Chapter 16

What. The. Heck!

The next day at school I saw Woohyun with another girl. He wasn’t just talking with her and I wasn’t just exaggerating. He had already moved on. Woohyun was kissing this girl. I decided it was best to spend time with Kari today. When I found her though, she was making out with Yoseob. I guess they’re doing well. Then I saw Dongwoo walking down the hall with his crutches and cast. A bunch of girls were following behind him. He came up to me and gave me a note. I was nervous to read it.

            “Just respond by lunch.” He said.

            That made me more nervous. He better not be asking me out in this note. Dongwoo walked off and the girls followed suit. Each one of them giving me a glare. I rolled my eyes at them. It’s not like that between us. I waited until I was in class to read it.

 

            Dear ChanSook,

            I know Sungjong already told you this for me but I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that when you were dating Woohyun. I think my mind was a little bit wacky from the accident. You’re cool and all, but you shouldn’t date me. Or Woohyun or Sungjong. I’m not writing this though so I can tell you who to date. I’m writing this to tell you I’m sorry and I hope we can stay friends.

                                                            Your friend, (hopefully)

                                                                                    Dongwoo ^^

 

            This little letter seemed like a weird thing to do. Why not just tell me in person?

            “What’s that?” Kari asked.

            She took the note and I didn’t bother to take it back. She might get the wrong impression. After all it’s just a note where Dongwoo is saying he wants us to be friends. She looked shocked by the end of the note.

            “He asked you out?” she asked.

            I nodded and she rolled her eyes.

            “Why do you care? You’re dating Yoseob.”

            “I’m not mad that Dongwoo asked you out. Well, sort of. I’m just mad that you have a total of three guys that like you all at once. Nothing like that has ever happened to me.”

            “Trust me; it doesn’t sound as good you may think. And by the way, it’s one. Dongwoo doesn’t like me anymore and neither does Woohyun. I saw him with some girl. Only Sungjong likes me… I think.”

            “Just because he wants to be friends it doesn’t mean he is over you.”

            “You read the note. He was wacky from the accident.”

            When lunch came, I saw Dongwoo crowded by girls. He seemed to love and hate all of this attention that he was getting.

            “ChanSook!” he yelled to me.

            I went up to him and tried to get through the crowd. The girls wouldn’t let me.

            “Let her in.” Dongwoo said annoyed.

            “Do we have to?” one of them asked.

            “Yeah, I don’t want to.” Another whined.

            She was the closest to Dongwoo.

            “Let her in.” Dongwoo repeated.

            The girls sighed and made room for me to walk in.

            “You could say thank you.” The one who whined said.

            “Yeah, I could.”

            However I won’t because you don’t deserve it. I faced Dongwoo as he asked,

            “So, what’s your answer?”

            “Of course we can be friends.” I told him.

            The girls around seemed to be relieved.

            “Awesome! Do you want to have lunch with me buddy?”

            I looked around at all the girls that I knew wouldn’t leave his side.

            “I’m going to skip lunch today. I’m just not that hungry.” I told him.

            This time the girls were more then happy to make an opening so that I could leave. I left the cafeteria and went to an empty classroom. Hoya appeared at the teacher’s desk.

            “Didn’t I make a rule that you couldn’t come during school?” I asked.

            “No. I don’t remember hearing such a thing.”

            “Oh, right. I meant to.”

            “You might as well not bother. I’d break the rule anyway.”

            I rolled my eyes and took a seat at the desk closest to the teacher’s.

            “Ready for your homework assignment?” he asked.

            “What assignment would you give me?”

            “To go swimming with me tonight.”

            “Go swimming where?”

            “We’re totally going to go swim in the desert.” He said sarcastically. “Where do you think? A pool.”

            I got up and tapped him on the head with the ruler I took off of the teacher’s desk. He burst out laughing.

            “What the heck is so hilarious?” I asked.

            “You don’t want to hurt me. You care about me.”

            I tried to say a witty comeback but I was drawing a blank.

            “Shut up.” I told him and tapped him again.

            He fell out of the chair and was rolling on the floor laughing. When he was able to stop, he asked me if I was going to go swimming or not.

            “Right now I don’t want to go anywhere with you.”

            “Come on, don’t be miss grumpy gills.”

            “Miss grumpy gills? I’m not a fish, Hoya.”

            He came over and made me pucker my lips.

            “Now you are.” He said.

            I pushed him away and he chuckled.

            “Please?” Hoya begged.

            He grabbed onto my hands and I pulled them away.

            “Fine, we can go swimming. Just leave me alone.”

            Hoya cheered then he was gone.