Chapter 8 Flashback 7

Sketches Of My Life

It’s Monday morning, all of the members of Song family are eating their breakfast expect to Karen who woke up late. Dongwoon notice that only his noona is not yet there to be found. He then asked his Mom.

 

“Umma, where’s noona?” Dongwoon asked.

 

“I think she still in her room. She wakes up late.” Mrs. Song answered.

 

“I think she sleeps late or she’s just really tired.” Dongwoon said and finish his breakfast.

 

As soon as Dongwoon went to the living room area where he puts his things, he saw his sister running downstairs and went directly to the dining area to eat her breakfast.

 

Karen POV

 

I only eat two slices of bread and finish my hot chocolate. I hurriedly went to the living to fix my hair and my things to school. I forgot to set the alarm and woke up late. I usually don’t want anybody in the house to wake me up if weekdays or school days.

 

I was sitting in the backseat while Dongwoon was in the front seat. I notice that Dongwoon was so silent and I don’t know why.

 

“Dongwoon?” I called him.

 

“Yeah… Noona?” Dongwoon replied.

 

“Are you sick?” I said while playing with my phone.

 

“No. Why?” Dongwoon said.

 

“Nothing. It’s just that you’re so silent there. Do you have any problem? Did Chaerin and you quarreled?” I asked him.

 

“No. We’re okay. But the problem is I can’t accompany her today for her weekly check-up.” he said.

 

“Oh. I see. She will understand your situation. Don’t worry.” I said and send him a message.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author POV

 

Karen was the first to arrive early from school and went directly to her room. She takes a shower, change her clothes and blow dries her hair. She then took her sketch pad and starting to draw. She didn’t know that his Dad had been already in their house sleeping with her Mom in their room while Chaerin was not yet home. She visits her Mom to their house and will be fetched by Dongwoon later on.

 

After 30 minutes, Karen wrote her finish touch with the title, date and her signature.

 

She draws a big happy family with her Dad, Seunghyun and Dujun was standing at the back of Bom, their Mom and Gina who was seated while Chaerin, Dongwoon and Karen was sitting on the floor.

 

“If Seunghyun oppa is alive, this will be the picture that will be putting in the living room area.” Karen said.

 

“I’m hungry.” She said.

 

Karen feels hungry and plans to make some tuna sandwich for her snack. She went directly to the kitchen and leaves her sketch pads scattered on the bed while the door was widely open.

 

Mr. Song was feeling thirsty and get up from the bed to drink some water but the pitcher beside their bed was empty. So he has no other choice but to drink in the kitchen downstairs.

 

Mr. Song gets up slowly from the bed to avoid waking up her wife. He slowly opens the door and close with no sound. Upon walking through the stairs, he notices that the door of Karen’s room is widely open.

 

“Is she already arrived?” he said confused.

 

“I think she forgot to close her door earlier.” he added and went to Karen’s room to close the door.

 

When he about to close the door, he plans to enter and peek into her daughter’s room. It’s been a while that he didn't enter that room. He notice something on the bed that caught his eyes. He saw the sketch pads that were on the bed and get confused on who is the owner of those sketch pads. He hurriedly looks the initials on the draws but he only saw a sign that widens his eyes. He knows the signature of her daughter and 3 sons.

 

While Karen makes her tuna sandwich, she then when to her room and continue to make another family sketch. But when she about to enter her room, he saw her Dad sitting on the bed and already saw the sketch pads.

 

“Dad? What are you doing here?” she said nervously and put the plate with a sandwich on the table near her bed.

 

“Is this yours, Karen? Tell me, who is the owner of this sketch pads?” Mr. Song said while holding one of her sketch pads angrily.

 

Karen’s heart beat went fast and couldn’t say a single word. Mr. Song stands up from sitting on the bed and walk towards where Karen standing.

 

“Again. I’m asking you. Is this yours?!! Huh?!” Mr. Song said loudly.

 

“Dad…” Karen said and starting to cry.

 

“I’m sorry, Dad.” she added and continues to cry.

 

Dujun who was already arrives heard the voice of his father upstairs. He hurriedly went to Karen’s room and check if what had happened.

 

“What happen?” Dujun said and saw his Dad and Karen.

 

Dujun was shocked on what his Dad holding while Karen was crying hard. He saw his Mom who was going out from their room and approach.

 

“Mom, help me. Please hurry up. He might hurt Karen.” Dujun said while dragging his Mom.

 

Mrs. Song who was waking up from nap wondered about what was happening. Then he hears his husband shouting from Karen’s room and run.

