that made the students nervous was the addition of the mysterious evaluator, Mr. Wu. Neither he was smiling nor showing any signs of emotion throughout the audition. He was just staring at them, looked at their profiles, they he would jot down some notes on the script but he wouldn’t say anything. On the contrary, Mr. Kim was the talkative one. He would sometimes clap, shout ‘bravo’, or stand up if the audition was good.

Most of the girls were whispering about Mr. Wu which at some point made him annoyed. Not because he shouted but when he glared at the girl students, it was the scariest that Luhan and Chanyeol had ever seen.

“Mr. Wu? It doesn’t sound American at all,” Chanyeol said to Luhan.

“I know. He’s Asian-looking anyway. But he’s quite scary though.”

Chanyeol nodded as their heads returned to Mr. Wu, whose cold façade never faded. Well, not until someone entered the stage a few minutes later. Everyone, not only Chanyeol and Luhan, were surprised because Mr. Wu was the one who talked.

“Oh, I think I’ve seen you yesterday,” he said to the person standing on the stage.

“Oh! He can speak Korean! Daebak!” Chanyeol exclaimed.

“We’ve seen each other yesterday too but he never said that to me,” Luhan whispered to Chanyeol.

“Ah, I think so,” the person replied.

“What’s your name?” he said while giving a smile that was hard to classify.

“Is he smiling or he just stretched his mouth wide? I can’t seem to read his facial expression,” Chanyeol whispered to Luhan.

“Kim Jongin, my name is Kim Jongin.”

“Kim Jongin? Interesting. Okay, let’s see what you’ve got.”

Kai closed his eyes before taking a deep breath. He gave Baekhyun, who was assigned on the audio, a cue. Suddenly, the song ‘My Lady’ by EXO started playing. All of the eyes were suddenly on the stage including Chanyeol and Luhan, who seemed jaw-dropped by Kai’s performance.

Seyoon could feel her hear beating tremendously. She already expected an excellent performance by Kai but he never failed to have her enticed by his performance. It reminded her of the first time she saw Kai danced. And she remembered him saying that that dance was only made for her. Now, she knew it was different. He would never dance specially for her again. If there was someone he would dedicate that dance for, she was sure it was for Krystal. But before the Kai’s performance ended…

‘Did he just look at me?’ she thought when she saw him glancing at her with his serious eyes as his body danced and waved with the song.

When the performance ended, the students’ claps and roars resonated inside the room. Mr. Kim gave Kai a standing ovation.

“As expected from another Kim!” he shouted.

Chanyeol and Luhan looked at Mr. Wu’s expression and his smile turned into a smug.  It was pretty scary, they thought.

“That’s a wonderful performance Mr. Kim,” Mr. Wu said to him.

“Okay, that’s it for the auditions. We will evaluate all of your performances and we will announce who got the roles tomorrow, same time, same place,” said Mr. Kim.

“Wait, what about the students at the back?” asked Mr. Wu, referring to Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Seyoon.

“No. The student council members are not allowed to be part of the main casts. They’re assigned for the backstage preparations. Besides, they’re busy for the whole festival.”

“Really? That’s bad then. I was hoping Ms. Jin to audition.”

“Yes it’s unfortunate. So, let’s go,” said Mr. Kim as he grabbed the papers in front of him.

“Alright,” Mr. Wu replied. He looked back to Seyoon, who was looking at him, and gave her a smile. “See you,” he mouthed without a voice.

“What?” Seyoon formed the word with her lips but Kris only replied with another wink.

Seyoon, Sehun, and Kyungsoo went to the front to arrange the chairs left by the students.

“That was a great audition,” Sehun said to Kai, who was leaving with Krystal.

“Thanks! I haven’t used that choreography for a while.”

“But it’s still great Kai,” said Krystal. Kai replied a smile when his eyes locked with Seyoon’s.

“Krystal is right,” Seyoon finally spoke – she had no choice anyway rather than avoiding Kai again. “As expected of you,” Seyoon gave her a reluctant but soft smile.

“Thank yo—”

“Seyoon!”

Kai was cut off by a voice coming from the stage when Mr. Wu suddenly came out, going down to went Seyoon.

“Kris…”

I’ve already gave my notes to Mr. Kim. He will evaluate the rest. How about we go and grab some drinks. I’m kind of hungry. I just came from the university this morning,” he said to Seyoon in straight English.

Luhan and Chanyeol, who was standing at back, tilted their heads, trying to decipher what Kris had said.

But I still have some things to do here.

“Hm, hey guys, since the audition is already finished, how about if I treat you for something to eat?” Kris asked Seyoon’s friends.

All of them looked at each other.

Of course!” Luhan shouted in English. “We couldn’t let him get Seyoon again like yesterday,” he whispered to Chanyeol.

No pra-pru-problem!” said Chanyeol.

“That’s great! How about Mr. Kim and Ms. Jung, right?” he asked Kai and Krystal.

“No. I still have to practice for the SUPA scholarship. Sorry,” said Krystal.

“You’re auditioning for the scholarship?” Kyungsoo asked her. Luhan and Chanyeol looked at each other and at Seyoon.

“Yes. I found out that Seyoon and Chanyeol will audition too. Let’s do our best,” she said to the two as she smiled at them.

Seyoon tried to smile while Chanyeol just gave her a thumb up.

“I also have some things to do,” said Kai.

“Oh, I know what it is,” said Luhan. Kai glared at him before grabbing his bag.

“See you,” he said to Seyoon.

Seyoon looked at them, Krystal and Kai, as they left with a dejected expression on her face. It all changed when Kris placed an arm on her shoulder.

So, let’s go princess,” he said to her.

Kai turned his head to look back at them one more time before leaving but his eyes were fixed on Kris and Seyoon. He sighed before opening the door for him and Krystal.

But Kris, we still have some things to do in the student council,” Seyoon protested again. Sehun and Kyungsoo nodded.

“We still need to find someone who will help us on our play,” Sehun said to him.

“Oh,” said Kris who appeared to look disappointed but his face suddenly changed into the expressionless façade again. “But are you just going to reject your future play director? It’s disappointed then. I even said to Mr. Kim that I’ll work for free.”

“You what?” Seyoon asked, surprised.

“I’ll work for free.”

“No, before that, what did you say?”

“I’ll be your play director alright so stop saying that you still have things to do. I’ll do it all for you,” Kris said as he drew his head closer and patted Seyoon’s head.