Fast Forward

Who Will It Be?

3 YEARS LATER

 

Eun Mi

I had known on some degree that I’d come face to face with him again. I had just hoped that it would be later rather than sooner. Wondering if I was ready for this yet, I pushed the door open and stepped into the room that Annie had reserved.

“Eun Mi!” Mimi patted the spot next to her. I smiled back and sat down, trying to calm my nerves.

It was a get together for all the groomsmen and bridesmaids of Annie and Youngwon’s wedding. After going out for a little under three years, Youngwon had finally bought the ring and popped the question. Now we were just a few weeks from their wedding.

Looking around, I saw that the happy couple was here, along with Mimi and Hana. Daniel and his girlfriend, Amber sat a few seats down from me. When Daniel introduced Amber to the girls, we had all immediately clicked. Although a little tomboyish, her humor was something that was always appreciated.

The door slid open, and my heart clenched. But it was only Dari. He came in and gave me an acknowledging nod before settling down next to me.

“You made it,” I said.

“Of course. I gotta be here for you.” He glanced at me, making sure I was still doing okay. I offered a weak smile, but he didn’t seem to believe me.

Ever since that day when Dari had given me the advice that I needed to get over him and move on, we had gotten closer. He was kind of like my best friend now.

“If you need to get out of here, just let me know,” Dari told me. I nodded. He took my hand and squeezed, offering support.

The door opened again. This time it was Dayday.

 

Dayday

I was seriously considering making a run for it, but before I could take a step, Jisu grabbed onto my arm and gave me stern look.

“Don’t even think about it.”

We were standing outside of the restaurant, ready to go into the dinner party Youngwon was having. When he had first told me that he was dating Annie, I wasn’t surprised. The two had chemistry and were making eyes at each other on the beach trip. Then Youngwon had told me that they were getting married. My first thought was happiness and congratulations for him.

Then I realized I’d have to see her again.

All through the wedding preparations, I’d managed to avoid her. I’d always managed to leave just before she got there or I’d find an excuse to not attend. But seeing her today was inevitable.

My attention snapped back to the present when Jisu pulled on my arm and started dragging me inside. For him to be able to do that, he must’ve been really determined. Usually he couldn’t push me even a couple inches.

“You’re gonna have to see her some time. May as well be now,” Jisu muttered. I glared at him.

Jisu continued, “There’s gonna be a bunch of people in the room. It’s not like anything’s gonna go down.”

When Jisu pulled the door open, my eyes were on her right away. She was staring right back at me too. The first thing I noticed was that her eyes weren’t as bright as before. Usually, she’d be smiling or amused, her eyes shining. Now they weren’t. Her long hair that I had once loved to play with was now cut shorter. It reached a little past her shoulders, but as ever, it still had its softness.

I blinked a couple times and snapped out of it. I could tell she was still checking me out, so I gave her a lazy grin.

My eyes travelled down. She was holding hands with Dari.

What the hell?