Chapter 11

What. The. Heck!

            The thing that woke me up the next morning was the sound of Hoya tripping over something and yelling at it. I looked at the clock and saw I still had an hour until I had to be up for school.

            “Hoya, what are you doing?” I asked.

            “I’m tripping over your shoes.” He replied.

            I got out of bed and sat next to him on the floor.

            “Ghosts shouldn’t be able to trip over things like shoes.”

            “I know, and I’ve been thinking. What if I’m not a full ghost? What if I’m… let’s say half ghost. I mean, I can trip over inanimate objects, and I can touch you. On the other hand, only you see me and I can vanish and come back whenever I want.”

            “Okay. Half ghost. I can accept that. It makes sense. You’re not really dead.”

            We got off the ground and sat on my bed and he asked about my day yesterday after my detention. He had spent detention with me and left once it was over and Woohyun had come in.

            “You mean that you didn’t spy on us?” I asked him.

            “No. I was off doing things.”

            “What things?”

            Hoya chuckled and shook his head.

            “Don’t try to turn the tables on me. I asked you first.”

            Hoya wasn’t as easily distracted as Woohyun was.

            “He took me to get ice cream to make me feel better, sang to me a little, we went for a walk in the park…”

            “So basically, he was unoriginal.”

            “No he wasn’t.”

            “Yes he was. It’s so typical to go eat ice cream when you’re feeling down and then going for a little walk afterwards.”

            I rolled my eyes and asked him what he would have done.

            “Well, instead of ice cream, we would have gone to McDonalds.”

            “McDonalds? Really?”

            “Yes. They have awesome food. Therefore, we would go there, then to a movie, and then I would not only sing, but also dance and rap.”

            “So basically, show off.”

            “For a good cause.”

            I laughed to myself as I got up to take a shower. Hoya pulled me back down on the bed though.

            “I still need to talk to you.”

            “What about?”

            “I need to know if Woohyun kissed you.”

            He needed to know? Hoya didn’t need to know that. He wanted to know that. I didn’t correct him on his words. I jut shook my head.

            “He tried to, but we were interrupted.” I said.

            I got up again and was waiting to have Hoya pull me back down but I guess he heard everything that he wanted to hear. I took my shower and I was paranoid the whole time. I thought that Hoya would find it hilarious to just pop into the bathroom. Luckily he didn’t think about it. Or if he did, he didn’t act upon it. My mom was shocked to see that I had was already up and ready by the time she was up.

            “I just woke up early today.” I told her.

            “How are you feeling today?” she asked me.

            “I’m feeling great.” I said.

            Today Woohyun came and we walked down to school together.

            “Do you want to get more ice cream after school?” he asked.

            “Yeah, that sounds good.” I said.

            Woohyun grabbed onto my hand and at the same time Sungjong was coming at us from the right. I waved to him and he went ahead of us and didn’t even give me a smile. I called out his name and he fastened his pace. I tried to pull Woohyun along so we can catch up to him but he wouldn’t budge.

            “Sungjong needs some alone time.” He told me.

            After School was over, we stopped to get some ice cream then he walked me back to my house. We stopped outside my house and we stood silent for a moment.

            “So I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” I told him.

            I was sort of hoping that he would kiss me right now. It doesn’t seem like he’s going to though. Yet as I placed my hand on the handle to go inside, Woohyun grabbed that hand and stopped me. I watched him as he leaned in closer and soon we were kissing. I then heard a loud banging on the door and backed away. Woohyun gave me a confused look.

            “What?” he asked.

            “You didn’t hear someone knocking?” I asked.

            Woohyun shook his head.

            “Why would someone be knocking? They’re already inside.”

            I then realized what it was. Or should I say who it was. Hoya. He did that so I would stop kissing Woohyun.     

            “Of course. I must be hearing things.”

            Woohyun gave me another quick kiss before he left. I went inside and saw Hoya standing innocently by the door.

            “You loser.” I said to him.

            “Excuse me?” my mom said.

            I then noticed my mom was in the kitchen fixing dinner. Hoya was on the ground laughing as I explained to her I was talking about myself. I discretely glared at Hoya before stomping off to my room. I waited for him to show up. That loser decided that he was going to wait. He made me pace the floor for ten minutes before he showed up. The minute he did I smacked him in the head.

