Impossible

Different dreams

 

Donghae’s POV

In the morning, I woke up really early. I really want to look my best. Today is our first and last date together. I want to make it memorable for me, but even more memorable for her. I know she might not remember, but I know I will definitely remember.

I left the house and saw Driver Kim opening the car door for me. However, I got another idea.

“Driver Kim, I’ll drive today. You can take a day off today.” I said before driving out my Audi A5. I have my own car and I’ve already gotten my license but I’ve always been too lazy to drive and I’ve got driver Kim. If I were to drive anywhere on my own, Driver Kim would therefore lose his job, so might as well I’ll allow him to drive me.

Getting into the car, I drove off towards Soobin’s house. I was so nervous yet excited. I wonder how our day will turn out to be? I was glad Omma went Busan yesterday, or else if she found out about me being drunk, I think I would be banned from going out all my life.

When I reached Soobin’s house, I got out of the car and looked at my watch.  Still have a minute before its 11am. I rang the door bell and within 5 seconds, the door opened and revealed Soobin who looked stunning. Even though she was dress casually, she looks absolutely stunning to me.

“You’re on time.” She said with a smile. I didn’t know what I was doing and extended my arm to her. She looked at it for a second before wrapping her arm around mine. Was I dreaming? She took my arm. Does this mean I have a chance? I should stop dreaming because maybe she took my arm to make me feel happy.

When we got outside, I saw her eyes widen in wow as she saw the car. I opened the door for her before she got in.

 “Where are we going?” She asked. I looked at her and smile.

“Somewhere I haven’t got a chance to go to.” I answered her before we started our long journey.

After around 15 minutes, Soobin looked like she’s getting bored. I took a glimpse at her and she looked out of the window. My right hand unknowingly crept to hers. Her head snapped towards my direction. I saw her hesitating for a moment.

“Let me hold your hand for today. Just for today.” I said as I looked at her. She nodded her head as I held onto her hand tightly. I know that after today, I won’t get a chance anymore.

Even though she didn’t have a tight grip, I could felt her holding onto my hand gently. A smile then crept up my face. I felt like the luckiest person alive.

After driving for another hour, we finally reached. I turned to Soobin to find her asleep. I guess she must be tired from all those things I’ve done. I wanted to take a blanket from the back of the car for her, but I realized I was holding onto her hand.

Sitting in the car for a while, Soobin stirred and realized the car has stopped moving.

“We’re here already?” She asked while rubbing her eyes. I nodded my head and she looked out of the window.

“Lotte world?” She widened her eyes and I nodded my head.

I saw her eyes sparkle as she got out of the car. I locked the car before chasing after her. After getting the tickets, she grabbed my hand and pulled me into the theme park. We got onto a lot of rides. I didn’t know she was so daring.

However, when it got to the more intense rides, she was scared, but she insisted on trying.

“You really want to get onto the roller coaster?” I asked her. I know she has been eyeing it, but I could tell she was trembling slightly. It was the same thing for the vertical drop. However, after those rides, she seem so happy.

“Are you hungry? Do you want to get something to eat?” I asked as I realized it’s already nearing 3pm. She took my hand and looked at my watch, getting a shock as well after seeing that it was going to be 3pm.

We got to the nearest food joint to grab something to eat. After eating, we walked around to get our food digested or we might feel unwell or throw it up after playing those extreme rides.

It seems like time flies when we’re having fun. In a blink of an eye, it’s close to 9pm already.

“Let’s take the Ferris wheel before it closes.” She grabbed on my hand before we made our way there. There was a queue, but there wasn’t much people. When it was finally our turn, we got into the cabin. When it rose higher and higher, Soobin got more and more excited.

“Look! It’s so beautiful.” She exclaimed with her face looking like it got plastered to the glass. I looked at her and realized that after we leave here, the time will be ticking till we part. I don’t think I can handle the part.

I guess she realized I was awfully quiet and looked at me.

“Are you alright?” She asked as I snapped out of my thought. I nodded my head and she walked towards me, but the Ferris wheel suddenly jerked and she fell on me.

“Are you alright?” I asked and she nodded her head. Getting up slowly, she went back to sit opposite me.

When the ride was over, she said we should go home since I looked tired. I looked down and realized her shoelace was undone.

“Your shoelace came out. I’ll do it for you.” I said and knelled down in front of her, helping her tie her shoelace. She was reluctant at first, but after hearing comments from couples around us, she reluctantly gave in.

