Shopping for the Bachelorette Party

Who Will It Be?

 

Eun Mi

Now, preparations for the wedding were in full swing. Being the maid of honor, I was almost as busy as the wedding planner and the bride. The first order of business was to organize the bachelorette party.

Knowing that Annie loved the color purple, I decided that everything would be decorated in that color. Food was going to be mini sandwiches and small snacks. The party was to be hosted at Mimi’s house and the girls were coming over two hours early so that we could get everything set up and looking perfect.

That day, I headed out to the mall with Hana to buy everything that we’d need. Dressed casually in shorts and a tank top with a cute hat to top it off, I got into the elevator to get to the designated meeting place. Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. 

I looked back and was greeted with the sight of Dayday with a big grin.

Oh hell. I am NOT in the mood for him. I faced forwards again, fully intending to ignore him.

“Funny running into you here,” he said, trying to make conversation.

I kept my lips tightly pressed together.

“The weather’s nice today, isn’t it?” Dayday’s voice had a conversational lilt to it, as if he wasn’t planning on giving up anytime soon.

“Go away”, I pleaded silently in my mind.

Dayday probably noticed my discomfort with being around him, but didn’t even care. He kept talking. And talking. Finally, after what seemed like centuries, the elevator pulled to a stop and the doors whooshed open.

“This is where I get off.” He flashed me another smile and dodged around me.

I looked at my watch, to see if I had enough time to go another round before coming back down to this floor. I didn’t.

I could practically feel his smile boring into my back when I stepped out. Unfortunately, Dayday decided to follow me. All the way to the front of Urban Outfitters, where Hana stood waiting.

When Hana saw him walking beside me, she shot me a surprised look, but it quickly vanished as soon as we got within hearing distance of her. 

“Hey! You’re here! And I see you brought someone with you.” Hana turned to Dayday and said hello.

And then he uttered words that I had dreaded. “Do you mind if I come with you?”

Before I could say no, Hana agreed. I wanted to tackle her and pull out her hair, even if she was 5 months pregnant with her second child. Okay, no. I take that back. But still. This was going to turn out terrible.

________________

We’d successfully gotten everything we needed, and it was a lot. Guess who had to carry the bags? Looking over my shoulder, I saw Dayday struggling with the dozens of bags that I had made him carry. I didn’t even have to say anything, just pushing the bags at him and a dark glare was all he needed to get it. I smiled triumphantly.

Since it was only two, Hana wanted to go shopping, both for herself and the baby. We went into the baby store first, where a perky salesgirl greeted us. Hana went off with her, leaving me alone with Dayday.

I began to go through a rack of hangers, just wanting something to do and trying not to think about Dayday being only a mere 3 feet away from me.

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye. Dayday set the bags down and began to go through some hangers as well. Every now and then he’d pick something up and hold it in the air.

Maybe this would be what it would be like when he and his wife, whoever it she may be, go shopping for baby clothes. He’d have the same heartwarming expression on his face. Images of Dayday being a father, carrying a small baby in his arms filled my mind.

“Wait. What? You’re supposed to be getting over him!” the small voice in my head snapped me out of my thoughts.

I could not, and would not, let Dayday get under my skin. I swear up and down and all around.