Different Dreams

Different dreams

 

Donghae’s POV

When the doors opened and revealed Soobin, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Even though I haven’t seen her in 2 days, seeing her now seems like I haven’t seen her in 2 years. She’s so beautiful now. Her skin was glowing, catching the attention of everyone. My bride is so beautiful.

AS she took each step towards me, I could feel my smile getting wider and wider. Each step she took, seems like it make me have one flash back.

Flash back

“Wake up.” I heard a soothing voice wake me up, however, I was tired and I wanted to sleep for a little while more.

“Omma, 5 more minutes.” I said as I took my pillow to cover my ears and from the bright rays of the sun.

I couldn’t hear what she said but I know she would not leave me alone. After a few minutes, I could not fall back asleep, so I woke up.

“Alright omma, I’m up.” However, when I listened closely, the voice does not belong to Omma. I opened my eyes slowly to see my girlfriend, sitting on the bed in a casual sundress, trying to wake me up.

“That took me much effort.” She smiled as she looked at me sweetly.

I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. I looked at her closely once again and I was right that it wasn’t a dream. She was indeed sitting in my bedroom, waking me up and I called her my Omma.

“Am I late? Did I wake up late?” I was suddenly flustered, because I always send her to work and it looked like it was late morning already. I was about to run into the bathroom when I felt her pull my hand.

“It’s Sunday today and It’s both our off days. You said you want to spend time together today.” She said as it all came back to me that I told her I’ll pick her up at 10am.

“I overslept.” I said and she smiled.

“I thought something happened to you. Seeing you’re still sleeping made me heave a sigh of relief.” She said.

“I’m sorry.” I said as I held onto her hand.

“It’s ok. Go take a shower. I’ll pick your clothes today.” She said as I made my way into the bathroom.

End of Flashback.

AS she took another step, I recalled another moment.

“I think this won’t do.” She said as I was buttoning up my dress shirt. Soobin had offered to pick out my work clothes to bring to put in the hostel and she is now matching our ties.

“Ok done!” She said happily before I heard the zipping sound of my bag being closed.

I suddenly felt really embarrassed as I was about to tie my tie, because I could never do it. I had to always ask Omma to do it for me. With Soobin here, how can I ask Omma to help me?

I was about to walk into the bathroom when she stopped me.

“Let me help you.” She said before standing in front of me, working her hands. I looked at her serious expression as she helped me tie my tie, like how a wife would do for her husband every morning.

“There done.” She said as she adjusted it nicely.

She picked my coat and my bag before taking my hand as we headed downstairs for breakfast. That day, Omma was making Kimchi and Soobin offered to help that’s why she’s here, in my house, so early in the morning. Because I woke up late, she offered to pack my bag for me.

“I’ll see you later for dinner.” She gave me a peck on the cheeks before she waved me goodbye. I felt like she was already my wife.

End of flashback

AS Soobin got closer and closer to me, more and more of our happy memories filled my mind.

As I took her hand from her Appa, I know the moment I have been waiting for has finally arrived. In a matter of minutes, Park Soobin will be my lawful wife.

“Now I pronounce you husband and wife.” The justice of Marriage said and everyone applauded.

I felt like I was floating in the air now. I could not believe that this is a true. As the crowd cheered and asked Soobin and I to Kiss, I know this would be the invisible seal Soobin and I would have.

In a blink of an eye, Soobin and I were already in the car, going to our next destination, which is the hotel where our banquet will be held. Actually Soobin and I didn’t want to make the event so grand, but because both of our families are one of the most prestigious families in Korea, we have no choice but to do it.

In the limo, Soobin and I were sitting side by side, silently.

“We’re finally married.” I said, breaking the silence. However, I did not get a reply from her. I turned my head slowly to find tears streaming down her face.

“What’s wrong?” I asked and wipe away her tears.

“This is not a dream right? We’re really married right?” She asked as she sniffled. I nodded my head as she threw herself into my arms for a hug.

“Thank you Donghae, for making me so happy.” She said.

“I should thank you for making my life so perfect. You’re the last piece of my puzzle.” I said and she smiled.

