Apologise

Different dreams

 

Donghae’s POV

During the debrief, I couldn’t help but look at Soobin. Even though she was at the other end, I could still see her clearly. She wasn’t as happy as before. When Haemin was talking to her, on her face was none other than that blank look.

I won’t blame her if she tells anyone about what I did. I indeed crossed the line. I shouldn’t have changed room in the first place.

“Hyung are you alright?” I heard Kyuhyun ask me and I realized that it was time to board the bus. Soobin and I are on different buses since we’re from different classes. Looking out of the window, I saw Soobin with her eyes closed and Haemin was giving her a worried look. I guess Haemin has already realized she’s not herself.

During the entire bus ride back to Seoul, I couldn’t fall asleep. When I closed my eyes, the first thing that comes to my mind is that scared expression Soobin had.

When we reached school, everyone left to get their own transport home. I saw Soobin and Haemin heading into a black car. I think I should find a time to talk to her when school starts.

“Young master.” I heard and saw my driver waiting for me. Getting into the car, the only thing I can think of now is how to apologise to Soobin.

End of Donghae’s POV

Soobin’s POV

“SOOBIN!” I heard Haemin exclaim and realized she was already out of the car. She waved at me. Forcing a smile, I waved back before she closed the door.

Driver Ahjusshi helped me bring my bags into the house as I sat down on the sofa. I closed my eyes and the incident last night flashed in my mind.

“Soobin-ah” Omma touched my shoulder and I jumped in my seat, causing her to get shocked as well.

“Soobin ah, are you ok? You look a little pale.” She said as she placed her hand on my forehead, checking if I was running a temperature.

“Omma, I’m fine. Maybe I had too much fun that’s why now I’m so tired.” I lied and she smiled, pushing me to go get a shower and a short nap.

I tried to sleep, but whenever I tried to sleep, those images kept flashing in my mind. Even though Donghae apologised, what’s done is done. I know he’s a very playful person but doing this is not really funny. I really had though he was going to do something bad to me. I want to forgive him, but it’s not that easy.

“NO! STAY AWAY!” I shouted at him, but he just had the smirk pinned on his face as he came closer. I backed away and I was at a dead end already.

“Let’s see where you can run to now Ms. Taekwondo.” He cracked his knuckles as he pounced himself on me. He ripped open my shirt and kissed me everywhere.

“NO! HELP ME! SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!” I shouted at the top of my lungs as he continued what he was doing. I couldn’t see anything at all. Everything was a blur as tears poured out of my eyes and I thought this was the end.

However, someone pulled him away before he got too far and wrapped his Jacket around me.

“Soobin ah, are you ok?” I didn’t know who he was, but from his voice, I know it’s Brandon. I started sobbing as he pulled me into his embrace.

“Soobin ah! Soobin ah!” I felt someone shake me and I opened my eyes to find Omma sitting in front of me looking worried.

“What happened?” I asked as I rubbed my eyes and I realized my eyes were wet and I had been crying.

“You had the nightmare again.”

Ever since that incident, I have been having the same nightmare over and over again for months. That incident happened 4 years ago when I was 14. I haven’t been dreaming of it again, till yesterday.

“Did something happen?” She asked me, but I’m not going to tell her. He didn’t really do anything to me. If I had told Omma, he would be in trouble.

“Nothing Omma. Nothing happened.” I assured her, but she insisted that I shouldn’t go to school tomorrow. I didn’t want to stay at home, but knowing Omma won’t agree. I called Haemin telling her I can’t go to school with her tomorrow. She promised to help me collect my homework and assignments.

I headed down for dinner and Omma kept looking at me. I know she’s suspecting something but I won’t tell her even if I die. I helped Omma with the dishes before heading back to my room. I logged into MSN to find a few of my friends from America online.

One of them was Brandon. Brandon saved me from that incident. He’s one of my best guy friend in America. Even though it’s rumored that he likes me, I decided to ignore them and remain best friends with him. After that incident, he was always by my side, helping me get over it. I got over it after a few months, but it’s still a trauma I have.

That night, I had the same dream again. Omma woke me up all worried.

“Soobin ah, we have to go to the psychiatrist again.” She said. I know this was coming. She stayed by my side till I fell asleep. I wonder what I would do without Omma around me.

The next day, Omma brought me to see the psychiatrist. Her name is Doctor Lee Hae jung. She look really nice. She asked if it’s alright if she speaks to me alone. She asked me a lot of questions before starting the counseling and therapy.

“Did something trigger you recently?” She asked. I wonder if I should tell her the truth. I think I should. She will keep it a secret since it’s her job to keep it a secret.

I nodded my head before she scribbled something on her board.

“Please don’t tell my Omma.” I looked at her hoping she would agree. She smiled and nodded her head.

