Back

Different dreams

 

Soobin’s POV

“Do I like Donghae more or Jaejoong? Why are you asking me this Soobin? Did something happen?” Omma asked as I shook my head.

“I like Donghae more.” She said after a short silence.

“Why Donghae?” I asked but I had known this would be her answer. She liked Donghae so much when he came over. When he didn’t come, she would ask me did something happen to him.

“He’s a very nice boy. He’s kind, caring and well mannered. As for Jaejoong, he’s a nice boy too, but he doesn’t have good records.” Omma said.

“Good records? What do you mean by good records?”

“His Omma told me the other time she doesn’t know how to take care of him anymore. He always get into trouble in school and get into fights out of school, coming home with bruises.” Omma explained. Actually I kind of know about this since the day I met Jaejoong.

That day, he was being beaten up and I heard the people saying how useless he was without his gang. They must have offended a lot of people to cause him to get beaten up in the middle of the night on the streets.

“But why are you asking me all of a sudden? Did they confess to you?” She smiled at me cheekily. A moment ago she was al serious and now she’s like this. I know why I’m born this way now.

“No!” I said. How did she know? I shouldn’t make it so obvious. I excused myself into my room so that she couldn’t ask me anymore questions.

For the rest of the holidays, I stayed at home and accompanied Omma. Haemin was busy studying and getting ready for the group dance competition while Donghae came over a few times to ask me about his English homework. I was glad we weren’t awkward. If not, for the next few months in school it’ll be even more awkward.

However, one day, Eunhyuk came by with Haemin, telling us we got 2nd place for the group dance competition. The results were good. Donghae and I weren’t able to attend because during that time, we were still in Japan. The results were just released.

“Congratulations. Your hard work has been put to good use.” I congratulated them.

“The dance club is organizing a celebration dinner for our awards. Do you want to come? The team ask us to ask Donghae as well.” Eunhyuk said.

“Sure I’ll go.” I said.

“Oh and I found a community involvement programme which requires volunteers. Do you want to join us?” Eunhyuk asked.

“It’s to be dance teachers for little children from lower income families.” Haemin said.

“Oh that sounds nice. I’d love to. But isn’t school starting soon?” I said.

“It’s on a Sunday. We’ve asked for the details already.” Eunhyuk smiled and I agreed. It’s such a nice thing to do. Why not?

“CHEERS!” All of us clinked our cups together for the amount of awkward we managed to get.

“I must congratulate Soobin and Donghae the most! They’ve done us proud!” Leeteuk said and they did a toast for us too.

“Congratulations.” Leeteuk came to Donghae and I and congratulated us again.

“You all did well too.” Donghae said.

“But the both of you really did us proud. No wonder your club president.” Leeteuk smiled.

“The both of you really look good. Haven’t you 2 thought of getting together?” Leeteuk asked causing me to choke on my drink.

After the party, Donghae offered to send me home since Haemin and Eunhyuk had disappeared into thin air. We took a slow stroll back since the night was still young and the breeze was really refreshing.

“Who’s that at your door?” Donghae asked as we got to my house. It was a tall figure which is well built. He was walking to and fro from my door. However, I knew who it was.

“BRANDON!” I shouted and ran to him. He turned around to look at me before a smile crept up on his face. I ran to give him a hug. Oh How I miss him.

“(English) How have you been doing?” He asked me.

“(English) I miss America and you guys! What are you doing here?” I asked.

“(English) It’s the summer vacation now. So I’m here for a holiday and might as well I can visit you too.” He smiled. Then his eyes hovered to someone behind me. I then realized I forgot all about Donghae.

“(English) Oh I forgot to introduce the both of you to each other. Donghae, This is Brandon. Brandon, this is Donghae.” I said as both of them shook hands. However, I could tell that Donghae looks a little uncomfortable.

“(Korean) I’ll make a move first then. See you in school.” Donghae said before walking off.

I invited Brandon in and Omma was happy to see him too. However, he couldn’t stay for long because it was late already and he has to head back to the hotel to rest.

There was still a week of holidays left. During that week, I spent most of my time bring Brandon and his family around. This way, I myself can have a tour around this place too. I didn’t really get to explore Seoul in the past few months.

On Sundays, Eunhyuk, Haemin and I went to teach little children dance. However the Sunday before school started, I got a ‘surprise’.

“Oh Donghae!” Eunhyuk called as Donghae appeared. I didn’t know Eunhyuk and Donghae were so close now. I remembered the other time, Eunhyuk was so scared of Donghae, but it’s good to see that they’re friends.

“We thought of asking Donghae along since we’re one person short. You won’t mind do you?” Haemin smiled and I shook my head. Why would I mind? However, these few days I;ve ralised that Haemin wasn’t obsessed about Donghae anymore. But rather, she has been spending more time with Donghae.