 

“This is yours, right!?” Mr. Song shouts.

 

“Dad… I’m so sorry. I was planning to tell you this but…” Karen said while crying.

 

“Stop it! Yeobo, stop it. Jehbal…” Mrs. Song said and took the sketch pad from him while standing beside him.

 

“We can talk about this. Can you control your anger? Please…” she added.

 

Why did you lied to me, Karen? Why? I trusted you and you will do this to us?!! Mr. Song said and tears fall from his eyes.

 

“Okay for now on. You will be staying here in the house and don’t ever go outside. You will be grounded, no phone, no internet, after you graduate from high school you will be sent in Canada and that is final.” Mr. Song said and went outside from the room.

 

“No, Dad… No… Please…” Karen said  begging and continues to cry.

 

“Yeobo… Yeobo! Wait…” Mrs. Song said and went outside also.

 

Dujun who was beside Karen was shocked and couldn’t say any word. He then guides his sister to the bed to sit down.

 

“Mianhe… Ssssshhhh… Mianhe… Ssssshhhh… Stop crying…” Dujun said while comforting his sister.

 

“I’m so sorry…” he added.

 

“Stop saying sorry, oppa. It’s not even your fault. I was the one who will be saying that. Sorry oppa. Sorry.” Karen said and lay down to bed.

 

“No. It’s not also your fault. Please stop crying.” Dujun said and guide his sister to lay down.

 

“I want to go to sleep, oppa. I want to forget what happened earlier.” Karen said and closes her eyes.

 

“Okay… Okay… Okay…” Dujun said and give Karen a kiss on the forehead.

 

“It will be okay.” he added and close the door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dujun POV

 

It’s been 2 weeks since the incident happened. No one can enter or knocks in Karen’s room because of the bodyguards who are standing side by side at the front door. Every time we eat our meal, only Karen is not there to be found. Appa hired a maid for Karen’s daily wants and needs.

 

I told Gina and the rest of the Han Family about what happened to Karen because Kikwang always asked me if where Karen is. They couldn’t believe on what Appa’s decision, even Kikwang was so sad about hearing it.

 

"I can’t take this anymore and I want to see my sister. We live in the same roof but we couldn’t meet in a minute or seconds." Dujun said. Even Dongwoon wants to hug Karen and misses his noona.

 

“I don’t know what to do. Dad will be angry.” I said while facing my laptop.

 

“Knock! Knock! Knock!”

 

“Hyung! Are you there?” Dongwoon said while knocking the door.

 

“Wait!” I said and open the door.

 

“What happen?” I asked.

 

“Hyung! Do know about noona?” Dongwoon said panicking.

 

“Why? What happen to her?” I said and got nervous.

 

“Can I enter your room?” Dongwoon asked.

 

“Okay...” I said and grab Dongwoon to my room.

 

“Noona will be leaving for Canada tomorrow.” Dongwoon said.

 

“What?! Where did you hear that? Who said that?” I said and couldn’t believe what Dongwoon said.

 

“I heard Dad told Mom in the kitchen.” Dongwoon said.

 

“It’s too early I thought it will be next month after Karen’s graduation.” I said in disbelief.

 

“I also heard that he talked with the principal and the principal gave him the approval. I never thought that Dad will do that.” Dongwoon said.

 

“We’re in the same school but when we see each other I can’t go near her because of the bodyguards. I really miss noona. The cheerful noona.” he added with a big sigh.

 

“Appa really changed a lot since Seunghyun hyung died.” I said.

 

“Did Mom also approved?” I asked.

 

“Mom was mad at her. She couldn’t believe that Dad will do that. Mom leaves Dad in the kitchen while I hurriedly run here to tell you.” Dongwoon said took the picture frame beside my bed.

 

“I miss this Happy Family.” Dongwoon sit and sigh.

 

“We can’t stop Appa.” the only sentence I said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kikwang POV

 

It is Sunday, the day that she will be leaving for Canada and leave me without any goodbyes. Dujun hyung who told us about Karen is leaving to Canada today and they don’t know when she will be coming back. All of us couldn’t believe in what was Mr. Song’s decision for his daughter. That’s the reason why I haven’t seen her for the past three weeks.

 

“I will be missing her.” I whispered while standing behind the window.

 

“Kikwang?” Gina unnie called.

 

“Noona?” I said.

 

“Dujun text me and he want us to accompany Karen to the airport.” Gina said and smile.

