17

At World’s End

Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico, 29 January 2012

 

GD’s P.O.V.

After a long, winding journey through the forests of Mexico, we finally found what we’re looking for. There stood the Chichén Itzá, the ancient Mayan temple, gracefully and majestically in all of its beauty right in the middle of this silent, still forest. We entered the temple cautiously in case of y traps that could be left behind by the Mayans.

 

These traps were put in place to prevent treasure hunters and grave robbers from coveting their hidden gold and jewellry, etc. However, unbeknownst to us, the traps were laid by Infinite. Since we entered, we did not encounter any traps so we let our guard down and this was where the death-threatening part begins for us.

 

Seungri’s P.O.V.

I was walking ahead of the group, shining my torchlight everywhere across the dark halls and rooms of the temple. Vampire bats were flying about above us while huge, poisonous spiders were crawling across the walls. To be honest, I was totally freaked out but I pretended to put on a strong front for the sake of GD, my dear friend whose life was hanging on the line.

 

It was not until I spotted something round sticking out from the ground. I went ahead to check it out only to find that it was the exact same round object that Professor Byron was describing about in his diary. “Hey guys! Look what I found!” I exclaimed to them. “Don’t touch-“ GD shouted. But before he could complete, I bent down to pick it up and threw it to GD who caught it clumsily.

 

The walls of the temple then started to close in on us with a rumbling sound. Uh-oh… I must have used my itchy hands to trigger something. Every second was important so we decided to make a dash for the exit. Whilst running towards the exit, my feet got bound to a bunch of ropes that were lying on the ground. No please no… I thought, this is the wrong time to get caught.

 

So long GD, I thought as I saw his shadow disappearing into the limelight. Sooner than I thought, the ropes were pulled and I was flung into the air into a large, natural sinkhole where the Mayans call it ‘Cenote Sagrado’ or otherwise, ‘the Sacred Well’ or ‘Well of Sacrifice’. I was terrified, I didn’t want to be sacrificed in any manner. I then fell into a pool of water and became unconscious.

 

GD’s P.O.V.

We ran out with all our might and luckily, we made it to the exit in time. I did a headcount and discovered that Seungri was missing. I tried to run back inside to save him but Daesung and Taeyang held me back. “No…” I cried. And soon the temple started to cave in and sunk into the ground, lost forever. I then broke down right in front of them, losing such a dear friend was a terrible pain.