Chapter 10

What. The. Heck!

When I woke up, my mom gave me the news that I wasn’t grounded anymore.

            “Can you just tell me what happened last Monday?” she asked.

            I stopped jumping for joy and Hoya appeared in one of the chairs.

            “I can’t wait to hear this.” He said.

            I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him.

            “Sure.” I said and sat down at the table.

            I told her how the car barely missed me and hit Hoya. How the scary guy came out and I fled in fear. I almost started to cry. While telling the story, I just felt so stupid and sorry for what I did. Hoya came over and put his arms around me to try to comfort me. That just made it even worse. I had to act like he wasn’t there and avoid hugging him tight and crying into his shirt. I just buried my face into my hands and started to sob. My mom tried to help me but I refused to let her. Right now I just wanted Hoya.

            “I’m sorry.” I said to him.

            I didn’t care my mom was right next to me.

            “Sweetie, its fine for you to feel like it’s your fault. It’s fine for you to feel bad that you didn’t stay. But if you think about it, what could you have done if you stayed?”

            “If I stayed, then I would have known I did all I could.” I said in between my sobs.

            “I wish I didn’t have to go to work but I have to.”

            My mom hugged me and I didn’t dare peek to see what it looked like. She left and as soon as I heard the door closed I hugged Hoya tight.

            “I’m sorry.” I said to him again.

            He shushed me and told me to just cry and let it all out. I tried not to think about the fact he was a ghost. When I did, it just made me want to cry more. I didn’t want Hoya to be a ghost. I understood that he was still alive and in a coma but that wasn’t good enough for me. I wanted the real Hoya here. I didn’t know why but I did. Then I wanted to cry even more for being selfish. I was sure that I was late for school by the time I had stopped. Didn’t Woohyun say he would pick me up and we’d go to school together? What happened to him coming over? Hoya walked with me to school. He wouldn’t let me run because he said it was best I stay calm and stress free right now. The fact I was going to be really late was stopping me from being calm though. Hoya walked with me all the way until we reached the outside of my classroom. He gave me a quick hug and then disappeared. I prepared for the worst as I entered my class. Everyone turned and looked at me so I looked down at my feet. I apologized for being late.

            “It’s okay. Just take your seat and make sure you’re here after school for detention.” My teacher said.

            I sat down and everyone started to whisper to the people next to them. Kari looked at me and didn’t say anything for a while. Then she finally asked,

            “Were you crying?”

            I nodded and then took a deep breath to try to stay calm.

            “Was it Woohyun? I warned you not to go out with him.”

            “It wasn’t Woohyun!’ I screamed.

            Everyone looked at me and I avoided all of their eyes. After everyone had gone back to their work, Kari and I continued our conversation.

            “Well then what’s wrong?”

            “Not like you even care.” I told her and crossed my arms over my chest.

            “I’m sorry about the other day. I’m still not over what Dongwoo did and I just figured if he does things like that then the others do as well. I’m sure that Woohyun isn’t like that.”

            “Why don’t you just forget about him and find someone else?”

            Kari shrugged.

            “Because of what Dongwoo did, I feel like the next guy I dated would just do the same thing to me. I really did like Dongwoo. I thought he liked me too. He didn’t though.”

            “Woohyun told me that he was interested in you. Sungyeol believed you wouldn’t go out with him. But I’ll help you find someone. Does that sound good?”

            Kari nodded then the bell rang. Was I really that late? Oh my gosh. We headed to our next class and I had to sit next to this guy named Yoseob. It gave me an idea.

            “Hi, Yoseob.” I said.

            I gave him a friendly smile but he just looked at me. I figured he was looking at my eyes.

            “Have you been crying?” he asked.

            “Yeah, I’m okay though.”

            “That’s good. Did you need something?”

            “I was just wondering if you were single or not.”

            “I’m currently single. Why do you ask?”

            I pointed over to Kari who was reading her book that we were assigned to read on Friday. Yoseob looked in the direction of my finger.

            “See my friend Kari? She could use a boyfriend. I was thinking that maybe you could give her a chance?”

            I watched him observe Kari.

            “She’s pretty cute. I’ll talk to her at lunch.”

            “Thank you, Yoseob.”

            At lunch I walked over to the guys and then stopped right in front of them. Woohyun got up but I ignored him and took a seat next to Sungjong. Sungjong smiled at me and I started a basic conversation with him by asking him how his weekend was. I listened to him tell me about his weekend for about a minute or two before Woohyun made him stop talking.

            “What the heck?” he asked. “Why are you sitting next to Sungjong and not me?”

            “Because you said that from now on you would walk me to school.”

            “I’m sorry. I meant to text you but it was early, I was tired, and Dongwoo was dragging me down to the hospital.”

            “Seriously, ChanSook. Don’t blame Woohyun. I dragged him out super early so we could go visit Hoya. Woohyun hasn’t exactly been a good friend and visited.”

            “I’m a good friend. I’ve just been busy.”

            “Well I needed you this morning.” I said to him.

            After I said the words, they didn’t seem that true to me. Thinking about this morning made me loose my appetite. I got up and was going to leave the cafeteria but Woohyun stopped me.

            “What happened?” he asked.

            “I told my mom about the almost accident and I started to cry.”

            Woohyun pulled me into a hug and apologized to me. Having his arms around me, I wanted to cry once again. I can’t cry at school though. I won’t do it. Woohyun lead me out of the cafeteria and into an empty classroom.

            “Do you want to talk?” he asked.

            I looked at him for a moment and had a crazy thought. Insane. I quickly got it out of my head. Kissing him right now is stupid. I’ve known him for a short time. A week. Then I remembered I had to answer him.

            “No.” I said.

            I’m not sure if Woohyun was reading my thoughts or if he was just going by his own. He walked closer though and leaned in to kiss me. Before he could, the door to the classroom opened. Woohyun backed up and we looked to the door to see Kari smiling wide.

            “ChanSook! You’ll never guess what! Yoseob, from our reading class, just asked me out.”

            I tried to be happy for her even though I was ticked off that she just barged in.

            “That’s fantastic!” I told her.

            “I know!”

            Kari ran off and I got rid of my smile I put on for her.

            “Let’s just go eat.” I said.

            I started to walk off and soon Woohyun took a hold of my hand and was walking with me. I felt kind of bad because I feel like I was the reason that everyone at the table wouldn’t talk. They all claimed that they were to busy to eat but I didn’t believe that. I could tell they were all worried about me. Even Dongwoo. I assured them I was okay even though I wasn’t.  

--------------------------------------------------------

I put Yoseob from Beast into the story! :) He will rarely show up. This might be the only chapter he appears in but we'll see. :)