Chapter 3

What. The. Heck!

Today I wanted to stay home and wait for Hoya to come here. However there was school today. I tried to tell my mom that I was sick so she felt my forehead and cheeks.

“Your going to school.” she said.

I sighed and went to get dressed for school. She stopped me though and had me sit down with her to talk.

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

Besides the fact I have a stalker, nope.

“No, I just don't want to fail this test today.” I lied.

I had no test today.

“Are you sure that's it? You usually like telling me about your day and yesterday you just say it was good. Now you want to stay home from school. Is something going on?”

I shook my head. I sat there silently as my mom just watched me. She was waiting for me to speak. I wasn't going to be saying anything.

“Can I get ready? If I have to go, I don't want to be late.” I said.

My mom let me get ready and once I was ready I saw she had left for work. It would be so easy to just stay home. She wouldn't know.

The thing is that I've never skipped before. I must have walked in and out of my house ten times. Finally I made the decision and left my house. Today I wouldn't skip. I was so worried about being late that I hadn't realized that someone was walking along with me. I looked at the person and it was Hoya.

“Took you long enough.” he said.

He had on that stupid smirk.

“What are you doing?” I asked him.

“Walking. You can't be mad about that.”

I rolled my eyes and decided that I would act like he wasn't there. Soon I heard my name being called and I saw Sungjong. He ran up and he linked arms with me. I looked to my other side and saw that Hoya had left. When did that happen?

“You look confused.” Sungjong said.

“I just thought... I don't know.”

Sungjong made me smile the rest of the way to school as he told me about his wacky dream that he had. He took me to the place that his other friends were.

“Again?” Sunggyu asked.

Most didn't seem to be happy that I was here. Myungsoo looked to be the only one that wasn't happy or mad about it. Woohyun even looked a bit annoyed.

“She's my new friend.” Sungjong said.

“Sungjong just because she... That doesn't mean...” Sungyeol seemed at a lost for words.

“You can't just expect us to let this girl hang out with us!” Dongwoo yelled.

I hid behind Sungjong. I was clueless as what I did to him. Did I even do anything? Dongwoo took his backpack and mumbled to himself as he left.

“She's my friend.” Sungjong repeated.

“We understand. The thing is, you're friends with everyone. You don't try to get everyone else to hang out with us.” Sunggyu said. “Isn't it weird that you choose this girl?”

I couldn't have been more confused. There was more to this I guess. I was fortunate enough to see my friend Kari walking by so I told Sungjong I would talk to him later and met up with her.

“Since when do you hang out them?” she asked me.

“Ever since yesterday when Sungjong made me his new best friend.”

“He makes a new best friend every day. What makes you so special that he brings you to their hang out spot?”

I just shrugged my shoulders. I'd like to know that myself.

When it came time for lunch I sat down with Kari at our usual table. A minute later Sungjong took a seat next to me.

“I'm sorry about earlier. Dongwoo is going through a tough time right now. We all kind of are. I'm not really making it easier on them.” Sungjong said.

“A rough time? What's wrong?” I asked.

“Our group is usually seven people not six. I'd rather not talk about it at this time.”

This was only my second week at the school so I knew nothing about them having another friend. I wonder what happened to him. It's sounding like he died. Let's hope that's not true. Hoya is great at stalking. Maybe he knows something about this. If not, he can figure something out. He owes me for not calling the cops on him.

Sungjong offered to take me home again but I declined. Then he asked if I wanted to go to his house. I'm not sure why but I wanted to.

“That sounds like something I'd like to do.” I told him.

“Great. Come on!”

He grabbed my wrist and started to pull me off toward his house. He kept saying how much fun we were going to have and I barely got to say anything the whole time we walked. Sungjong just went on and on and I didn't mind at all. The way he latched onto me so fast, I liked it. When we reached his house, I was introduced to his mom who was just as sweet as him. We went into his room and I took a moment to look around. There were pictures everywhere. I saw a lot of him with his friends from school. I tried to see a seventh person but none of these photos contained more then six people.

“I thought you said that there was seven of you.” I said.

“Oh, um, the thing is I couldn't take looking at his pictures so I hid them.” he said.

This was the first time since I met Sungjong that he was quiet. I looked around and tried to find something that I can change the subject to. I couldn't figure anything out.

“Do you need any help with your homework?” I asked.

Sungjong went back to that adorable smile of his and he pulled out his math book. He's lucky that he is in the grade below me. Otherwise he would be on his own. I helped him with his homework and even stayed for dinner. I had a good time and wanted to say yes when Sungjong asked if he should walk me home. I just don't want him to know where I lived and have him coming over any time. I ignored the part of my brain that didn't want him meeting Hoya and told him he could take me home. He made me laugh some more as he told me stories about him and his friends. Once we got to my door, I hurried inside and say Hoya standing there looking mad. I looked around the house and noticed my mom wasn't here. Today would be a day when she has to stay late for work.

“Where have you been?” Hoya asked.

“It's none of your business. Your not my dad.” I told him.

“So what? You knew I'd be here. Who was that guy? Is he your boyfriend?”

“What?! No! And you aren't either so quit with the questions and go wherever it is you go when you leave.”

I walked to my room and I heard Hoya come after me and shut the door behind him.

“I'm not leaving. You are going to tell me who that guy is.”

I rolled my eyes at him.

“Sungjong. Are you happy? He's Sungjong.”

“Does he have a girlfriend?”

“I don't know!” I yelled. “Also, I don't care.”

“Why are you yelling? I'm just asking you a simple question.”

“I'm yelling because you are a freak! You are a stalker and a criminal who breaks into my house!”

“You don't know who I am!” he yelled back.

“Well then why not enlighten me?!”

“I will!”

“Good!”

“Fine!”

We stood there face to face. My arms across my chest and my eyes giving him a death glare. He was returning the glare to me. I'm not sure how long this went on. Though soon, Hoya ended it. He just sighed and sat on the bed. Correction. MY bed. Before either of us could say more, I heard the sound of my mom getting home.

“I'll be going.” Hoya said.

I watched him leave my room and wished I would hear my mom yell. I wanted that loser to be caught now. I didn't hear anything though. Just the sound of my mom coming down the hall in her heels. My door opened and she rushed over to me.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

She pulled me into a hug and started to comfort me. I was a bit confused.

“Yeah.” I said.

“You don't look alright. Are you sure?”

“Yeah. I'm just going to go to bed.” I told her.

She seemed like she wanted to stay and talk but she left me alone and let me go to bed. As I laid down, I thought about what I must have looked like. I'm guessing I looked furious. It's all Hoya though. He's the one who claimed he lived here, ate my cookies, and acted like he had a right to know where I am. Tomorrow I am calling the cops. This time I really will... I think.