Tension Between Dari and Dayday

Who Will It Be?

 

Eun Mi

Getting through the entire dinner was hard. As soon as I saw him, I wanted to bolt. Especially when he sent me that grin. The one that, three years ago, had made me melt into a puddle of nothingness. Now, it still had a similar effect, but only because I was keeping a hold of myself.

I concentrated on shoveling food into my mouth. Halfway through, Dari leaned over and whispered, “Slow down, you’ll get indigestion.” My eyes darted to Dayday. He was glaring at me, shooting icy daggers with his eyes. I looked back down at my plate, not daring to peek at him again.

“So, Eun Mi!” Jisu piped up. “How’s it going?”

I looked at Jisu and only at Jisu, not the idiot who sat next to him. “Good, good. Time’s been going by fast. I can’t believe the wedding’s going to be in 3 weeks,” I directed this at Annie.

Immediately, her face broke into a wide grin and she started to chatter about the wedding. From the dress, the flowers, the caterer, to the band, the photographer and everything else, Annie didn’t leave out a single detail about anything. I was so grateful for her talking.

As soon as it ended, I was out of there. Dashing to my car, I unlocked the door and started to get in when I heard a voice call my name. I turned around, and in front of me stood Dayday.

“Hey.” He looked at the ground, almost shy. The glare monster was talking to me? Well, he could have fun trying. I made no response and just stared back at him coolly, curious as to what he was going to say to me.

Dayday coughed, clearing his throat. “Um. How’s it been?”

Still, I would not give him a response. Just like the way he had treated me that night. Just thinking about it made my heart ache.

He gave up. “Okay well. I guess I should get going. Have a safe drive home.” Dayday turned around and started to walk away.

Disappointment coursed through me. If he had just tried a little harder or stayed a little longer, I would’ve broken and talked to him again. With those eyes staring right at me, it was impossible not feel their effect.

A small part wanted to call him back. I was longing to hug him tight, and then punch him in the face. Maybe give him a black eye and a couple bruises. I wanted to know why he had turned and just left.

But my mouth would not open, and I would not ask or do those things.

 

Dayday

So much for trying to talk to her. I had wanted to hear her voice and laugh, see her smile again. But I guess that just wasn’t going to happen today.

The next day, we had another wedding thing. This time, it was to go get fitted for tuxedos. Annie had ordered them custom made, but final adjustments were required. At least the ladies weren’t going to be around.

Thinking this to myself, I entered the store. Most of the guys were already there.

“Dayday, get over here!” Daniel called as soon as he caught sight of me.

Halfway through, a phone started ringing, “Lover Cop” filling the entire store. Dari fished his phone out of his jacket pocket and apologized to the staff, a sheepish expression on his face. He glanced at the screen for caller ID and immediately smiled.

“Hey Eun Mi.”

My stomach tightened.

“Nah, we’re just getting fitted for the tuxes.”

Hearing his bright, cheerful tone made me cringe. I tried to concentrate on standing still so that the tailor wouldn’t stab me with any pins.

“Yeah sure, let’s meet up afterwards.”

Dari finished up the phone call and put his phone back into his jacket pocket. In the mirror, I could see Youngwon sidle over to him with a mildly curious expression.

 “So, you and Eun Mi getting pretty close, huh?” Youngwon winked at Dari.

Dari gave him a small shove, denying what Youngwon had just said. “Not in that way. We’re just friends.” But there was still a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth.

Unconvinced, Youngwon said, “Sure, buddy. Next thing we know, it’ll be Eun Mi walking down the aisle and you at the end, waiting for her.” A teasing grin was on his face.

But before Dari could reply, Daniel told them to shut up. When Youngwon cast him a confused look, Daniel cut his eyes to me and back. I could see Youngwon muttering, “Oops.”

Oops was right.

 

Dari

When the fitting finished and we left one by one, I walked to my car, whistling. I was completely surprised when I saw Dayday leaning against my car, waiting for me.

“Hey man, mind giving me a ride home?” he asked me. I nodded, complying. Dayday got in, buckling the seatbelt over his chest.

He was the one to break the silence that followed.

“What’s up with you and Eun Mi?”

I looked at him out of the corner of my eyes. This was not what I had expected.

“What are you talking about?”

“Yesterday at the restaurant, you guys were holding hands. Today, you’re talking to her on the phone, setting up a date with a smile on your face. You guys are all buddy buddy. What’s up with it?”

I could tell he was trying really hard to keep any emotion from leaking into his voice. Speaking in a calm, relaxed voice, I answered, “Nothing. We’re just friends.”

Dayday shot me a look. “Like I said. Holding hands and setting up dates.”

I was tired of this. May as well be straight and direct about it.

“Are you jealous?” I asked him.

He gave me an incredulous, disbelieving look. “Are you out of your mind? Why would I be jealous?”

How did I know he was going to say that? Before I could think about it, my mouth opened and I just started talking.

“Good. Because you’re the one who walked away, leaving her all alone at that park when it was so late at night. You’re the one who turned his back without offering an explanation. You are the one who tore her heart up. You have no right to be jealous anyway.”

Dayday didn’t say anything. All he did was unbuckled his seatbelt and got out of the car, slamming the door behind him. Good thing we were at a stoplight. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Silent readers are saddening~ please comment! :)

Visit me: paulapocket.tumblr.com