You're Awesome

EXO: The Boys From Another Planet

 

“He insisted to take the roses!” Jang Mi sulkily pointed at the brightly smiling Lu Han when Mr. Yoo looked at her with a ‘what’s-with-the-lovey-dovey-bouquets?’ look.

“She said I look like the Baby’s Breath,” Lu Han said back, pointing at the bouquet. “Because both of us took it, so I think it should represent us. Me and Jang Mi,” he showed Mr. Yoo Baby’s Breath and Roses small bouquets.

Mr. Yoo chuckled. “Romance’s in the air…,” he hummed.

“Oh God… I think I’m gonna be sick,” Jang Mi squealed and turned back toward the storeroom.

Mr. Yoo shook his head and tapped the confused Lu Han’s shoulder. “Ignore her, she’s not a romantic that girl. That’s why she never gets any date.”

“I heard that!” Jang Mi shouted from the storeroom. “And I don’t need dates!” She came out from the store room bringing a medium size container along with some soil in it.

“Everybody need dates, you romance-less girl!” Mr. Yoo poked her forehead before went to kitchen, where D.O and Xiumin were learning how to make pancakes.

“What’s that for?” Lu Han asked when she put down the container next to the window. “Why would you put some dirt in it?”

“Be quiet, Alien… and watch!” She pulled up some rose seeds that she got from the florist earlier and put it inside the container of soil, covering it with more soil and put some water on it. “Done!”

Lu Han watched as she did all that and he tilted his head after, “Nothing happened.”

Jang Mi rolled her eyes. “Of course nothing happened… yet! This is how you grow a plant, Lu Han. You put it in the earth, give it water, give it time, shower it with love etc. etc. … and voila,” she made a popping gesture with her hands.

“When? When will it grow?” She heard a voice behind her and saw Kris behind the counter, looking at the container interestingly.

“I forgot to remind you that you will need patient too,” Jang Mi shook her head and left the two boys staring at the pot container, as if their stare would make the plant grow faster.

“Will that really grow? Don’t you have to put it in incubation room first? Intoxicate the soil first? Make sure the water has no toxic?” Kris asked when she went to wash her soil covered hands.

Jang Mi shook her head, “In case you forgot. This is Earth… we still have some clean soil and clean water. The plant will do just fine with some water and sunlight. You just need to take care of them. Aye? Captain?” And she drifted back toward the stairs.

“You will not be able to say that in a few hundred years…,” Kris muttered, staring at the pot again.

Jang Mi heard it and she stared the Captain sadly. “I bravely say we will. Some people are trying to make this planet better you know? Some of us know we cannot keep ruining the Mother Earth. We…,” she shook her head, “some of us still care.” With that, she left Kris and Lu Han toward the bookstore.

Kris sighed. “It offended her, right? The words I say?” He asked Lu Han.

The boy shrugged. “I’m not allowed to read her mind unless it’s necessary.”

Kris leaned on the counter and sipped on his cappuccino that Lay drew earlier. “I’m starting to like this food stuff… and this place.”

“Aren’t we all are,” Lu Han chuckled and gestured at his friends. Xiumin and D.O were still making pancakes, a little too much of pancakes while Chan Yeol and Kai eating their creations. Lay were still being taught by Mr. Yoo on how to draw on Cappuccino, being watched intently by Se Hun while he slurped his bubble tea. Su Ho still figuring out how to make Espresso, now that he get used to the taste he enjoyed the bitter liquid more.  Chen, Baek Hyun and Tao were busy with arranging the flower, each of them wanted to put as many roses as possible in every table. Chen was fussing about what kind of fruit would the rose made if it made up with a bug and skip outside to find a bug.

“If we can, I want to stay here as long as possible,” Lu Han said as he watched Tao sniffing the bouquet he held and beamed at the scent.

“But you know we can’t,” Kris tucked his finger into his cappuccino and the the creamy foam. “I’ll take this stuff back home.” He mumbled to himself.

Mr. Yoo raised his head off Lay’s now almost shaped cappuccino bear. “Lu Han? If you have nothing to do, will you please help Jang Mi at the bookstore? We have enough people for the café, but she’s alone downstairs.”

Lu Han nodded. “Okay, Mr. Yoo,” he walked toward the stairs but Kris stopped him.

“Han, don’t get too close with the Earthling. We don’t want things to get hard when we’re leaving,” Kris whispered.

“I know, Captain. I’m just being a friend,” he patted Kris’ shoulder and then left toward the bookstore.

“You better be,” Kris said and sipped his cappuccino again.

Lu Han went downstairs and found Jang Mi sorting the new books that just arrived. She would read the title first, then the back cover, grin at what was written and stack the books into low piles of the same genres. Lu Han grinned and went in front of the table she was stacking the books on and tried to read the words but he got confused. “How do you read this?” he asked.

“Oh my!” She held her hand close to her heart, clearly startled by Lu Han’s sudden appearance. “Will you please stop scaring me like that?! You show up just like a ghost! Kai is even worse than a ghost.”

“I’m sorry,” Lu Han grinned sheepishly. “What’s a ghost?” he asked again.

Jang Mi opened up to answer but then closed it up again. She sighed, “You better just find a book, it will explain better than me.”

“Oh right, a book,” Lu Han help up a book in front of him. “How do you read this book?”

She stared at Lu Han with furrowed brow. “Is this the way you telling me that you’re illiterate?”

Lu Han scoffed, “I can read, Lee Jang Mi. Just not this… language,” he stared at the book.

“It’s called Hangeul,” she smiled and took the book from Lu Han’s hand and stacked it on the poetry books pile.

“Hangeul?” he took another book and looked at it with clear interest.

She nodded. “Yes, it’s what we call our writing in Korean. I’ll teach you how to read them later.”

“You don’t have to,” he said as he pulled out the transparent smart-phone thingy out his jeans’ pocket. He tapped on its screen a few times before it showed Hangeul characters, Chinese characters and every other character that people on Earth use. The screen blinked a few times and showed another wild writing that Jang Mi saw the first time they met. “Okay… so this is… Pi Cheon Deuk’s poems collection.” He read the book’s title. “What’s poem?”

Jang Mi’s brows furrowed. This boy in front of her just read a book’s title when just a minute ago he was a complete Hangeul illiterate. She eyed the smart phone thingy again. That thing appeared too often when curious things happened. It must have something to do with the boys’ magic.

“I’ve been curious, what is that?” She pointed at the transparent smart-phone.

Lu Han smiled and put the thing at the table, right in front of Jang Mi. “It’s our artificial intelligent tablet. We use it to record our everyday life since the first day our travel begins. It also took information from the new planets we visits and give us the information we needs, including languages,” He peered at Jang Mi who made a big ‘o’ with . “I know you’ve been asking yourself ‘how do these aliens speak Korean so perfectly? They’ve got to be playing with me,’ when we met for the very first time. Here…,” he pushed the tablet in front of her closer. “… is the answer. You’re not trapped in Alice’s rabbit hole again, right?” he smiled thoughtfully, referring to the day when she though Su Ho’s name was extremely Korean and not fitting Alien’s image in her mind.

“… I don’t know whether to think that you’re awesome or creepy at this moment,” she stared blankly at Lu Han.

Lu Han chuckled. “I would be glad if you stop thinking that I’m creepy. I mean no harm,” he raised his hand, like admitting a defeat.

“… you’re awesome, then,” Jang Mi chuckled along.