Accept

Different dreams

 

Soobin’s POV

The next moment when I woke up, I saw the skies were dark and I took my phone to find that I have received tons of calls from different people, mainly Eunhyuk and Haemin. I guess I know why they called. However, the most surprising thing is that there was nothing from Donghae. I was somehow disappointed.

Looking at the time, it was 11pm and judging from how early Omma sleeps, I can go out for a breather without her realizing. I headed back to my room dragging the mattress and it’s contents with me before changing into something more fitting for nightlife.

I grabbed my heels and went downstairs barefooted. I closed the door and hailed a cab since Driver Ahjusshi must have gone home already. I told the driver to drive me to MIROTIC which is one of the nearer clubs.

I sat down at the bar and got myself a drink. Sitting in the club with loud music blasting in my ears makes me forget about most of my misery for the moment. It was then I felt someone tap on my shoulder. If it’s someone looking for a hook up, he can get ready to die.

However, when I turned around, I found it to be none other than Jaejoong.

“It’s you. What brings you here?” I asked as I took a sip of my vodka lime.

“Chilling out. It’s a surprise to see you here though. Where’s your fiancé to be?” He asked as he took the seat beside mine.

“Let’s not talk about him.” I said as I turned back to look at my drink.

“Seems like you’re having a rough time.” He said and from his tone, I could sense a smirk on his face.

“Couples always have rough times.” I replied as I drowned down my drink before asking for another one.

“Then you should have chosen me instead. I would have been a much better choice than he is.” Jaejoong said and I looked at him.

“Both of you are similar, but somehow different. That’s all I can say. I like Donghae’s difference as compared to yours.” I said and that totally wiped the smirk off his face.

I gulped down glass after glass of vodka before Jaejoong and I went into a very heated conversation.

“Listen!” He said as he grabbed my arm, causing our faces to be barely inches away from each other.

I looked into his eyes as he looked into mine. I didn’t know what got into me, but as his face inched closer, I didn’t retaliate like how I usually do. I just let him carry on. We kissed for what seemed like hours before Donghae’s face appeared in my mind like how it did 7 years ago when Jaejoong and I almost kissed in the movie theatre.

I pushed Jaejoong away, realising what I have just done. I paid for my drinks and was about to go when he pulled me back.

“I’ll send you” He said.

“I’ll take a cab.” I insisted, but he didn’t allow me to leave. He insisted that he send me home since it’s so late and I’m slightly drunk. Some cab driver might take advantage of me.

“Then you won’t? Because apparently you just did.” I said and he said he wouldn’t.

I didn’t know why but I just let him drive me home.

I stumbled back into my room and lay flat on my bed. My head hurts and the only thing I can think of is how I betrayed Donghae by kissing Jaejoong.

The next morning, when I got to work, Haemin followed me into my office and I know where this is going to.

“Soobin...” She called out my name.

“Haemin, I know where this is going to.” I said but she walked closer to me.

“Donghae would never lie to you.” She said.

“He just did and for a very long time.” I said as I flipped through the files on my desk.

For around 15 minutes, Haemin tried to persuade me to forgive Donghae. However, this is not the only problem I’m having. The other is that I cannot face Donghae after what I’ve done.

During lunch, I stayed in the office. Haemin asked me if I wanted her to pack food back for me, but I shook my head. I looked out of my office window somehow hoping Donghae would appear and bring me out for lunch, but I half expected that wouldn’t happen.

When I heard a knock on my door, my spirits lightened up. However, it wasn’t Donghae.

“Dr. Lee, What brings you here?” I asked. It’s Donghae’s sister.

“I’ve came here to explain.”

“There’s no need to. I’ve seen everything.” I said.

“I know you know it is not what you think it is.” She said. After all, she’s a psychiatrist.

I kept silent and looked at her. She gave me a reassuring smile before she started explaining.

“Sunye is a girl who’d been wooing Donghae. In his university days, girls adored him. However, he never took a single glance at any one of them. Only Sunye persisted. She follows him everywhere and there were occasions where she followed him home. Donghae had told her many times that he won’t accept her but she didn’t give up. I have even acted as his girlfriend to shoo her off, but she never gave up. Donghae had been avoiding her for years. She had stop coming to him for a few years, but we didn’t expect her appear all of a sudden again. Soobin, Donghae is serious about you. He never lied to you. When I got home yesterday, I saw him laying on his bed, hugging the photo of you and him together, with tear stains on his face.”

“I just need some time. When I’m ready, I’ll call him. Just tell him to not do anything silly to himself.” I said and she smiled.

“Donghae is lucky to have you.” She said and I smiled back weakly at her.

“Guess I’ll be going.” She said and stood up. I send her out and went back to my office.

