Chapter 9

What. The. Heck!

Sunday. That’s the day that I like to roam around. I just head out the door with nothing planned and let what happens, happen. Today I’m grounded though, so it’s not going to be happening. My mom went over to Mr. Smith’s and left without me so I was home alone. I really wish she would have let me go. I wanted to go and see Woohyun. I wanted to know what his house was like.

            Hoya was no where in the house. At least if he was here he wasn’t showing himself. I kept calling out to him for him to show himself but never got an answer from him. It was after I had my lunch that Hoya appeared.

            “Don’t apologize.” He told me.

            “I need to though. It’s my fault.”

            “No. You weren’t driving the car. You have no reason to apologize.”

            “The car wouldn’t have been going your way if I had been paying attention to where I was walking.”

            Hoya cam up and put his hands on my shoulders.

            “Listen. You’re not at fault. If you want to believe you are and apologize then I forgive you. Can we just go back to me annoying you and you acting like you hate when we both know you love it.”

            I pushed his arms off and crossed mine across my chest.

            “I don’t like it when you annoy me.”

            “Please, you live for me annoying you.”

            “In your dreams.”

            “Strange. There is no chocolate fountain. They are always in my dreams.”

            I rolled my eyes and smacked his arm.

            “You can’t get hurt if you’re in a dream.” I told him

            “Technically, you can get hurt. You just don’t feel the pain.”

            I went to contradict him but he was right. I just sighed and admitted defeat. Hoya and I sat down and watched a movie. Then another. Out of nowhere Hoya asked,

            “Shouldn’t you be worried?”

            I paused the movie and looked over at him.

            “Worried about what?” I asked him.

            “The fact that you can see me. Does your family have a history of seeing ghosts? Can you only see me? If so, why me?”

            “My mom would tell me if her family had a history like that. However, I don’t know anything about my dad.”

            “Am I the only ghost that you can see?”

            I nodded.

            “As far as I know, you are the only one that I see. Yet, it doesn’t make sense. You’re not really dead.”

            Hoya shrugged his shoulders.

            “Maybe I’m a special ghost and you only see ghosts like me.”

            I gave him a look asking if he was serious.

            “At least I’m thinking of things. I don’t see you coming up with anything.”

            I turned my attention back to the TV and went back to playing the movie. Hoya snatched the remote from me and stopped the movie.

            “You are so rude.” He said.

            “You think that I’m rude? You are clearly the rude one. You eat my cookies and just barge into my room.”

            Hoya rolled his eyes.

            “Will you ever get over the fact that I ate your cookies?” he asked.

            I shook my head.

            “No. Never.”

            “Fine then. By the way, I didn’t barge into you’re room. I looked up in time to watch the car knock into me. Then I was in you’re room. I was confused but I decided to go with it and just started to read a book. Learn before you accuse.”

            “If I appeared in some stranger’s room, I’d leave. That’s just me though.”

            “Because you are a goody-two-shoes.”

            I stood up outraged.

            “Am not! I’m grounded right now. Do goody-two-shoes get grounded?”

            Hoya stood up too as he spoke.

            “When around the wrong people, yes. I think Woohyun is the person. You should cancel your date with him.”

            “Shut up about Woohyun!” I yelled.

            “He was my friend way before he asked you out! I don’t have too!”

            “Then leave!”

            “Glad to!”

            Hoya then disappeared right in front of me. I sighed and sat back down on the couch. I groaned as my phone went off. I looked at it and saw it was my mom. Checking up on me no doubt.

            “Hey, mom.” I said.

            “Hey sweetie, Danny wants to know if you wanted to join us for dinner.”

            Great. She was already calling him Danny instead of Daniel.

            “And ruin your date? Why would I do that?” I asked.

            “ChanSook, it’s not like that. The Myungsoo boy and his family will be here as well as another family and there boy.”

            It had to be Woohyun. Unless someone else lived on that street that I didn’t know about. I don’t think it’s likely though.

            “In that case, I’ll come.” I said.

             I then heard a car horn. I walked over and peered out the window and saw my mom’s car. I ended the call and went out to the car.

            “Were you here the whole time?”

            My mom nodded as I got in the car. It was a quick ride to the house and I saw Myungsoo outside the house, lying on the grass. He sat up when we pulled up and once the car was parked I got out and sat next to him.

            “Is Woohyun here?” I asked him.

            Myungsoo nodded and then got off of the ground.

            “Have fun.” He told me.

            I was confused for a moment. I watched him walk inside the house and looked at the door thinking that Woohyun would appear. He had to right? Soon, Myungsoo was pushing him out the door. He had an adorable confused face on. He then caught eye of me and came over after thanking Myungsoo.

