Bad News

Who Will It Be?

Eun Mi

I missed him for those 5 days. The adults were allowed to bring their phones, so Dayday was able to text  and call. Even so, all I got were a few texts and one short call, since he was always surrounded by the kids and when it came to bed time, he'd be too tired to do anything else. I didn't really mind. Just knowing that he was still doing alright and Jun was safe was good enough for me. 

Before Dayday left, he had told me that they'd get back to the school at around 5 where the other students would then be picked up by their parents. I decided to stay after school, finish some marking, and wait for him. I was getting antsy, and couldn't concentrate. Checking my watch, there was less than 10 minutes before he arrived. Might as well go outside.

When the bus arrived, my heart started to flip. The door opened, and Sun Hee stepped out followed by the students. Near the back came Jun with Dayday in tow. He swivelled his head around and his eyes caught mine. Sending me a smile and a wink, he made his way through the students to help unload the luggage. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw Joo Lin, another music teacher. 

"Hey! How was the trip?" I asked her. Usually, Joo Lin and I didn't talk much, only exchanging pleasantries when we ran into each other and then each going on our merry ways, but today it seemed a little more... serious. 

She allowed for a small smile. "It was great, thanks." Joo Lin cleared . "Uh. There's something I want to tell you."

"What is it?" 

"Well, I know it's not really my place. But I feel that as your colleague, it would only be right for me to tell you. Just.. Don't be too shocked okay?" 

My brow furrowed in confusion. "Sure, yeah. What is it?" 

"I know that you and Dayday are together, and you seem to really like him from what I've heard. He also seems like a great guy.. So I don't understand how it could've happened." Joo Lin seemed a bit agitated. 

I was beginning to get impatient. She was just dancing around the main point and confusing me more. 

"Joo Lin, please. Could you just tell me what it is? What happened?" 

She glanced at her feet, then back up at me. "On the bus ride there, Dayday and Sun Hee sat together. I didn't think much of it, they were just sitting together. No big deal. They were laughing and goofing around a lot, which I also thought was normal, since she's your best friend and he's your boyfriend. But all throughout the day, she kept glancing at him, and flirting. The second night, I saw them meeting after everyone had gone to bed. They did that on the third and fourth night too. They always met at the same spot - the big tree near the cafeteria, and then they went off somewhere. During the day, Sun Hee would keep giving Dayday these flirty looks."

Joo Lin took a breath.

"I think he cheated on you." 

My heart dropped all the way to my feet. All of a sudden, I couldn't breathe. A million thoughts raced through my head, and then twice more. Blinking a couple times, I tried to regain my composure and control my expression. I could not break down right now. Could and would not. 

Inhale. Exhale. 

"Oh. Thank you, Joo Lin, for telling me. I know it must've been hard. I have to go now." I quickly turned and started walking back inside. 

"Eun Mi!" I could hear Dayday calling for me, but I couldn't face anyone right now. Especially him. 

Quickly grabbing my things, I almost ran to the bus stop. 

Inhale. Exhale. 

The bus arrived, and I hopped on. Grabbing the closest seat to me, I concentrated on just breathing. Nothing else. Too bad it was for nothing. The next thing I knew, tears began dripping down. Sniffling, I wiped them away, and just breathed, hoping they would stop. 

"Dear, are you alright?" I looked up and saw an old woman peering at me with a concerned expression. 

I tried to smile. "Yep, I'm all good." 

"Dear, that's the biggest lie I've heard. Even a baby could tell you're not alright." She patted my hand. "Whatever it is, don't let it keep you down too much. It'll pass over, and you'll be fine again. Don't dwell on it, dear, and you'll be fine." Giving me one last concerned look, she moved towards the door and left. 

Don't let it get to me. I could do that, couldn't I? Not a chance. When I got home, the tears didn't stop. I wasn't outright sobbing, but my heart hurt and was protesting. After a bit, I went to the washroom and washed my face. I'd come to a decision.  

Tomorrow, I'd meet up with Dayday and give him a chance to tell the truth. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do you guys think of the story so far? Am I going too fast? :S

What do you think happened at camp? Do you you think that Dayday really cheated on her?

Please leave comments and subscribe!