“What happened?” She asked as I tried my best to tell her what happened. Even though it’s not as horrible as the first incident, but it’s hard to tell her everything in detail. She guided me to tell her with questions.

After it ended, I indeed felt better.

“Come back again in a month. Alright?” She said with a smile and I nodded my head.

Omma kept tendering to my every need on our way home and when we’re at home.

“Omma, I’m fine. You can do your own things too. I’m really fine.” I smiled as she sat down on the couch beside me and watched the drama together.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Who could be?

“Soobin!” Haemin exclaimed as I opened the door. I invited her in and we went into our room to talk. Omma brought in rice juice and some snacks.

“Are you feeling better?” Haemin asked.

“I’m fine. So how as school today?” I asked her as she passed me the homework.

“Oh the usual. But Donghae came to look for you.” She said.

“Why?” I asked. I didn’t really want to see him after that incident. I’m afraid it might trigger the trauma in me.

“I don’t know. But he seems worried when I told him you’re not feeling well.” I could see the obvious frown on her face.

Haemin headed home after a while. She said she had tuition for math since it was one of her weaker subjects.

I’m kind of dreading school already. I don’t want to have to face Donghae again. However, if I don’t do what he says, would he go after Eunhyuk again?

Omma had asked me to take the car to school again. She said it is so that she can be more relaxed and no need to worry so much. I agreed since I don’t want Omma to continue worrying about me.

“But Omma, Doctor Lee suggested that I should take walks more. I decide to walk home from school. Is it ok?” I asked. She wanted to object but hearing that it’s the doctor’s instruction, she agreed.

“Are you going to walk alone?” She asked.

“I can walk with Eunhyuk when Haemin has dance practice. He takes the right turn 2 streets down. Walking 2 streets is alright Omma.” I assured her.

“Alright.” She agreed.

The next day, Haemin and I took the car to school. Since we met at the same time as when we take the bus, we’re in school real early. There were not much people around. We bid the driver Ahjusshi farewell and headed to our class. I was glad I didn’t see Donghae around anywhere. When we got to class, I heaved a sigh of relief.

The classroom was empty other than Haemin and I.

“I need to use the washroom. Want to come?” Haemin asked and I shook my head. She left and I was all alone in the classroom. I took out my text book for our first class and started reading the chapter which the teacher is going to go through.

“Soobin ah.” I immediately froze it was the person I didn’t want to see the most. I looked at him and he looked unlike himself.

“I’m sorry.” He walked closer and I stood up before backing away.

“You don’t come any closer.” I pointed at him.

“Soobin.” He said my name again.

“Go. I don’t want to see you.” I tried to say as calmly as I could, but I know my voice was trembling.

“Ok. Ok. But accept my apology. I’m sincere in apologizing to you.” I could tell he was sincere but an apology doesn’t solve the problem this time.

“Soobin ah, what’s wrong?” I heard Haemin say before Donghae nodded at her and left our classroom.

During the entire day, Haemin kept eyeing me suspiciously. She definitely know something was wrong with me, but I cannot tell her. I don’t want anyone to be in trouble.

During lunch, something shocking happened.

“Here.” A tray was shoved to me and I realized it was Donghae. The whole cafeteria gasped at the action as he walked out of the cafeteria.

“What is he doing?” Haemin asked as I shrugged. It used to be him taking away my tray. It was never he giving me his tray of food.

I took a seat beside Eunhyuk as Haemin went to take her food.

“Eunhyuk, from today onwards, I’ll walk home with you.” I said as Eunhyuk gave me the staring everyone is using at me.

“Really, Awesome.” He smiled before going back to his food. Haemin came back with her food and both of them kept asking me what that was about. I didn’t know either. I don’t even know if the food was safe for consumption.

When we got back from lunch, I found a note on my table.

‘Meet me at the field after school. –DH’

Should I go? What was he going to do this time. I no longer feel very safe meeting him alone. I’m also going home with Eunhyuk since Haemin has dance practice today.

The next half of the day, I kept debating with myself if I should go or not. If I go, I don’t know what he would do, but if I don’t go, he would definitely be angry and I’ll die tomorrow.

“Eunhyuk, could you wait for me for a while, I need to meet someone.” He agreed and I ran to the field and found him sitting at the stands.

“I thought you won’t come.” He gave a small smile as I got closer. I stood a distance away from him. He noticed and moved closer, but I backed away again. He knows why I was doing it so he stayed where he was.

“I’m sorry.” He apologised again. This time he bowed a 90 degree bow.

“Donghae.” I pulled him up and stepping back again. He looked at me and I could tell the one standing in front of me now is not the bully Lee Donghae, but the Lee Donghae that I saw in the car.

End of Soobin’s POV