            “Let’s go.” He said.

            He grabbed my arm and tried to get me off the ground.

            “Go? Go where?” I asked.

            “My house.” He said.

            “I don’t think my mom will let me.”

            “Well then get up and let’s ask her.”

            I got off the ground and we went inside to where my mom was talking to Myungsoo’s mom.

            “Mom. May I please go to Woohyun’s? Its two houses down. Please.”

            “You’re grounded though.”

            “I’ll be good. We’re just going to talk. We will stay outside. How about that?”

            I stood, impatiently as I waited for my mom to say something. Myungsoo’s mom decided to give her two cents before my mom decided.

            “Don’t let her. This is why you grounded her.” She said.

            “You’re right. Sorry, but no.” My mom said.

            I sighed and Woohyun grabbed my hand.

            “Let’s head out to the backyard then.” He said.

            We went out back and lay in the grass.

            “I heard you learned Hoya’s identity.”

            I nodded as I thought about Hoya. The ghost one.

            “Of all people, why you? Of anyone that could have been the almost victim, why was it you?” Woohyun questioned.

            “I believe that things happen for a reason. It may not be known right now but soon it will.”

            “What do you mean almost victim?”

            Woohyun and I turned our heads to see my mom and Myungsoo’s mom standing outside, in front of the door.

            “I told your mom we should keep an eye out on you.” Myungsoo’s mom said.

            I didn’t really like her. I say she’s better then this Danny guy but I still don’t like her. My mom repeated her question.

            “On Monday a car almost hit me. Instead it hit someone else and I didn’t know about it.”

            Myungsoo’s mom laughed.

            “How can you not see when a car hits a person?”

            “They were kneeling down to tie there shoes. I’d rather not talk about it but that’s who I was visiting yesterday.”

            My mom ran over to me and sat me up giving me a big hug and checking me all over.

            “So you weren’t hit at all? And you are sure that you’re okay?” she asked.

            I nodded.

            “Mom, this happened on Monday. I’m fine.”

            “Is that why you’ve been like this? Did that almost accident shake you up?”

            “Yes.” I said.

            Hopefully she’ll take me off my grounding.

            “For today, I’ll let you go to Woohyun’s. I’ll let you know tomorrow if you are fully off the hook.”

            I nodded and gave my mom a hug before me and Woohyun went over to his house.

            “You weren’t really shaken up were you?” he asked.

            “I was. It just didn’t cause me to act the way I did.”

            “What did then?”

            “I wish I could tell you.”

            If I told Woohyun the truth and that it was all Hoya. Ghost Hoya to be more specific. If I told him that, then he’d look at me like I was a freak.

            “Why can’t you?”

            “Because,” I said and looked down at my feet. “I’ll sound crazy.”

            “Try me.” Woohyun said.

            He sounded farther away and I looked around and noticed he had gone into the kitchen. I decided that I was going to distract him.

            “Are you going to cook or something?” I asked.

            “Yes. I figured right now is a good time to have that date. Don’t you?”

            I nodded and asked what he was making for dinner.

            “It’s a surprise.” He said.

            “So I can’t help?”

            Woohyun shook his head.

            “You can look around the house or you can watch me. Either one.”

            I pulled a chair over and sat at the kitchen counter.

            “I love a guy that can cook.” I told him.

            Woohyun put on the radio and he made our dinner while we sang along to the radio. The topic never came back up. Soon, instead of singing, I went to lip singing as I was ashamed by my voice. Mine didn’t sound like a cat in the blender but to Woohyun’s voice it was terrible. He had such an amazing voice.

            “I love your voice.” I told him.

            “Thank you.” He said with an amazing smile on.

            Then ghost Hoya appeared next to me and mimicked my love for his voice. Before I could say anything else, he left. Woohyun looked at the space that Hoya just was.

            “Why are you glaring at that empty space?”

            I turned my head to look at him and I fumbled for a reason.

            “Oh, well, I…”

            I was lucky enough to be saved by a timer going off.

            “It’s done!” Woohyun cheered.

            We had dinner and our date went great. Marvelous, actually. I hope my mom lets me off the hook so I can go on another date with him sooner. Before I left, Woohyun kissed my cheek.

            “I’ll see you in school.” He told me.

            I just nodded to avoid saying something stupid right now. My mom took me home and she interrogated me about what I did over at Woohyun’s.

            “Ate dinner.” I said simply.

            “That’s all?”

            “No. we talked too.”

            I went straight to my room when I got home and Hoya was in my room.

            “That was not cool.” I told him.

            “You really shouldn’t date him.” Hoya told me.

            “Just let me go to sleep.”

            Hoya then vanished and I crawled into my bed and fell asleep with a smile on my face.