            “Ow! What was that for?” he asked as he rubbed his head.

            “You know what that was for. For interrupting my kiss, making me look like an idiot in front of Woohyun, also making me look like an idiot in front of my mom.”         

            “You could have ignored my knocking.”

            I rolled my eyes at him and just left the room. I went to the kitchen to talk to my mom and see how dinner was coming.

            “Dinner is going good. Now why don’t you tell me why you think that you are a loser?”

            I should smack Hoya again.

            “I made myself sound like an idiot in front of Woohyun.” I said.

            “What did you say?”

            “We were kissing and then I thought I heard someone knocking so I back up. Woohyun asked why and I told him about what I heard. Then I realize it’s impossible because we’re outside. Who would be knocking from inside? That is why I’m a loser.”

            My mom stopped what she was doing and looked at me with shock.

            “Kissing? You two are already kissing?”

            “…yeah?” I said in a form of a question.

            I didn’t see anything wrong with us kissing right now.

            “What’s wrong with us kissing? We’re dating.”

            “I barely even know the boy. Heck, I don’t think I even know him at all. I forbid you to kiss him until he comes over and has dinner!”

            I looked at my mom with surprise. I wasn’t expecting that. At all. Hoya was then next to me.

            “You just got in trouble. You just got in trouble.” He said like a first grader.

            It was so hard not to slap him. I went for stomping his foot instead. He grabbed onto it and started to hop around.

            “I saw an ant.” I told my mom who was giving me a curious look.

            The door bell rang and I opened it to see Sungjong standing there with his math book.

            “I tried the others but none of them can explain it like you can.” He told me.

            I then heard my mom coming up from behind me.

            “Is this the boy you’ve been kissing?” she asked.

            “What? No! Mom, Woohyun was at Mr. Smith’s. Remember the guy whose house you let me go over to?”

            “You kissed Woohyun?” Sungjong asked.

            I nodded and moved aside so that he could come in. Once he was in, I closed the door behind him.

            “If this isn’t Woohyun, then who is this?”

            “Mom, this is Sungjong. He’s a friend and a grade below me. He needs help in his math. Sungjong, this is my mom.”

            “It’s nice to meet you.” Sungjong said.

            “You seem like a very nice boy. Would you like to join us for dinner? It’s almost ready.”

            Sungjong said he wouldn’t mind staying for dinner. I showed him to my room and he looked around at first.

            “I like your room.” He told me.

            “Thanks.”

            “Yeah. Hoya loves purple.”

            He was referring to my lavender colored walls. Hoya decided to appear next to me and verify Sungjong’s words. It made me jump and made Sungjong look at me with curiosity.

            “Hold on one minute.” I told him.

            I took Hoya with me into the bathroom and talked to him in a whisper.

            “Don’t bother me while Sungjong is here. Got that?”

            “Sungjong doesn’t care if you’re a freak.”

            “Still, don’t bother me.”

            I walked out of the bathroom and back to my room where Sungjong had laid all of his homework out. We lay on my floor, side by side, and worked on some math until dinner was done. We took a break, ate, and then went right back to work. Sungjong left around nine and once he was gone my mom said we needed to talk.

            “I just wanted you to know that until Woohyun comes over, I approve of only Sungjong.”

            I let out a sigh. I should have seen this coming.

            “Mom, it’s not like that.” I told her.

            “Unless you want me to keep saying it I suggest that you invite Woohyun over for dinner tomorrow.”

            I took out my phone and dialed in Woohyun’s number. Almost right away he answered.

            “Hey, ChanSook. What’s up?”

            “My mom says that you need to have dinner over here tomorrow so she can approve of you.”

            I heard Woohyun chuckle and I smiled. I just loved his laugh.

            “I thought she already did though. Remember? Dinner?”

            “I do but I guess she doesn’t. So, what do you say?”

            “I say I’d love to.”

            After I told my mom he would be there, I left the room to continue to talk to him in private. We talked late into the night and I said goodbye once I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore. I wonder how dinner will turn out.