Chapter 4: ''Whatever did you say? ...Whatever did I say?

A melody that calls out to us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What…? That was the first thing that came to my mind in that split second, out of all things that can be asked after meeting someone after such a long time, he just had to ask that.

‘’I don’t like this silence…” he said, still close to my neck and ears, I just couldn’t answer. My mind was blank at that moment, that question resonated in my head “Are you… still in love with me?” I could still hear his voice saying those words.

Are you crazy? Have you lost it? How can I? You know what? Go away. I don’t know. I am. I hate you leave—I didn’t know what answer to pick at that moment out of all things that I could say, because I myself wasn’t sure of how I felt.

“____-ah…” he whispered “My head hurts… I feel dizzy…”

My eyes opened as I remembered listening to those words once upon a time “Don’t use those words with me, you saying that you felt dizzy when you were in love…don’t repeat those words”

“You haven’t answered yet” he let go of my hands and held onto my waist, a slight chill went down my spine “Stay calm… don’t tremble…it’s me… it’s just me”

“Jonghyun, I…” I put my hands over his, trying to get him to release me from his hold.

“Why aren’t you controlling your heartbeats? I can feel them even from here” I remained silent, heartbeats? Could he really listen to them? I took some air and closed my eyes.

“Please let go me… you are making this so uncomfortable…”

He made me turn around to face him “Are you?... Are you not?”

I hesitated for a bit as I felt his hand sliding from my shoulders to my elbows and stopping there, as he looked into my eyes for an answer “… No, please leave me alone…”

He slowly let go of me and laughed, kind of a nervous laugh as he looked from one side to another, from the floor to the ceiling, his hand resting on his neck, “Oh really now…heh” he walked towards the door “…I got over you as well… but we can just pretend to get on well, at least for tonight”

I got over you, every time he spoke he had to say something that felt like daggers piercing through one’s heart “Well…” I started “It’s good…that we both are over each other…”

“…Yeah” He turned around and opened the door to leave towards the living room, but just when he did that, he saw Minhyuk standing by the entrance, standing still, looking at his expression, wondering what was wrong, he looked as though he was about to knock on the door. Jonghyun just walked past him and left Minhyuk feeling confused. He couldn’t say anything since by the time he was going to speak, Jonghyun had already closed the door behind him.

“Uhm…” He looked from the door and from me to the door a few times, “ Did something happen…?” he finally got to ask.

I was looking at the floor but when hearing his voice I looked up and shook my head “No… nothing happened…really”

Minhyuk walked around the kitchen for some seconds and then stood next to me, he put one of his hands on my shoulder, “Yes it did… you both looked uncomfortable”.

“He makes me uncomfortable… what do you want me to do?”

“See?” He put a small smile on his face “Tell me what happened, I’m your best friend, am I not?” he then pulled one of my cheeks.

“Minhyuk-oppa!”

“C’mon tell me!”

“Minhyuk-oppa, stop it, it hurts!”

“AW, c’mon… don’t you trust me? Didn’t I tell you I would protect you from all jerks?” he caressed my cheek as I pouted “So?”

I looked away, “He asked me if I was still in love with him…” the smile he had on his face soon faded and his face changed into  a serious expression.

“See? I knew I shouldn’t have told you—“

“What did you tell him?” he asked, sternly.

“That I didn’t…”

He then wandered around the kitchen, looking from one side to another, “Oh…for real?”

“What?”

He asked again, “You don’t love him for real? Or did you just say that for him to shut up?” he leaned against the fridge and glanced at the ceiling.

“…I don’t know, I told him I was over him…”I walked towards him and also leaned against my refrigerator, he kept looking at the ceiling “Are you really over him though?” he linked his hands with mine, I could hear him sigh as he did that.

“I…don’t know” was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter