Chapter 8

What. The. Heck!

Woohyun wasn't mad that I didn't respond. He figured my phone was taken away for the night. That's exactly what happened... except that in reality it was taken by Hoya and he believes my mom took it as part of my grounding. I went out for breakfast and my mom had a proposition for me.

            “You can leave the house today as long as you come with me.” she told me.

            “Where are we going?”

            “First is the hospital.”

            My ears perked up at the mention of the hospital.

            “Hospital? Why there?”

            “There was a little accident at work. You'd think working in an office would mean things like this wouldn't happen but someone at work had a birthday and we had cake. I was cutting it and, well, the knife cut his finger instead of the cake.”

            “His?” I questioned.

            “Don't you get any thoughts.” my mom warned me.

            “Well since dad isn't around-”

            “ChanSook! Are you going or aren't you?”

            I nodded and looked at my food. I had hit a soft spot mentioning dad. She said that he left us when she told him that she was going to be having me. The rest of breakfast was quiet and after that I got ready to go out.

            When we reached the hospital, I asked my mom for permission to go visit someone.

            “Who do you know that is here?” she asked.

            “He's a friend. Well, a friend of a friend.”

            I gave her a pleading look and she let me go. It took me a minute but I found his room. I walked in and saw Sungjong in there. He didn't notice me and continued talking to his friend and telling him all his problems.

            “Do you know how many times Woohyun has done that? A lot. Not just me. One time Sungyeol just mentioned a girl was cute then the next day they were together. He's... He's... Well he's your friend too you should know. ”

            I cleared my throat and Sungjong jumped out of the chair.

            “ChanSook? How much did you hear?” he asked.

            “I just heard you say something about Woohyun doing something a lot.”

            Sungjong sighed in relief and I looked at him curiously.

            “Wait, aren't you grounded? Tell me you didn't sneak out.”

            “I didn't. I'm here with my mom and she let me visit... your friend.”

            I went up and grabbed this poor guys hand. Sungjong and I were silent for a moment before I heard Sungjong whisper,

            “Hoya.”

            I looked at him with surprise. Did he say Hoya? Hoya like the ghost I have annoying me every chance he gets?

            “What did you just say?” I asked.

            “Nothing.” Sungjong said quickly.

            “It sounded like Hoya. Is that... him?”  

            Sungjong pretended to zip his lips. He was my friend. I'll make him tell me. He has to. I need to know if the Hoya that has been around me is this guy laying right here in a coma. How can I make him tell me though? He seems to be following the orders of his friends. All older, so it's not like he has authority over them.

            “Come on. Please tell me.” I begged.

            Sungjong shook his head. I sighed. I didn't want to have to resort to this. I guess I'd have to. I tugged on his shirt and tried to be as cute as I could be while I talked.

            “Please tell me what you said.”

            Sungjong seemed to be fighting it. Time for more cuteness.

            “It's just a name, right? I deserve to know his name. Don't you think?”

            Sungjong was biting back a smile. I got to him. I smiled in victory. Then the door opened and I turned to see Dongwoo.

            “What do we have here?” he asked.

            “Nothing. I just want to know his name.” I said.

            I backed away from Sungjong.

            “Should I call Woohyun and tell him what I saw?” Dongwoo said with a devious grin on.

            “No because I just wanted to know if I heard Sungjong say Hoya.”

            Dongwoo's jaw dropped.

            “You said it aloud?!” he asked Sungjong.

            “Not on purpose. It slipped.”

            “I bet you did it on purpose. Do you want me to explain why?”

            “No!” Sungjong said.

            He dragged Dongwoo out of the room and I took a seat by... Hoya. Then the ghost appeared right next to me.

            “Go away.” I told him.

            “You can't tell me to leave. This room belongs to my body.”

            It was at this time that it occurred to me.

            “You're the ghost of him. You're the guy that's in a coma because of me.”

            Hoya nodded as I went over to him and gave him a hug.

            “I'm sorry for being an idiot.” I told him.

            “You don't have to apologize.” he said.

            “A car hit you because of me. That means I need to apologize.”

            Hoya disappeared from my arms and I fell forward a bit. I went back to my seat and grabbed onto the real Hoya's hand as the door opened again. Dongwoo then came back into the room without Sungjong.

            “He had to leave.” Dongwoo told me.

