Another

Different dreams

 

Donghae’s POV

I looked at her for what seemed like eternity. My eyes are not playing tricks on me is it? It’s really her? The girl I’ve been waiting for for the past 7 years?

“Soobin?” I said and she was still staring at me with disbelief.

“Is it really you?” I asked again and she stood up.

“I think I’d better go.” She said and walked towards the door. I ran after her and pulled her back.

After 7 years, she’s finally back. For the past 7 years, I’ve been missing her and dreading that she would never come back. For the past 7 years, I placed so much effort in studying because of what she said before she left. She told me to stud hard and practice more on my English and that’s what I did. I studied so hard that my grades were good enough to get me into medical school.

No matter how much Appa objected, I went on with it and finally, Appa gave in. I was one of the best students in school. I spent day and night studying. No matter how tired and how frustrated I was, once I think of Soobin, I’ll get back my will power to strive on.

“When did you come back?” I asked.

“Just today.” Knowing that i wouldn’t let her leave so easily, she went back to take a seat.

“We’ll put our personal problems aside first. What can I help you with?”

She told me her problems and I told her we would go for an X-ray check to see if there’s anything wrong. After doing the check and they X-ray, it showed that there was nothing wrong, but she should keep to her 3 meals each day and try to avoid having extreme time changes in her meal.

“Thank you.” She said and she was about to leave again.

“Why don’t we go out for lunch? You must be waiting for a long time and skipped your meal.” I said and she was about to protest, but I took off my doctor’s coat and wore my suit jacket.

“Don’t you still have patients?” she asked.

“You’re my last patient for the day. I was glad I didn’t decide to stop a patient earlier.” I smiled before we headed out. On our way out, she called her driver to take a leave first since she has met a friend and is going for lunch together.

“So how long are you staying here for?” I asked.

“I guess for a long time since I’m taking over my father’s CEO position in Korea while he focus on the America side. How have you been? I heard from Haemin that you have been doing really well after Senior high. ” She said.

“I got into medical school and decided to be a doctor. For Dong-jung corp, I’ll not interfere for the moment.”

During lunch, we talked about how we’ve been for the past 7 years. She’s a different person as compared to the Soobin I’ve met 7 years ago. She’s more charismatic and more independent. Just the way how a CEO of a company would look like.

“I’m meeting Haemin and most probably Eunhyuk. Do you want to come along? It’ll be like some sort of reunion for us.” She suggested and I agreed. Why not? I haven’t met Eunhyuk and Haemin for a really long time.

Soobin moved back t her old house which is just beside Haemin’s house. Just nice, I received Haemin and Eunhyuk’s wedding invitations this morning. I wanted to congratulate them but I didn’t know where to look for them.

End of Donghae’s POV

Soobin’s POV

I hopped onto Donghae’s car as he drove to my place. When we arrived, I saw that silly grin Eunhyuk always had when he was happy. On Haemin’s hands were a bouquet of fresh flowers. Eunhyuk must have gave her that no wonder she looked so happy. As I got off, Haemin rushed over and pushed that bouquet of flowers to me.

“WELCOME BACK!” Haemin and Eunhyuk exclaimed, causing me to almost go deaf.

“Yah! Aren’t you guys happy to see me too?” Someone spoke from behind me. I almost forgot about Donghae.

“DONGHAE!” Haemin exclaimed before pulling him over towards us.

“Soobin! You look so different now!” Eunhyuk said as he looked at me.

“Of course she is. I heard from you Omma that you’re taking over the Korea’s office.” Haemin said.

“WOAH!” Eunhyuk exclaimed causing me to blush.

We then head to a nearby place for dinner. Since Donghae and I had just had really late lunch, We sat there and talked with them.

I repeated my life story with the both of them again. I found out that Haemin is working in an office as their CEO’s secretary while Eunhyuk is a dance teacher in an arts school.

“Why don’t you work for me?” I asked Haemin and she looked shock. It wasn’t a bad thing having your best friend as your secretary.

“I can?” She asked with her eyes gleaming.

“Of course. I currently don’t have one so it’s alright for you to come. Even if I had one, Appa would understand.” I said and she hugged me.

It has been years that I sat down and have a meal with my friends. In America, because we stay far away from each other, these kinds of chances rarely happens. After we went to college, we almost lost contact with most of them.

“So id you get any boyfriends when you were in America?” Eunhyuk asked and I could feel heated gaze from my right. I ignored them.

“No. I didn’t have time for that.” I said and I saw from my peripheral vision, Donghae heaved a sigh of relief.