“So now we’re officially married.” She said and I nodded my head.

“Stop crying now. Or else you won’t look beautiful anymore.” I said as I wiped the tears away lightly.

“Even if I’m not beautiful. You’ll still love me right?” She asked and I nodded my head.

“No matter what you become, I’ll always love you” I said.

“I’ll never leave you. No matter what, I’ll be with you forever.” She said and that made me feel safe.

When we got out of the limo, Soobin clutch on my arms tightly as there were many reports crowding outside our limo, wanting to take a snap of our wedding day.

“I’ll see you later.” I said, not bearing to leave her, but we have to prepare for the evening banquet. I gave her a light peck on her lips before parting ways with her.

As I went into the changing room, I took off my blazor and sat on the couch, taking a short rest. I guess I was really tired as I felt someone shaking me.

“Hae. How can you sleep on such an important day?” Eunhyuk asked as he laughed. I guess I was so nervous last night I didn’t have a good night’s rest. After the wedding ceremony, I felt more relief that’s why my tiredness overcame me.

“I guess I feel more relief now.” I said and Eunhyuk pat my back.

“I was so nervous I thought I would tumble and fall.” Eunhyuk said as we both laughed before the door burst open, revealing a very flustered Haemin.

“What happened?” Eunhyuk stood up immediately, walking towards his wife. Haemin took in a deep breath before speaking.

“Soobin is missing.” She said, and I felt like my heart stop beating.

“What do you mean missing?” I asked, walking towards Haemin slowly.

“Soobin said she was going to the toilet. Saying she want to look for her Omma as well. I offered to follow her, but she said she wants to talk to her Omma privately. So I waited for her in her changing room. After half an hour she wasn’t back. I wanted to look for her when Her Omma came, wanting to look for her.” Haemin said, with tears b in her eyes.

“Where is she?” I asked.

“We looked for her in the toilet in the wedding hall, but she’ not anywhere insight. I called her phone, but it was turned off. She brought it along with her when she went to the toilet. ” Haemin said and I felt my legs give way as I fell onto the ground.

“Donghae!” I heard but I could hear anything thing after that. My mind was in a blank. I could not feel my limbs. The only feeling I had was my heart aching in my chest. Where could she have gone?

“Hae, Hae! Your phone is ringing.” I heard Eunhyuk saying before I reluctantly took my phone out of my pocket. However, the caller made me smile.

“Soobin! Where are you?” I said but the other end was silent.

“USD 3 million dollars Seoul central park. Come alone. We have people watching you so don’t try anything stupid. If you want your wife to live, do as we say.” And the person hung up.

“What did Soobin say? Where is she?” Haemin asked as the phone slipped out of my grip.

“I’m going to pick her now. Distract Omma and Appa. Don’t let them know she ran out.” I said before running out of the hotel, flagging a taxi.

I went home to get my bank book and ID card and grabbed an empty bag before driving off to Seoul International bank.

I spoke to the manager where he led me to a private office and took the money out for me. He kept looking at me suspiciously, but I remained calm and left the building before driving as fast as I could towards Seoul Central Park.

It was quite quiet as there was no much people. My phone rang again and It was an unknown number. I guess it’s the people giving me instructions to meet.

“Turn left and drop the bag in the cardboard box.” The voice said.

“Show me Soobin.” I said

“Look across the lake.” He said. I looked and I saw her struggling.

I went towards the cardboard box and dropped the bag. My eyes never leaving Soobin and I saw him let her go before running into the crowd of trees behind him. Soobin ran towards me as I also ran towards her.

“I’m glad you’re safe.” I said pulled her into a hug.

“I thought I would not see you again.” She said.

“Come on let’s get out of here first.” I said and we got into the car.

I drove off as quick as I could, making our way back to the hotel like nothing happened, so that Omma and Appa and the guest would not know that we were gone.

“I should have been more careful.” She said.

“It’s not your fault. You didn’t know they would appear.” I said. I turned into the narrow road which is of a faster route to the hotel. However, I was too careless as I didn’t notice people following us.

