Bouquet of Hearts

EXO: The Boys From Another Planet

 

Jang Mi walked toward the café bookshop slowly. Her head was hanging low and she didn’t even pay attention to where she walked to. She had been tripped a lot on her way there, and now her knee and hands were scrapped and bleeding slightly. But she did not feel it.

She has this weight in her heart. She didn’t want Lu Han to know her feeling yet she wanted him to feel the same way with her. She wanted to forget him yet she longed to see his face. She didn’t want to feel that fluttery feelings again, yet she want him to be around her. She was in deep battle with herself.

Jang Mi arrived at the bookshop. She sighed as she saw the café’s placard: Etoile Café & Bookshop. Etoile… stars. The far bunch of rocks that glowing brightly with their helium. Who know that those things she loved to watch the most had lives in it. A planet somewhere between millions and millions of those fiery rocks is dying. Its only hope is those 10 young boys who were busy watching her young rose growing. They need to get back to the planet. But… what will happen to her then?

A tear fell on her cheek. She quickly wiped it and shook her head to gain her right mind back. She nodded. Let’s just leave it to fate for now, Jang Mi, she told herself, que sera sera… whatever happens, happens. She nodded and stepped into the bookshop.

“I’m here,” she said as she tried to wipe her eyes again, removing the rest of tear stain on it.

The bookshop was vacant. There was no one there behind the cashier. She was wondering where everyone was when Lu Han’s head suddenly popped from up stairs as he smiled widely to her. “You’re here,” he said with singing voice. Jang Mi’s heart started to flutter again. She nodded to him. He moved toward the stairs and advancing to her with a bunch of Baby’s Breath with a pink Rose slipped in it. She caught her breath as he finally stopped in front of her and handed her the bouquet. “For you.”

Her head buzzing as she stared at the pretty bouquet in front of her. What should she say when she accept it? ‘I like you’? That would be too much. ‘Go out with me’? Would that do? Should she just say a simple ‘Thank You’?

Lu Han frowned at her blank reaction as she just stared at the bouquet in his hand but did not make a move to take it. Did she not like it? He did not dare to read her mind if that would come out. His palm started to get sweaty. “It’s for you. I made it myself. Take it.” He brought it closer to her.

Still with her blank look she stared the flowers. “Why?”

Why… among all the words she was choosing in her mind, the one that she was able to utter was one of five damned W-H question. What the… brain, what’s wrong with you?!

Lu Han was taken aback by the question while Jang Mi cursing herself inwardly. Lu Han frowned as he concentrated to find the answer himself. Yeah… why did he make it? Why did this bouquet must be filled with Baby’s Breath and a Rose while the other bouquet he made with Chen and Tao was created from Baby’s Breath and Daisies? Why did he beg for a stalk of rose at the florist as he was told his budget wouldn’t be enough for twenty stalks of Roses and they ended up choosing Daisies instead? Why was his mind filled with Jang Mi’s smile as he was thinking how she would react if he gave her the Baby’s Breath-Rose Bouquet. The bouquet of their flowers.

“I don’t know…,” he said with low voices. “I just thought you would like it. But if you don’t…,” he lowered his hand that was holding up the bouquet.

Jang Mi quickly reached out her hand and took the bouquet from Lu Han. “I like it,” she hugged the bouquet. Lu Han stared at her, startled. The Rose’s fragrant came to her sense and her smile slowly spread. “I love it,” she said again as she peeked at Lu Han shyly.

Lu Han’s smile went wider and he grinned along with her. “I’m glad you like it.”

Kris watched them from the top stairs as Lu Han scratched his unitchy head and Jang Mi hid her face on the bouquet. He had been there for a few minutes already. He crossed his arms and leaned on the wall and stared at the two with worry. Lay went next to him and saw what caused the expression.

“Man, this is bad.”

Kris grabbed his arm to stop him. “Where are you going?”

He released himself, “Throwing some ice to a fiery hole,” he answered the Captain before walking toward them, shouting loud. “Jang Mi, what happened to your knee?!”

Jang Mi jumped back, away from Lu Han and looked to found the loud voice was Lay’s.

“You’re hurt?” Lu Han asked, sounded shock.

“Uh… I tripped.” She answered as Lay pushed Lu Han further from her and took her to a chair.

“Let me check that. You may get infected,” he let Jang Mi sat and check on her wound.

“I’m fine…,” she said as Lay covered her knee with his hand and cold sensation spread there. “Really, Oppa.”

Lu Han stood there blankly watching Lay healing Jang Mi while Kris was still watching from upstairs.

***

“Han, come with me…,” Kris called Lu Han that night after their shift ended at the café.

Lu Han tilted his head but obediently followed Kris as he walked toward the nearby park. The other boys nodded to Kris when Kris told them to go ahead to the apartment, following Jang Mi who went first with Tao.

“What is it?” Lu Han asked as Kris took a seat on the bottom of a slide?

Kris crossed his arms and looked up to the boy who was standing not far away from him. “I saw it.”

Lu Han frowned. “Huh? Saw what?”

Kris sighed and looked up to Seoul’s too bright sky. He could barely see stars because of the light pollution. “I saw the way you look at Jang Mi.” He looked straight to his eyes then. “I told you not to get too close to her. It was to prevent this happening, Han!”

Lu Han shook his head. “There’s nothing happened between us! What’s wrong with the way I look at Jang Mi? She’s a friend, right? I look at her the way I look at you! No, more like the way I look at Tao. Or Sehun,” he started pacing around back and forth.

Kris raised one of his brows and Lu Han gritted his teeth when he saw his expression.

“It was because she’s a girl, Kris! She’s weaker than us! You saw her! She’s tripped even by her own feet!” He stopped pacing and gripped his shirt at where his heart was. “I just feel like I have to protect her.”

Kris sighed. “Are you sure that’s it?”

Lu Han hesitated for a moment but then he nodded. “I’m sure.”

Kris nodded although he did not believe the other boy’s word. “If that was it, then….” He gave him one last nod and flew to the sky after, leaving Lu Han staring at the dark spot in the sky where he went a moment before.

“I’m sure. That was it.” He muttered to himself.