“Why not? I bet there was a whole group of guys wanting to date you.” Haemin said.

“There was. I just didn’t want to.” I said.

Actually I almost got into a relationship, but something happened and I couldn’t afford to accept his heart, so I told myself I’m going to remain single till I really found someone I like.

Haemin asked me to be her bridesmaid while Eunhyuk asked Donghae to be his best man. I sometimes really wonder if the both of them were in this together. They’re like pushing me to Donghae over and over again, from 7 years ago till now. However, since Haemin is my best friend, I couldn’t reject.

After talking for so long, we then realised it was turning 11 soon. Donghae and Eunhyuk sent both of us home before both of them make their ways home respectively.

“Thank you. I guess I’ll see you at the hospital a few weeks later than.” I said.

“Can’t we meet out of the hospital as friends?” He asked.

“Of course we can.” I said but I realised I haven’t had time to apply for a mobile phone. He passed me his name card and asked me to call him when I get my phone. Looking at it, I realised it’s the same phone number from 7 years ago. So he really mean it that he’ll always be there for me?

When i got back to my room, I took out a box from my luggage. It’s the one where Donghae gave me. I didn’t know why, but for years, I couldn’t throw it away. I would panic when I couldn’t find it, I would read the card over and over again.

Back in America, during college, Brandon had confessed to me. He said that he wanted to protect me from anything that would harm me. I trusted him because he’s the one who saved me. However, on the day where Brandon and I arranged to meet for me to give him my answer, I saw this box. I felt that it was wrong to accept Brandon. It felt like dating my own brother. I couldn’t do it.

Suddenly, I heard a soft knock on the door to see Omma standing at the door, smiling at me. I placed the box back onto the table.

“Soobin ah, you saw Donghae today, am I right?” Omma asked and I nodded my head.

“My girl, face your true feelings. You’ll hurt yourself more by keeping everything inside. Trust omma.” I looked at her as she pat my hand gently. I could never hide anything from Omma.

When I rejected Brandon, I came home and Omma came to talk to me. She knows that I like Donghae and I’m just not true to myself. I know this myself. However, I just couldn’t do it. I just couldn’t be together with Donghae no matter what. Even though I know I am torturing Donghae this way, but I just can’t do it.

After 7 years, I came back to Korea and I didn’t want to meet Donghae was because I know once I see him I might get soft hearted. After 7 years of not seeing him, of course I would. During lunch, I was so tempted to tell him I felt the same way he was feeling, but I didn’t because I know it’s wrong. I’m so frustrated. I couldn’t help but to hurry go to work so I can forget everything for the moment.

For the past 7 years, I studied and worked my time away. Whenever I’m free, I’ll end up thinking of that past and I didn’t want that to happen. I’ll really burry my head in my books. However, when time went by, it became more and more useless because by night time, I would see that box Donghae gave me. No matter where I hid it, I would find it because I know where it is. I tried asking Omma to hid it from me, but I asked her almost every day if it was in good condition. I kept thinking about that box. Even though it’s not living and it’s only an object, but it meant a lot to me.

I headed downstairs and got myself a glass of red wine. I really need to forget all this nonsense.

“Thinking of Donghae again? Soobin ah. You’re back in Korea I could see how much Donghae still likes you. Just go to him. If you don’t do something, Omma will.” We’re back to this talk again. For the past 7 years, Omma and I had been talking about this.

“Omma, you know I have my reasons.” I said before gulping down the entire glass of wine. Glass after glass, I finally felt the alcohol effect kicking in and I know it’s time to head to bed. For years, this has been my habit. Whenever I did this, Omma will know what’s wrong.

I was prepared for a splitting headache the next morning, bt I didn’t care because after popping a few aspirins, it’ll be all over.

“Morning!” Haemin greeted me.

“Morning.” I said.

“About your job offer, I need a few more days to tender my registration.” She explained and I understand. It’s not easy anyway. I wasn’t really urgent fr it so she can take her time.

When I got to the office, the vice president introduced me and guided my through my first day. However, I could tell that the employees were pin pointing behind my back. No matter what they do, I’m not guilty because I know in weeks to come, their attitude towards me will change and there will be no more ‘she pulled strings’ talk.

“I’ll be leaving now. I still have some personal matters to attend to.” I said before leaving the office. My frist stop was to get a phone. Without it ringing constantly, I felt so uncomfortable. Heading into a store, I bought a local sim card before putting it into my phone and immediately, it came to life. I turned around and knocked into someone.

“I’m so sorry!” I bowed and it was another unexpected person. I really want to know why was fate so cruel with me?

End of Soobin’s POV