Chapter 9 Coming Home

Sketches Of My Life

Many had happened in Song Family in the past 5 years since Karen left for Canada. Dujun became the new CEO of their company while Gina is 8 months pregnant with their son. Dongwoon who is not yet done with his 4 years course at University while Chaerin who is a full time mom with their 5 years old daughter Dori.

 

Dujun POV

 

“Ring… Ring… Ring…”

 

“Yoboseyo?” I answer the phone.

 

“Oppa? Odiya?” the girl said in the other line.

 

I don’t know who it was because the number she was using that flash on my screen is not registered to my phone and I think it was from the overseas. I suddenly remember that it will be Karen’s arrival from Canada.

 

“Karen? Is that you?” I ask her.

 

“Yes, Oppa! It’s me. Where are you now? I was waiting here about 10 minutes already.” Karen said on the other line complaining.

 

“Oh... Sorry! I forgot. Mianhe… Mianhe… Mianhe…” I said and change my clothes quickly.

 

“Okay… Make it fast… Bye!” Karen said and I hang up the phone.

 

I really forgot this day, the day that Karen will come back from Canada. She called me last week that she was planning to come back after a long years. She also reminds me to not let anyone in the family even Kikwang to say about her surprise.

 

After I fixed myself, I went directly to the living room where Gina is busy watching television with Dongwoon, Mom, Charin and Dori. I quickly kiss Gina on the lips and runs towards outside of the house where my car was parked.

 

I open the car, fasten my seatbelt, and start my car and drove. Leaving my family on the living room puzzled. I hope Dad will welcome her.

 

Karen POV

 

It’s been 5 years since I left this country and now I’m finally here. I want to surprise my family about my arrival and I hope Dad will forgive me. Since I left the house, Appa didn’t ever talk to me on the phone if I call every week. I’ve always wished that Appa will forgive me for what I’ve done and doing what I want.

 

I’ve been waiting for about 20 minutes outside of the airport. I thought Dujun oppa was already there waiting for me but sadly he forgot. I hope he didn’t forget what I remind him about my arrival.

 

“Karen!” Dujun oppa call my name and wave.

 

“Oppa…” I said and waving also at him.

 

“Karen… I miss you much…” Dujun oppa said and hug me tightly.

 

“Me too.” I said.

 

“How’s your trip?” Dujun oppa said while helping me to drag my luggages into the car.

 

“It’s okay.” I said.

 

“By the way, Oppa how’s Appa?” I suddenly ask.

 

“All of them will be surprised.” Dujun oppa said to avoid answering my question while putting all my luggage in his car.

 

“Let’s go!” he added and we get in on to car.

 

We were in the car, Dujun oppa talk so many things about what happen the past 5 years without me. I also share with him that I’m planning to build a painting museum in Seoul. Even though I was far away from them I never forgot to call them every once a week when I’m not busy with my studies and work.

 

After 15 minutes…

 

We are now in front of our house, Dujun oppa park his car and stop the engine. I feel a little bit of nervous and I don’t know what will Dad’s reaction. While Dujun oppa get out of the car and get my luggage from the trunk. I’m still inside the car, thinking and relax myself to surprise them. After I inhale and exhale, I get out of the car and fix myself.

 

“Let’s go!” Dujun oppa said and drag my 2 big luggages.

 

“Okay…” I said and walk with him.

 

“Welcome to our house.” Dujun oppa said and opens the gate.

 

“You can do it.” Dujun oppa said while we are now in the front door.

 

“Knock! Knock! Knock!”

 

“Who’s that?” I hear Dongwoon ask.

 

“It’s Dujun. Can you open the door?” Dujun said and wink at me.

 

“Okay…” Dongwoon said.

 

“Noona?!” Dongwoon said and shocked.

 

“Hi Woonie…” I said and hug him.

 

“Can I come in?” I added.

 

“Noona… Noona! It’s you… Sure! Come in.” Dongwoon said happily.

 

“Mom! Karen noona is finally here.” He added.

 

Gina unnie and Chaerin who already saw me stiff from the sofa and couldn’t believe that I was there standing in front of them.

 

“Karen unnie?” Chaerin said.

 

“Mom, Karen is here. She’s here.” Gina said while pointing towards my direction.

 

“What are you talking about?” Mom said while sitting on the sofa.

 

“Mom… It’s true… I’m here… Surprise everyone!” I said.

 

Mom who was playing with Dori hear my voice and stand up from the sofa. Mom then turn to face me and give Dori to Dongwoon. She then walks towards me and hug me tight.

 

“Sweetie? You’re here finally…” Mom said and hug me.

 

Mom walks towards me and couldn’t stop her tears to fall. I also cried when I feel the warm hug from the woman who I missed very much in my life.

 

I hug Chaerin who was carrying their daughter to introduce to me. Dori gives me kiss on the cheek and also hug me for the first time. I also hug Gina unnie, touch her big tummy and talk to the baby inside to introduce myself.

 

I saw Dad who was still busy watching television and don’t dare to welcome me or hug me. I want to hug him so tight but I couldn’t because I don’t want to disturb him.

 

But I force myself to let go of my nervous. I went to where Dad is sitting but before I can come closer to him he then stand up.

 

“No vacant rooms in here so no space for you to sleep here.” Dad said and walks.

 

“No. She will be sleeping here and staying here.” Mom said and follow Dad.

 

“Noona, don’t worry. You will be sleeping in Dori’s room.” Dongwoon said and comfort me.

 

I was shocked at what Dad says to me, it broke my heart into pieces. I didn’t expect this will be the welcome that I would receive from him.

 

“Chaerin, can I stay in your brother’s hotel?” I ask Chaerin.

 

“No. You will be staying here and that’s final.” Dujun oppa said and walks upstairs.

 

“But… Oppa…” I said and sit on the sofa.

 

Gina unnie, Chaerin and Dongwoon were sad at what they have been seen earlier. They don’t want that I’ll be staying in a hotel. Dori, who was sitting beside me notice that I was starting to cry.

 

“Pretty unnie… Why are you crying? Who hurt you?” Dori asked me.

 

“No. I’m just happy to see you.” I said.

 

“Dori hugs your aunt.” Chaerin said.

 

“No. She is Pretty unnie. Pretty unnie.” Dori said pouting.

 

“Okay… Okay… Okay…” Chaerin said and all of smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author POV

 

“Yeobo… Why did you do that?” Mrs. Song asks his husband who was sitting in the balcony while reading a newspaper.

 

“Until now you never forgive your daughter? You know how you hurt her? Me? Your sons? It’s been 5 years.” she added.

 

“Enough.” Mr. Song said with relaxes tone.

 

Mrs. Song cannot believe in what her husband done earlier. It’s been 5 years since the incident happened and yet he never wants to see coming home his daughter. While Dujun who also followed his Dad to talk about Karen’s condition and how Karen prepared herself to face him.

 

What is the reason why Mr. Song is not forgiving Karen until now? What will happen to Karen’s plans? When will her Dad appreciate her works?