 

“Really noona? Okay!” I said happily and went directly to my room to take a shower.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of us are waiting for Karen to go outside to accompany her to the airport. While waiting for her, I notice that Mr. Song and Mrs. Song were not around. I only saw Dujun hyung, Dongwoon, Chaerin and Bom unnie there.

 

“Hyung, where’s your Mom and Dad?” I asked.

 

“Mom was assisting Karen while Dad is busy with her business trip.” Dujun said.

 

“Okay…” I said and took my phone from my pocket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen POV

 

In the whole three weeks was a nightmare for me. Since Dad discovered my secret about my sketching ability, I’ve always in my room without any mobile phone and internet. It was so lonely for me, I eat alone, watching television alone, and always alone in my room. I couldn’t get out of my room even a minute or seconds. I know that Dad wants to protect me but it’s too bad for this.

 

Talking with Dujun oppa, Dongwoon, Chaerin and even with Mom was forbidden. How he could do that for his own daughter? He doesn’t want to see me happy? Dad really changes a lot since Seunghyun oppa passed away.

 

I was fixing myself and combing my hair in front of the mirror when Mom hugs me from the back and silently crying.

 

“Don’t worry Mom. I will be coming back. It is for my own good. Be happy for me.” I said while facing her and wipe the tears on her face.

 

“I don’t know what I will say to you. I didn’t save you and let your Dad do this.” Mom said while crying.

 

“Stop crying, Mom. I don’t want to leave all of you like this. I want you to be happy for me. I know God has a plan for me. So don’t worry. I can take care of myself.” I said and hug my Mom.

 

I didn’t ask Mom if where Dad is. I know that Dad don’t want to see me leaving from his embrace. I’m thankful to him that all my sketch pads were returned to me yesterday. I know that Appa do this to me to have my life to be protected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I was holding Mom’s hand tightly while walking towards outside the house. I saw Bom unnie crying while Kikwang was comforting beside her outside the van. Dujun oppa, Gina unnie, Dongwoon and Chaerin was already in the van sitting.

 

“Unnie…” I said standing in front of Bom unnie.

 

“Karen! Huhuhuhu…” Bom unnie said while crying.

 

“Stop crying unnie. I love you!” I said and hug her.

 

As we let go from hugging, I guide them to go inside the van because I want a private conversation with Kikwang. They all nodded and close the door of the van.

 

“Kikwang…” I said and hug him.

 

I feel that my tears fall. "I am so sorry.” I added.

 

“I understand.” He said and hugs me tightly.

 

I don’t care if we hug for so long, as if the world ends and we will not seeing anymore. I feel that Kikwang also loves me and will wait for me to come back.

 

“Stop crying. I don’t want to see you leaving me crying.” Kikwang said and we let go of our hugs.

 

“Okay… Okay… Okay…” I said and wipe my tears.

 

“Let’s go!” I said and he nodded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as we arrive at the airport, I notice that Dujun oppa who was driving and Dongwoon was in the front seat starting to cry. It breaks my heart seeing them like this and I don’t want to leave. But this is the decision that I agreed with Dad and no one can stop me from running this challenge that God given me.

 

All of us get out of the van and my luggage are now beside me. And now it’s time to say goodbyes to everyone who already crying in front of me. Mom was the first to hug and kiss me.

 

“Take care of yourself and don’t forget to call us once a week. Okay?” Mom said while hugging me.

 

“Okay, Mom. I will always remind myself with that.” I said and we let got from hugging.

 

Second was Dujun oppa and Dongwoon who couldn’t stop their tears from dropping. I know I hurt them with my decision but I know someday they will understand me.

 

“Always remember that we love you and we’re here for you no matter what.” Dujun oppa said and we hugged together with Dongwoon who couldn’t say any word.

 

Bom unnie only hugs me followed by Gina unnie and Chaerin who was also crying. Then the last but not the least is Kikwang, he then gives me a tight hug and kiss my forehead.

 

“I love you!” he said and hugs me again.

 

I don’t know what response I have to say to what he said. He took something in here pocket and give it to me and said.

 

“Take this mp3 of mine. Just listen to this after you arrived in Canada, okay?” he said and kisses me on the forehead again. He then let go of me and go back where the others are.

 

“Bye for now everyone! I will promise to go back. See you soon.” I said and walks towards the entrance of the airport while pushing the cart with my luggage.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kikwang POV

 

Seeing her through the airport and saying her goodbyes to us. I feel the pain inside my heart that will never ever be healed by someone like her. Now that she’s far away from me I can’t promise that I will protect her for the rest of her life.

 

“Seunghyun hyung, mianheyo.” I said in my mind while closing my eyes.