Confrontation with Sun Hee

Who Will It Be?

 

Eun Mi

I was walking out of the school towards the parking lot. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I pulled my keys out of my pocket and inserted the car key into the hole when I heard a scuffle behind me. Looking back, I saw a familiar face. Sun Hee.

She had an arrogant smirk on her face, her arms crossed over her chest. I could feel an argument coming along. Taking a deep breath, I pulled up the walls that I had built around myself since the break up.

“Dayday left you, didn’t he?” she said with a satisfied smile.

I gave no response, hoping she’d go away.

“He’s coming over to my house tonight. I’m going to make him dinner, and then maybe we’ll have some fun.”

My hand rose. But before it came into contact with her cheek, I stopped myself. Biting the inside of my cheek, I stared directly into her eyes and asked, “Why did you do it?”

“What? Steal him away from you?” Sun Hee’s eyes hardened and turned into steel. “It was easy. Just like stealing candy from a child. You always get everything. You have parents who love you, friends that care, you’re pretty, and you had an amazing boyfriend. These things just come to you.”

She paused. “On the other hand, I have to work for everything. I have to get up two hours earlier just to get my makeup to be perfect. My parents divorced when I was nine. I never ever get anything for free. So this time, I just wanted to see what it’d be like for you to not have a perfect life.” Sun Hee glared at me. “I wanted to watch you become insecure, confused, and then finally crumble into nothing.”

I was astonished. Sun Hee usually didn’t talk much about herself, and when she did, she only revealed things that were little and didn’t have much value. This was the first time she’d come clean about the way she was feeling.

“Have you looked in the mirror? You’re the one that’s picture perfect. All the guys would do anything, just to be next to you,” I replied. “And if you ever talked about any of this stuff about your family, you know that the girls would be there for you. I would be there for you.”

Sun Hee blinked a couple times, taken back. Her face changed back to that smirk. “Well. The point is that Dayday isn’t yours anymore. He’s mine now. Stay away from him.” Piercing me with one last icy cold glare, she got into her car and drove away, car tires squealing.