Jaws

EXO: The Boys From Another Planet

 

“Here’s the ice creams!” Jang Mi handed out the ice creams she and Se Hun bought at the convenient store near the beach. She smiled happily at them and hit Chan Yeol and Chen’s head before she gave them their ice creams. “If you two do unnecessary jokes again I’m going to… hwak!” She showed them her fist. They just grinned at her.

She turned her attention to Lay and smiled brightly. “Lay Oppaa~ what flavor would you like? I have strawberries, chocolate, vanilla and melon here….”

Lay smiled awkwardly. He had never seen Jang Mi being that sweet to anyone. Not even to Lu Han who he considered the closest one to her. Kris scoffed and reached for the plastic bag she was holding and took it from her.

“Your Lay Oppa doesn’t know how any flavor tasted like,” he took an ice cream and threw it to Lay, who caught it expertly. “There, this Kris Oppa has chosen one for him,” he took another one for himself and gave her back the remaining two ice cream of strawberry and chocolate flavor.

“Tch…,” she snatched the plastic bag from Kris and went to sit next to Lu Han. “Here, Oppa… your ice cream,” she gave him the chocolate one and happily open her strawberry ice cream.

“Thanks…,” Lu Han took his ice cream and smiled when she hummed and her strawberry ice cream with happy face.

Jang Mi felt Lu Han’s gaze on her and stopped eating abruptly. “Is something wrong on my face? Ice cream stain?” She wiped but there was nothing. She looked back to Lu Han who was still looking at her with soft gaze. She could feel her cheek flaming as she looked back into those twinkling eyes.

“You have beautiful eyes,” he said after a minute long of staring.

She looked away to the emerald blue sea, blushing crazily as her heart beating faster for the reason she herself still oblivious of. “Thanks… I guess.”

Lu Han chuckled and started to eat his own ice cream. She peeked on Lu Han from the corner of her eyes and smiled. She has no idea why Lu Han suddenly looked different in her eyes. Was it because her vision wasn’t as perfect as now before? Or because Lu Han was now the hero of her life?

“Lu… uh, Oppa…,” she bit her lower lip.

“Me? What?” Lu Han smiled softly at her and she felt her heart beating louder in her ear.

“Thank you…,” she whispered in a soft voice, so that only Lu Han could hear it. “Thank you for saving me… again. I owe you my life.” She looked down, flushed.

Lu Han chuckled again as he ruffled her hair. “It’s no big deal, Jang Mi.”

It is… it’s my life you saved. Twice.

***

“Okay…, this is not what I thought about when I say we’re going to the beach…,” Jang Mi said shakily at the sight underneath her. The vast emerald blue sea all around with blue sky as the roof, a dream come true for the travel seeker, but not for this one… considering her fear of height. “Can’t I just stay somewhere while you guys having your research?”

Kris sighed and he held tighter to Jang Mi’s waist while she clutched to him tight and they were floating above the water. “I would love to drop you somewhere… or in the water, but Lu Han would not allow me, so you’re stuck here with me.”

Jang Mi and Kris were flying just above the spot where the other Exo boys were diving a few moments ago. It was all starting with Tao missing for his stroll on the beach alone. The boy was so fascinated by the beautiful sea that he separated himself from his friends to explore the place more. They were panicked (it was more like Jang Mi panicked while the other boys just shrugged knowing Tao’s love for exploration) by his sudden disappearance, when he ran back telling the other boys that he saw living environment under the sea.

Being the curious aliens they were, they quickly navigated themselves to do a research on the living things under the water. Somehow, using some of their powers, Jang Mi has no idea whose power using for what, they managed to stay under water for quite a long time. They were exploring underwater, while Jang Mi and Kris watched them going in since Jang Mi were still a little afraid of water because of the things that happened earlier, and no one but Kris could fly to keep an eye on them while they dived.

She snapped her head and sent that annoyed look to Kris and Kris rolled his eyes at her. “I know I irk you as much as you irk me here, Captain Kris,” she stated with annoyed tone, as she held herself not to slap the handsome Captain’s face and ended up being a shark’s dinner if he let her go from his arm.

“Good to know,” Captain Kris nodded in agreement.

“But we cannot be like this for you stay in my house and we work in the same place which means we meet almost 24/7.”

“… true to your words. And?”

“Let’s call it a truce.” She raised her head and met eye to eye with the Captain and looked at him with prestigious light in her eyes, as if she want to state this is her earth and high-tech alien or not, this is her ground and no one can look down on her.

Kris stayed silent for a few second, studying her eyes as she stated the truce. “Okay. Truce it is.”

“Truce…,” Jang Mi held out her hand as she smiled to The Captain.

“Truce,” Kris slipped his hand into her and gave a small grin.

When they both were having their truce deal, Tao’s head popped out off the water. He smiled widely and Kris floated down closer to him to see what he was holding. Jang Mi clutched to Kris’ t-shirt as she watched the water getting closer and closer under her feet.

“There’s plant underneath the water, look!” Tao held out a fistful of seaweed and waved it to them.

“How…,” Kris observed the seaweed, clearly fascinated. “Do you have any idea how a plant can grow underwater, Lee Jang Mi?”

“I have no idea, Captain Kris. God knows how. Let’s just get out of here, there might be sharks around here and I don’t want to die in the middle of Donghae Sea,” she did not pay attention to the seaweed at all, she was watching the blue sea under her feet.

“Shark? What’s shark?” Tao asked innocently.

“You know… big fish, a lot of sharp teeth, eats human...,” she shivered remembering how scary the movie Jaws was.

“Huh?” Tao scratched his head. “Big fish? Does its eyes separated by a stick like bone face?”

Jang Mi nodded acknowledging Tao’s words. “That would be a hammerhead shark. How do you know them?”

“Lay is playing with one right now,” he gestured at the world underwater.

“What?!” Jang Mi screamed in disbelief.

Tao nodded. “He and Lu Han are now playing with the shark while searching other living creature down there. Look,” he took out his other hand from under the water and showed them a sea cucumber that wiggled on his hand. “I thought it was a plant until it started moving on my hand.”

“How fascinating,” Kris flown closer to take a better look of the sea cucumber.

“Cute, right?” Tao grinned broadly.

“Yes Tao, it’s cute,” Kris patted his head.

Jang Mi, who was clearly shock and at lost, screamed. “Excuse me?! But two of your friends are now in danger by a hammerhead shark and the two of you are amazed by a wiggly sea cucumber?!” Kris raised his brow at her sudden high tone and Tao looked taken aback. He quickly pulled the sea cucumber back into the water.

“They’ll be fine… Lay is…,” Kris’s explanation was cut when Jang Mi pried Kris’ hand from her waist. “What are you doing?”

Jang Mi took a deep breath before capping her nose. “Saving my saviors!”

And she dived into the sea.