“Oppa, her boyfriend is so nice to her. Why aren’t you like that?” I heard someone said as I smiled.

When I got up and stood beside Soobin, she dragged me and walked really quickly. However, I slowed her down. I didn’t want time to end so quickly.

“You’ve never been here before?” she asked on the drive back home.

“Appa and Omma have always been abroad so they never brought me there. Noona was always busy studying so she didn’t have time to bring me either. I’ve always told myself I’ll come here on my own one day with the person I want to respect most.” I said and I saw her looking away.

“Can we go have something to eat, I’m really hungry from all the activity.” She said and I agreed. At least now I have more time to spend with you.

“Let’s go have ddeokbukki! Omma doesn’t let me have them.” She said and I smiled. I haven’t had them in a really long time too. We got to the nearest roadside stall and ordered some dishes.

While eating we talked about a lot of things, but one of her questions made me really shocked. I have never expected her to ask me something like this.

“Why do you like me?” She looked at me.

I was lost for words. Why did I like her? I didn’t know why, but I felt a need to protect her after what I did. I know she hated me then. But I must protect her because I hurt her, I have to apologise for what I have done.

“Because I felt that there’s a need to protect you.” I said.

“If it’s because of the school trip incident, there’s no need because I can protect myself.” She looked at me firmly. I don’t want today to end on a bad note.

“It’s partly because of that. But after we came back, I didn’t know why you’ll always be in my mind. I was always worrying if you’ll be alright.” I said and I saw her gaze soften.

“Let’s go.” She said and we went back to the car. The car trip was silent. I saw her looking straight in a daze. What could she be thinking about?

When we got to her place, I opened the car door for her.

“I had a nice time today. Thank you.” She smiled.

“I had a great time too.” I said and she laughed before her face became serious.

“I think you should forget about your feelings for me. I’m leaving Korea when the school year ends. I might never come back again. There’re girl that are better for you.” She said before walking into her house, waving goodbye before closing the door.

I guess that’s the end of the day. It’s over just like that. I stood outside her house and looked at it, like she was standing somewhere where I could see her. I was about to leave when I heard her voice.

“Donghae!” I turned around to see her running to me.

“Here. This is for you.” She passed me a picture of us. We took it when we were in Japan. Ms. Shi had insisted on using us as her first models for her new camera.

“Make this all a memory. I hope you will learn to let go.” She smiled before returning into her house.

I want to let go too, but it isn’t easy. During the past few months, we’ve spent too much time together. Everywhere in the school reminds me of you. Furthermore, our parent’s meet quite often. Omma had told me that she actually likes Soobin. She was hoping that she can become part of the family. That was one reason why I was able to continue going to her place for peer tuition.

End of Donghae’s POV

Soobin’s POV

What was wrong with me today, I did so many things that I wasn’t supposed to do. Maybe agreeing to go with him today was a bad idea. Maybe trying to make this trip memorable for him was a wrong idea too. What was I thinking, telling him to let go? If letting go was so easy, it won’t be called love.

‘I have something to tell you. Can you meet me at Starbucks at XXX mal tomorrow? –Jaejoong’

This didn’t look good. What was there to tell? I have a really bad feeling about it.

The next day, I went to XXX mall’s Starbucks and saw Jaejoong sitting there waiting for me. When I took a seat, I saw him with a very serious expression on his face.

“Do you like Donghae?” Jaejoong asked.

“Of course. He’s my friend of course I like him.” I said and Jaejoong seem to be less tensed.

“What do you think of me?” He asked and looked at me.

“You’re nice.” I said and I had a feeling something bad was coming.

“Am I nice enough to be your boyfriend?” He looked me in the eye and I know I’ve got myself into a big mess.

“Jaejoong ah…” I said but he stopped me.

“I know you don’t have feelings for me. You only treat me as a friend. But I’m willing to wait.” He said as he took my hand. I pulled my hand out of his grip and I saw a very dejected expression from his eyes.

“It’s not a matter of waiting or not. I’m leaving after the school year ends. It’s only in a matter of months. Furthermore, I don’t want to get into a relationship.” I said and left him there.

I was glad he didn’t. When I got home, I was really frustrated. At first it’s Donghae, and then it’s Jaejoong. I still have 6 more months of school. How am I supposed to survive till the end?

“What’s wrong?” Omma came to me.

“Omma, do you like Donghae more or Jaejoong more?” I asked.

End of Soobin’s POV