I only got to know when they banged our car. From the side and from the back. I drove faster and lost them. I wanted to pull the car to a stop, but the brakes did not work. I became flustered and lost control of the car which knocked into the curb.

“Let’s go.” I said, pulling Soobin out of the car. We were lucky that we did not suffer any injury. We ran and ran till we’re about to arrive at the hotel. We let our guard down, causing a terrible thing to have happened.

“Watch out!” was what I last heard before my world went black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Is my son going to be alright?”

“He’ll be fine. He did not suffer from any injury. He just had a slight knock on his head. It did not cause any concussion. He’s really lucky.”

I opened my eyes slowly to see an unfamiliar surrounding.

“Oh son! You’re awake!” I Saw Omma saying to me.

“Where am I?” I asked as I held my head as it was slightly throbbing.

“You’re in the hospital.”Omma said before her smile faded away.

“Where’s Soobin?” I asked as all the things that happened came back to me. “Is she ok?” I asked again, but Omma was silent.

“Omma! Tell me! Where is she!” I exclaimed.

“She’s… still having an operation.” Omma said. I stood up from the bed and ran to the operation theatre where many people were gathered.

I saw Soobin’s Omma crying in her husband’s arm and Haemin doing the same in Eunhyuk’s arms. Jaejoong had a panic expression on his face as Victoria was reassuring him. I walked towards the entrance of the operating theatre slowly.

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me.

“Donghae.” I heard Noona call me, but I cannot let my eyes shift from the operation sign.

I looked at it for a real long time before it turned off and the doors opened.

“Doctor! How is my daughter? Is she ok?” Omoni asked and the doctor shook his head.

“I’m sorry we did our best. The impact on her head was so great that it caused a huge damage to her brain. She is alive, but she is now brain dead. She needs a miracle to wake up. I’m sorry.” He said before walking away.

Omoni’s sobbing grew louder and louder. Haemin buried her head into Eunhyuk’s chest as Eunhyuk shed silent tears. I felt someone’s pull me towards her.

“Be strong.” Noona said as she my hair. I broke down in tears as I could not feel my legs anymore. I slipped out of Noona’s embrace and collapse on the floor.

“Soobin.” I said as my tears could not stop flowing out of my eyes. My wife, I was not able to treat you well yet. We still have not gone on our honeymoon. I have not showed you our new home. I have failed to protect you. As a husband, I failed to protect you.

‘Donghae.” I felt people hauling me up and place me on what seemed like a chair.

When I went into the room, I saw Soobin sleeping peacefully on the bed however, there was so many machines around her and she was wearing an oxygen mask. Her face was covered in cuts and her head was wrapped in gauze.

“Let’s go back. You need to rest too.” I heard Noona say as she was about to pull the wheelchair away, but I gripped on the bed railings.

“I want to stay here with her.” I said.

“Donghae…”

It’s all my fault. It’s all my fault she’s here. If I had paid more attention, Soobin won’t be here. She would not be lying here. She would be alive. She would not need to survive by relying on these machines! It’s all my fault!

“Donghae.” I heard another voice calling me before she turned the wheelchair around to face her.

“Soobin won’t want to see you like this. Go and rest. Do this for her. Don’t make her save you just to have you crying by her bed every day.” Omma said.

“She’s lying here motionless because she… saved me?” I said and omma nodded her head before tears fell out uncontrollably.

I allowed Omma to push me back into my ward as I curled myself under the blankets, thinking of what Omma said. I tried to recall what happen but all I remembered lastly was Soobin shouting watch out before I felt my head hit onto something and I lost conscious.

Tears streamed out of my eyes unconsciously as I tried so hard to think of what happened. As I tried to recall what happened, I unconsciously fell asleep.

“NO!” I exclaimed as I sat up straight. The image of her pushing me away kept replaying in my mind, but in different scenario. She got shot, she got pushed to a wall, she got strangled. It was so horrible to even think of.

I looked around the room which was quiet. There was no one around. I slipped out of bed and walked to Soobin ward. I opened the door to see no one there. I guess her parents are really sad. It’s all my fault. I caused her to become like this. If we didn’t get married, she would be safe. If I hadn’t make her realize her feelings for me, I would still be watching her from afar. At least I know she’s alive.