Last Sunday when we first came to teach the students, they went for dinner together, asking me to head home. I got a little suspicious but I didn’t bother, but this week, when I came in, the both of them immediately separated themselves from each other.  They are definitely hiding something.

Because of the huge number of students, we’ve decided to split the class into two groups so it’s easier to teach. I was with Donghae since Haemin and Eunhyuk went together.

After the day ended, Haemin and Eunhyuk left together again, leaving Donghae with me. It’s not that we’re awkward or anything, but I was thinking of avoiding these kind of alone time for a while.

“Let’s go then.” Donghae said and we walked side by side in silence. Now we’re officially awkward.

I guess I was in a daze because the next thing I knew, I was being pulled back and landed on something soft.

“Are you alright?” I looked up to see Donghae looking at me.

“I’m alright.” I said and pushed him away lightly before the both of us dusted our clothes.

“Be more careful. I might not be by your side all the time to help you.” He said before we walked on.

I just realized that for countless times this kind of incident happens and he was always there to help me. Without him those few times I might be seriously injured or perhaps dead. I looked at him and realized how I sort of owe him my life.

“We can be friends can we?” I heard him say before he turned to look at me, meeting my eyes since my gaze was still lingering on him. After realizing what was happening, I broke the gaze.

“Of course. We’ll be best friends.” I smiled, but I realize the smile on his face was more of a bitter smile. We then started talking in a more comfortable way. In no time, I was home.

I offered him to come for dinner but he said he has some important matters to attend to so he can’t come. He asked me to say hi to Omma for him.

The next day, it was time to return to school after the long holiday. Everyone had smiles on their faces and hugging their friends they haven’t met for a long time. This time round, when I entered school, instead of having people bad mouthing me behind my back or sending me daggers with their eyes, I was greeted with smiles.

When I got to class, Haemin was nowhere to be found. She sent me a text message yesterday telling me she would be heading to school on her own so I came to school in the car alone. I took my seat to see the class buzzing with peoples talking and laughter. I wonder how long can I stay here in this classroom? I guess I will miss the place. Even though It’s only been 6 months excluding the holidays, I’ve created great memories with the people here. No matter if it’s good or bad, it’ll still be memories I’ll bring away with me.

Before the bell rang, Haemin came in smiling really wide. Something good must have happened then.

“Morning.” She greeted me before taking a seat beside me.

“What’s there to be so happy about?” I asked and she shook her head, but I could see a blush creeping up on her face.

During the entire day, she was smiling. When we were having class, eating lunch, having gym class. She was smiling every minute, every second of the day. However on the way home, she became serious.

“Soobin ah, In 3 months you’re leaving already right?” Haemin said and I nodded my head. It was already turning to Autumn. In winter, I’ll be leaving this place for good. I might come back again, but that might be years later.

“I’ve heard about you and Donghae.” She said and she looked a little disappointed.

“There’s nothing between the both of us!” I tried to clear everything up so she won’t misunderstand.

“There’s no need to get so worked up!” She smiled and I relaxed. I thought she was going to get angry.

“I’m just trying to tell you that Donghae will never be part of my life, because I’ve found someone else.” She smiled with a blush reddening her face.

“But I thought…” before I was able to finish my sentence, she cut me.

“I’ve given up on Donghae long ago. I know from the start that he likes you so I didn’t leave hope for myself. I let it go and moved on. I want you to be happy. I know Donghae can make you happy. Give him a chance. Don’t isolate your heart. Warm it up for him. You’ll never regret it because I know you like him back as well.” Haemin said and she took a turn into her house.

I walked into the house thinking about what Haemin just said. Do I really like Donghae? I thought it was just a like as a friend as a brother. I can’t possibly like him.

“What’s wrong?” Omma said as she sat down beside me.

“What do you think of Donghae?” I asked Omma and she smiled.

“Donghae is a nice boy and I hope he’ll be your husband because I know he’ll definitely take really good care of you.” Omma said.

“You really think so?” I asked and she nodded her head.

“You have a package. It’s in your room. I left it on the table.” I sighed and went to my room. Looking at the brown package on the table, I took it before taking a seat on my bed. There was only the name of the recipient, but there isn’t the name of the person who sent it. Who could it be from?

When I unwrapped the package, I was surprised. It was the Ferro Roche box filled with golden roses folded from the wrapper. There was a card above it.

Dear Soobin,

                You may not have feelings for me, but I want you to know that my feelings will be like these roses. It will never die and will be with you forever. When you need a shoulder to lean on in the future or need a friend, don’t hesitate to call me, because I’ll always be here for you.

Donghae

End of Soobin’s POV