Meeting with the Guys

Who Will It Be?

 

Eun Mi

Even though Dayday and I broke up, I still kept in contact with Youngwon, Jisu, and Dari. That particular day, I received a call from Jisu.

“Hello?”

In a friendly voice, Jisu said, “Hey Eun Mi, it’s Jisu.”

“Oh. Hi. What’s up?”

“Nothing much. I was just wondering if you’d like to go for some coffee or have lunch with Youngwon, Dari and me.”

I accepted the invitation. “Do you want me to bring the girls along as well?”

“Hm? Oh, nah. Today is good right?” We agreed on a time and said goodbye.

A little while later, I entered the noodle shop that Jisu had picked. Already sitting in one of the booths were the guys, each tinkering with his phone. When I sat down in front of them, they all put their phones away and looked up at me.

“Hey guys.” A chorus of hellos came from them. Youngwon cleared his throat and started.

“Daniel wanted to be here as well. But he’s got a job interview.” Youngwon paused. “We heard that you and Dayday broke up.”

I felt my heart being squeezed. Nodding, I confirmed his statement.

“We just wanted to see how you were doing.”

I smiled, touched that these three had taken time out of their lives just to check up on me. Even though we weren’t extremely close, I was comfortable enough around them that I could tell them the truth. “I’m doing okay.” I was hesitant to say the next words that came out of my mouth. “How is he?”

Dari answered, “He’s normal on the outside. But if you really pay attention, he seems a little messed up. He zones out a lot now, which is something he never really did.”

Oh. So maybe the breakup was affecting Dayday a little bit. I tried to calm my heart, telling myself that it meant nothing. Anyone would be a little influenced after a breakup.

“Do you miss him?” The question came unexpected.

“Yeah. I do,” answering in a small voice, I averted my eyes from their faces.

Youngwon patted my hand. “Don’t worry. The ache will go away over time.”

I’d heard this line before. Many times. From my mother, Mimi, Hana, and everyone else I knew. In my mind, I realized that this was true. But it didn’t make the ache or hurt go away any faster.

The waitress came by and took our orders, bringing along with her a pot of jasmine tea. I reached for it and poured each of us a cup. Sensing that I didn’t really want to talk about Dayday anymore, Jisu changed the topic. The conversation turned to talking about our jobs and daily lives.

By the time we had all finished eating, I felt so much better. The guys were able to make me laugh and smile, which was something that I hadn’t really done in a while. Youngwon and Jisu got up first, saying that they had to get back to work. They each gave me a warm hug.

Now it was only Dari and I. “I’ll walk you to your car,” he offered.

We were walking in a companionable silence when he cleared his throat and said, “Don’t be sad anymore, Eun Mi.”

I looked at him, kind of surprised. On the outside, you would assume that Dari was the type of guy who wouldn’t say sweet things. He sort of had a rough, bad boy look about him. But I knew better – I’d seen him around Sun Hee and the way he was so nice to me.

“I realize that Sun Hee used me to get to Dayday, and I had no clue. But I’ve put it behind me, and you should too. Don’t let something like this hold you back from having a happy future.” Dari gave me an encouraging smile before waving and walking away.

I sighed. Dari was right. I needed to get on with my life and put this behind me. I was just one broken heart closer to finding the one guy that was perfect for me. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Get ready for a change in the story! :D Don't worry, it's not over yet ;)

Visit me: paulapocket.tumblr.com