I sat on the chair beside her bed and held on her hand which was once soft and warm but now cold and still. I blew hot air into her hand like I used to as her hands get cold easily.

I touched her cheeks gently, but seeing her eyes closed just made my heart ache.

“Soobin, wake up.” I said, knowing that would not work.

“We still haven’t go for our wedding banquet.” I said.

“Our guests are waiting for us. Let’s go.” I said as I felt tears wetting my cheeks.

“Put on your wedding gown and look beautiful and show the guests what a beautiful… bride I have.” I choked on my tears as I could no hold in anymore.

“Please wake up. You promised not to leave me.” I cried, holding onto her hand tight.

“Grip my hand like how you use to. Wipe my tears with your hand like how you always do. Soobin please!”

I placed my head on the bed, crying my heart out, not knowing what else can I do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Donghae ah~” I heard a voice calling me as I lifted my head to see Soobin smiling at me.

I looked around to find myself in her ward. All the machines attaching to her body was gone. The cuts on her face disappeared and on her head was her luscious long black hair which she treasured so much.

“Soobin.” I looked at her in shock as she smiled at me.

“Not happy to see me?” She asked as she held on my hand tight.

“You’re ok?” I asked

“Why am I not? I just hurt my head. Nothing much.” She said as she smiled.

“But the doctor said…”

“It’s a miracle Donghae. I can wake up because of your tears which created this miracle. Thank you.” She smiled as she touched my cheeks gently like she always do.

“Let’s go.” She said.

“Where?”

“We’re getting discharged today. Come on! Let’s go!” She said a she pulled my hand and we ran out of the hospital.

We hopped on a cab and he drove off.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Secret.” She said as she rested her head on my shoulder and gripped on my hand tightly.

It seems like we’re moving in the speed of light as we arrived in the blink of an eye.

I got out of the taxi and looked at where we were.

Lotte World.

“Let’s go! Before the Ferris wheel gets crowded!” She said and pulled me to the Ferris wheel where the queue was totally empty.

We got into a cabin before it rose slowly.

Soobin mumbled something which I could not quite catch but when I asked her what it is, she said it’s nothing and smiled vibrantly at me.

“This is the place which gave us the most happy memories.” She said and I nodded my head.

“Donghae ah.” She called my name softly.

“Hmm…”

“Will you love me forever?” She asked.

“Of course. I’ll love you for eternity.”

“Even when I die, you’ll love me?” She asked.

“Don’t say of such things.” I said.

“If I really die, Leave a space for me in your heart. Go find someone else who loves you. But never forget me.” She smiled at me softly.

“Don’t say nonsense. We’ll live together forever.” I said as I her hair lightly.

“I was just saying.” She smiled as we looked at the beautiful view ahead of us. The view of Seoul is beautiful, but it’s more beautiful when you view it with someone you love.

“Donghae, Let’s go see the sunset. We have never seen it at the beach before.” Soobin said and I nodded my head.

“Anything for you.” I said as the cabin appeared the next moment.  

Soobin as I walked hand in hand slowly before we got to the beach. I didn’t know how we manage to do that, but we just did.

We found a nice quiet spot where there was no one and sat own, looking at the orange sun, setting slowly.

“Why does the sun set?” Soobin asked me.

“So that the moon will come out.” I said.

“How I wish the Sun will never set.” She said.

“But when the sun rises, it represents a new beginning.” I said cheerfully.

“Yeah, it represents a new beginning.” She smiled as she played with the sand.

We both sat in silence as we watch the sun slowly disappear behind the horizon. When there was not a single streak of light left, we could see the moon clearly. It was so bright and beautiful.

“Promise me you’ll have a new beginning when the sun rises Donghae.” She said.

“Why?” I asked as she kept asking very weird questions today.

“Promise me.” She said as she turned her head and look at me with a very serious expression.

“But… I promise you. I’ll have a new beginning.” I said. She’s really acting really weird.

“Ok. My time is up.” She said as she stood up.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“I’m going back.” She smiled at me softly, but I noticed tears in her eyes.