            I nodded as I stared at Hoya. What was going on with my life?

            “You know, I kind of hate to say this, but Hoya would forgive you. Easily.”

            I looked over at Dongwoo.

            “How do you know?”

            “How do I know? I'm his best friend. I know him a lot better then he thinks.”

            We were confused as there was a knock on the door before it opened. My mom came in the room with some guy behind her. I'm guessing it's the guy from her work. Ugh. Great.

            “ChanSook, it's time to go.” she said.

            I didn't know she knew what room I went to.

            “Is he coming with us?” I asked.

            “Yes, sweetie, we're taking him home.”

            I rolled my eyes and said goodbye to Dongwoo. I took one last look at Hoya before I left the room. I didn't bother saying hello to the guy. As we rode to this guy's house, he asked me all these questions. He was trying to be friendly to me. I could care less.

            “Do you have a boyfriend?” the guy asked.

            I looked at him like he was insane.

            “You don't need to know that.” I told him.

            “I do. So tell me.” my mom said.

            “Not really.” I said.

            “Is it complicated?” the guy asked.

            Will this guy every shut up?

            “Not really.” I said again.

            It just wasn't official. The first date wasn't until two weeks. When we pulled up to the house, I stayed in the car. My mom actually went inside with this guy. I got out of the car and saw someone across the street coming over. I soon realized it was Myungsoo.

            “Hey, is that your house?” I asked him.

            “Yeah. I didn't know you knew Mr. Smith.”

            “Wow, his last name is Smith?”

            Myungsoo looked at me confused.

            “I don't know him. My mom works with him and accidentally chopped his finger off yesterday or something like that. We went to the hospital to see him and take him home.”

            “Well my mom is making me go over and check on him with her. I guess we can go in together.”

            “Where is your mom?”

            “She'll be out in a second. I left without her because she's kind of... judgmental.”

            As if on cue, his mom came out of the house and fast walked over to us.

            “Is this your girlfriend? Myungsoo, I told you that you can do way better then girls like her.”

            What does she mean girls like me?

            “What does that mean?” I asked.

            “You know what you are. You are one of those girls that think they are better then everyone else.”

            “Mom, she's not like that and she's already taken by someone else.”

            I nodded, confirming Myungsoo's words.

            “I bet it's the Woohyun kid. I never liked him. You'll be perfect for him. Obviously his other girlfriends weren't.”

            His mom scooted Myungsoo along with her as she headed toward the house. I followed behind. Once we were inside, Myungsoo apologized in a whisper so his mom wouldn't hear him.

            “What does she mean about his other girlfriends?” I asked him.

            “She meant the other girls he's dated. Relax, ChanSook. She over exaggerates all the time. Don't worry about her and what she says. If she says something that's worth worrying about, I'll let you know.”

            I thanked Myungsoo as my mom came over with Mr. Smith.

            “Could this boy here be Mr. Not Really?” he asked.

            I stepped away from Myungsoo.

            “No. Not at all.” I said.

            Why is it when adults see you walk up with someone they haven't met yet of the opposite gender, they always assume that you are dating?

            “I'm not sure what it means to be Mr. Not Really but I think you're talking about Woohyun. Two doors down to your right.” Myungsoo said.

            I gave him a look wondering if he was serious. 

            “I want to meet him.” My mom said as Mr. Smith said,

            “Woohyun? I thought he was dating a girl by the name of Seungyeon.”

            “No, Mr. Smith, you misunderstood Woohyun. He wasn’t actually dating her. He doesn’t even know her. She’s part of a group called KARA.” Myungsoo told him.

            After being forced to stay there all day, I just went to sleep when I got home. Mr. Smith had annoyed me enough with trying to fit in and be cool that I didn’t want to deal with Hoya. Mr. Smith thinks he is a teenager and thinks we are becoming friends. Not even close. The worst part is… my mom like him. As in, LIKED him. She can deny it all she wants but I could see it. He lives by Woohyun though so I don’t think I can complain too much. She can date this loser and I can date Woohyun. 

----------------------------------------------

Another thank you to my awesome commenters and subscribers! Just wanted to make sure you know how happy I am when I see someone has subscribed or commented :)

Also I got my own computer now and I don't have to share anymore! Woohoo! That might mean I get my chapters typed up quicker but I'm not sure. I'll have to see. :)