7

At World’s End

Sunggyu’s P.O.V.

It was way past midnight when we boarded the plane to Johannesburg, South Africa. We had to reach there early before GD and the rest, as we needed to plant the bombs. We settled into our seats at once and soon, we were on our way to the destination.

 

An hour had passed when I woke up suddenly only to look to my left to see Sungjong sobbing quietly, sweating profusely and shaking violently in his sleep. It seems that he’s having those nightmares again which worries me a lot.

 

“Sungjong wake up.” I shook him lightly.

 

He opened his puffy and swollen eyes and looked at me. “Hyung! Help me!” he bounded forward into my arms and cried loudly.

 

“It’s alright Sungjong. It’s just a nightmare you’re having. Just forget about it.” I slowly comforted him. Hoya, who was deep in slumber on my right, woke up to the loud cries and shouted at Sungjong, “Hey shut up! I’m trying to catch some sleep here!”

 

This made things even worse and Sungjong wailed even louder with his head buried in my chest, making my shirt even more soaked. “Hoya! Get back to sleep right now this instant!” I ordered. Hoya grumbled and turned away.

 

“It’s alright Sungjong. Hyung is always here for you.” I slowly patted his head and soon he fell back to sleep. Poor child, I thought, having to witness your parents’ death at such a young age. The rest of our parents were either jailed for life or committed suicide or hanged. But we managed it pretty fast except for Sungjong. He still could not accept the fact that his parents had died under the knife of another rival assassin group.

 

The most terrible part was to watch the fear and agony in their eyes. Luckily for him, he managed to escape and ran all the way to Dongwoo’s house where Dongwoo and his family cared for him so dearly. Dongwoo was like a mother to him, looking after his meals and health. What a saddening experience for Sungjong. This could probably explain why he never killed anyone before besides injuring them.

 

Still, I never broke the promise I made to him 10 years ago. And that is to protect him with my dear life. As I was deep in thought, I felt Sungjong shifted his weight closer, probably due to the shivering cold. I then hugged him tightly, providing him some warmth and kissed his forehead before laying my head back to rest. It’s going to be a very long trip…