Maybe that day, I should have listened to Donghae and not get so worked up before even listening to his explanation. If I had listened to him, I won’t have kissed Jaejoong.

“Hey.” I heard and looked up to find Jaejoong standing at the door, smiling at me with food in his hand.

“Hi.” I said before stopping my work.

“I guess you would be in the office so I brought you lunch.” He said and settled it down in front of me. I looked at it and saw that it was Kimbap and egg rolls. He still remembered I liked them.

“You still remembered.” I said and tried my best to smile.

“I remember everything about you.” He said and my expression returned to normal. I shouldn’t have said that.

The both of us ate in silence and when we were done, Jaejoong offered to throw the rubbish away. When he left, I started looking at my work again. I didn’t notice Jaejoong coming back until I felt a hand above mine. When I realised it was Jaejoong’s, I pulled my hand away.

I looked at him as he gave me a weak smile. I know his feelings for me, but my heart doesn’t belong to me anymore. I have always treated Jaejoong like a friend, nothing more.

“I guess I’ll get going.” He said.

“Thank you for your lunch.” I said and he smiled. With that, he left my office.

The day seemed to pass really slowly.

However, when I buried myself in work, I didn’t realise it was already so late till Omma called me.

When I got home, it was close to 12 midnight. I looked at the food Omma left for me on the table. I loved Omma’s food, but I’m not in the mood to eat anything now. I kept the food into the fridge before going up to my room to see the mattress folded up nicely beside my bed.

I took a shower and opened the mattress again. Laying on it, i really miss Donghae. Thinking about him makes tears fall uncontrollably. I took my phone and look at my phone. No messages, no miss calls. There was nothing from him.

I opened my inbox to read our message conversations. The more I read on, the more I cannot stop crying. My finger hovered over the call button. I want to call him, but it’s already so late and what will I say to him? However, I couldn’t hold back anymore. I need to hear his voice.

“Soobin?” I heard his hoarse voice.

“Donghae....” I didn’t know why but I couldn’t stop crying. I couldn’t say anything.

“Soobin? What’s wrong? Are you alright? Are you hurt? Where are you?” He bombarded me with tons of questions.

“I’m at home. I miss you.” I sobbed.

“I’ll go over now. Wait for me alright.” He said and hung up.

I couldn’t stop crying. It’s all my fault that both of us are suffering. If I had been more forgiving and listened to him, I won’t feel so guilty and so miserable.

I headed downstairs and curled myself into a ball on the sofa, clutching tightly on my phone. When it rang, I picked it up immediately. Donghae said he’s at the door. I opened the door to see him standing in front of me with a smile. How I miss him.

I hugged him like he would disappear. When he returned the hug, I felt that my life is back in place.

“I’m sorry.” I said as he my back.

“I don’t blame you. I should have told you.” He said.

We took a stroll in the neighbourhood, hand in hand. Because I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt, I felt cold. He took off his jacket and put it around me.

“You need it more than me. I’m a guy. I’m physically strong.” He smiled and how I miss it. Even though it was only for a day, I felt that I’ve not seen him for years.

I took glances at him while we walked and I realise he is so handsome. His eyes are attractive. I wonder why I didn’t get attracted to him back in school, but rather, I decided to be his worst enemy. It’s because he was a bully. That’s why I detested him so much.

“What are you thinking of?” He asked as he squeezed my hand slightly tighter to grab my attention.

“Nothing much. Just how we met and why we became enemies instead of friends.”

“If you never decide to save Eunhyuk, perhaps we wouldn’t be like how we are now.” He smiled as we continued walking.

My other hand which wasn’t covered by donghae’s warmth felt cold, so I placed it in his jacket pocket to find something inside. I took it out to find it to be a small box.

I turned to look at Donghae to find him looking somewhere else. I tapped his shoulder and he looked at me, giving me a blur look.

I showed him the box and all he did was smile. He let go of my hand and told me to open it. When I did, I gasped at the sight of it immediately. It was a wedding band. I didn’t know why but my sight got blinded by tears.

“Hae...” I said as my voice cracked slightly.

“Omo. Soobin. Don’t cry.” He said, trying to comfort me, but I laughed at his reaction. He stood in front of me like a crab and it was really funny.

I jumped into his embrace and hugged him. I felt his body stiffen before he returned the hug.

“So is this a yes?” He asked as he pulled me away from his embrace as I nodded my head slowly. I guess this might be the wisest choice I’ve made in my life.

“REALLY?! Soobin agree to marry me! Yeah!” He cheered before I pulled him and covered his mouth. If he didn’t realise, we’re outside in a quiet neighbourhood in the middle of the night and he’s making so much noise.

“Hae!” I exclaimed softly before he kept quiet and smile. That smile wasn’t wiped off his face even till he walked me home.

End of Soobin’s POV