Chapter 2 Flashback Part 1

Sketches Of My Life

 

Flashback… Rewind… 5 years ago

 

“Mom?” Karen approaches her Mom at the kitchen who was cooking for their dinner.

 

“What sweetie? Do you want something?” Mrs. Song said.

 

“I have something… to tell you and Dad… later after we eat… our dinner.” Karen said.

 

“Sure! Just remind me later. Okay?” Mrs. Yoon replied.

 

“Okay… Mom…” Karen said.

 

After Karen tells her Mom, she went directly go to her room and locks herself. He didn’t hear and notice his brother Dujun who was calling her. Dujun hurriedly went to Karen’s room and check if what is happening to her.

 

“Knock… Knock… Knock…”

 

“Karen?... Can you open the door?” Dujun said.

 

The doors open…

 

“Oppa…” Karen said.

 

“What’s wrong? There’s something wrong with the school? Are you not feeling well?” Dujun said who was worried.

 

“Nothing… Why?” she said.

 

“I call you early and you didn’t hear me or notice. I went here and check you if there’s something wrong.” Dujun said while he put his palm to Karen’s forehead and check if she has a fever.

 

“Nothing… There is something bothering me.” She said.

 

Dujun notices that she is pale and want to cry. Dujun give her a hug and said “Is this all about you want to take up a fine arts course? Huh?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Try to talk to Mom and Dad about this, okay? I think they will understand this time.” He said and faces her.

 

“I’m nervous about how I will tell them. I know Dad will never understand and don’t want me to take that kind of course that is not related to our business.” she said and starts to cry.

 

“Shhhhh… I will help you. Promise! Stop crying.” He said while patting the back of her sister.

 

“It’ll be alright. Don’t worry. Just take a nap and I will call you if dinner is ready. Okay?” He added.

 

“Okay…” she said and wipes her tears.

 

Karen closes her door, took her sketch pad under her bed and starts to sketch. Ever since, her father doesn’t want her to sketch or doing things under arts. She doesn’t know why her father is acting like that and even her mom didn’t tell her what the reason is. Since then all her sketch pads that was given from her brother are all hidden under her bed.

 

After 20 minutes...

 

“Done!” Karen said.

 

It was a beautiful and cute baby who was carried by a father who was so happy seeing his newborn baby girl yawning at him. She wrote the title “A Proud Daddy” on the center top of the sketch while on the left bottom was the date and her signature.

 

“Oooooh! Yeppuda!” she said and closes her sketch pad.

 

“Karen? Are you awake? The dinner is ready!” Dujun said while knocking the door.

 

“Okay, Oppa!” she replied and put her sketch pad under the bed.

 

Dujun POV

 

Karen? Are you awake? The dinner is ready!” I said.

 

“Okay, Oppa!” she said.

 

After seconds, Karen opens the door and saw me like he saw a ghost. She thought that I was already in the dining area after I call her.

 

“Oppa! You scared me! I thought you went in the dining area already.” She said.

 

“Am I like a ghost to you? This handsome guy in front of you?” I said while pointing myself.

 

“Aniyo. You’re the second handsome guy I know in this world.” She said and pitches my left cheek.

 

“Who’s the first?” I said wondering who it was.

 

“Of course, Appa.” She said.

 

“Let’s go! It’s bad to wait the food that mother cooks for us.” I said and put my two hands to Karen’s shoulders walking like a train.

 

As we went downstairs, we saw Dongwoon slapped by our Dad while our Mom was crying sitting on the sofa. We hurriedly run towards them and ask to Mom what had happened.

 

“Mom, what happen here?” I said and comfort our Mom.

 

“This very good and smart guy will be a father soon!!!!!” Appa said angrily while pointing Dongwoon.

 

“Will be a father soon? What!!? I don’t understand?” I said in shock.

 

“Her girlfriend… Chaerin… is pregnant…” Mom said while crying.

 

“PREGNANT??!!” Karen and I said together with shock and disappointment.

 

“Is that true Woonie?” Karen said and started to cry.

 

“I thought you two broke up last week. You tell me about that right?” Karen added.

 

“Yes, we broke up noona but we can’t stop our feelings for each other. I love Chaerin so much and Chaerin love me too.

 

“LOVE EACH OTHER??!!” Dad said angrily while coming towards Dongwoon and will slap him again but before he does that, Karen stands in front of Dongwoon to stop our Appa’s doing.

 

“Stop it, Dad! Please..” Karen said.

 

 After Karen stops our Dad, he left us in the living area and went out. We don’t know where he goes because we hear his car starts. We can’t stop our Dad in that state.

 

“Why did you do this to us Dongwoon? We trusted you in the being of your relationship with that girl.” Mom said.

 

The living room is filled with silence…

 

I slowly guide our Mom to their room when she stops crying and feel calm a little bit while Karen and Dongwoon was sitting silently to the other side of the sofa.

 

“You two stay there, especially you Dongwoon! I’ll be coming back. Okay?” I said.

 

“Okay, Oppa…” Karen said while holding Dongwoon’s hands.

 

Karen POV

 

When Dujun oppa guide and help our Mom go to her room. Dongwoon and I were in the living room area sitting silently on the sofa waiting for Dujun oppa to come back. I can’t talk for a while because of shock and disappointment about Chaerin is pregnant. Dongwoon broke the silence and talk.

 

“Noona, I will take all the responsibility as a father and a husband to my family.” He said while holding my hands.

 

I don’t know Woonie on what advice I’ll be given you. I haven’t experienced on having a family at the young age like you.“ I said with tears in my eyes.

 

You're only 16 years old. I added.

 

Dongwoon hug me while I’m bursting to tears. I don’t know how to help Woonie on his problem because I have also a big problem on when is the right time to tell our Dad and Mom about my ambition.

 

“Stop crying noona. I’m okay! I will be okay.” he said.

 

After awhile, Dujun oppa came and stand in front of us while crossing his two arms. Walking back and forth and stops for a while. But I believe that Dujun oppa will not hurt Dongwoon and I think he will give him some advices. After minutes of silence, Dujun oppa walks towards us and sit on the other side of Dongwoon.

 

“Karen? Can we talk? Only the two of us?” Oppa said while point Dongwoon.

 

“Go and rest noona. I know I hurt all of you about the baby but can you forgive me?” Dongwoon said.

 

“It’s okay Dongwoon I already forgive but I’m just worried about what will happen in the future.” I said and stand goes to rest first on room as Dujun oppa’s wish.

 

“Boys talk only.” Dujun said and wink.

 

“Okay… Okay… Okay… I’m going.” I said and walking directly to my room.

 

After I left the two boys in the living room area, I took my sketch pad and start to sketch before going to sleep.

 

After 15 minutes…

 

Perfect! I said while writing my finishing touch. I wrote the title as “Like Brothers” on it. I also added the date and day on the left bottom with my signature.

 

It was an image of a father who was putting his arm around his son’s shoulder while they are both smiling. It was like there are brothers.

 

I close my sketch pad and put it back where I took it. I change into my pajamas and went to sleep.

 

After the slapping and pregnant incident, Dongwoon still lives in the house. Our Dad always ignores him whenever they meet but somehow Dad didn’t neglect Dongwoon about his school, daily needs and finances.