“I’ll send you.” I said and I stood up, seeing her tears clearly as one drop of tear escape her eyes.

“It’s somewhere which you cannot go. Goodbye Donghae. Don’t forget me.” She said as she walked away slowly. I tried catching up with her, but I could never reach her. I saw her walking further and further away before her back view disappears from my sight.

Beep…………………….

I opened my see to see that I was still by Soobin’s bed and her eyes were still closed. I then realized the beep and looked at the machine and it indicates that her heartbeat had stopped. I stared at it for a very long time before I heard the door open and doctors rush in.

Was that Goodbye? Did Soobin come to tell me Goodbye? I was in a daze for a long time outside Soobin’s ward.

“My daughter!” Omoni cried outside the ward as I too realized tears streamed down my face.

Please don’t let her die. Please let it only be a dream and nothing more than that.

When the doors opened the doctor came out and Aboji went to asked the doctor

“How’s my daughter?”

“I’m sorry. She’s left us and passed on. I’m sorry.” He said before he walked away. I dragged myself into her ward to see the machine being disconnected from her body and she laid there peacefully like she’s asleep.

I then saw a streak of light shining from the window. The sun has risen. It’s now a new day which is a new beginning.

How can I have a new beginning? You’re the person I’ve waiting for and loved for so long. How can I just move on? I collapse on the floor and let my tears flow continuously.

“Son.” I heard Aboji call me as I looked at him.

“Don’t put the blame to yourself. Be strong Soobin won’t want to see you like this.” He said as I could see he was holding in all his sadness.

Soobin, please go in peace. You’ll forever be in my heart. I would never forget you. I thought in my mind as I clutch the shirt which lays above my heart.

My heart aches so badly, but I have to do what Soobin had last told me to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week later

Soobin’s Funeral was grand. All her friends, family, relatives, clients, employees came to send her off. Everyone came to me and told me to be strong. For her, I am going to be strong.

“I’m sorry.” Haemin cried as she came to me. Eunhyuk pat her back lightly as he looked at me, giving me a light nod, telling me to be strong.

“Soobin was a good friend and a good boss. She never mistreated any of her workers. She treats all of us like family, working even later than us, never giving us overtime and lets us off early when we need to. We can never find such a nice boss anywhere else. Without her, I won’t be where I am now. She allowed me to meet such a great man. Soobin ah, please watch over all of us. We all will keep you in our hearts as there’s no one who could be a better person than you.” Haemin ended her speech before she returned to Eunhyuk’s side, tears staining her face.

A month later

It all died down. It seems like her death was forgotten. The people lived like how they used to. Her news had been over the news for weeks. Reports could not stop harassing my in-law that they had to leave for the States.

“I don’t think we’ll be back soon.” Aboji said before he boarded the plane.

“This place brings back too much sad memories for my wife and I. Can I leave the Korea company in your hands?” He asked me and I nodded my head.

After Soobin left, there was no one managing the Korea Branch Office. I had quit my doctor’s job as I could not bring myself to work for weeks. We had combined the managing of Park Hotel and our company’s hotel and I’m managing them.

After 3 years

Soobin has left us for 3 years. For the past 3 years, I have been working till late nights and leaving for the office in the early morning. I was flooding myself with work to forget my pain. However, when I return home, I face the empty house and the empty bedroom, my heart aches. Every night, there would be tears staining my face. I could not bear to remove any of Soobin’s pictures from the room. It was suppose to be our newlywed house, but she has never gotten the chance to see it.

I looked the wedding photo that hung above our bed. She was smiling so sweetly.

“Soobin ah, how are you doing?” I asked the picture as I touched her face gently like it was her physically.

I’ll never be able to forget her.

Not now, not ever.

There’s only enough place for her in my heart.

If only I had a different dream, she might not have left…..

End of Donghae’s POV

Looking at the picture for the last time, Donghae lay on his bed, and closed his eyes, tears sliding down his face. However, he doesn’t know actually she has been watching him all the while.

‘I’m sorry.’ she hovered her hand above his face, wanting to wipe his tears away, but circumstances didn’t allow her to.

They’re now living in different worlds, having different dreams.

THE END