Dance

Different dreams

 

Soobin’s POV

On Monday, the first person that came to me in School was no one other than Donghae. This isn’t a really good way to start my week.

“Soobin, can I have a word with you.” He asked as I could feel the whole school staring at us. I nodded my head slowly before following him. This time, he never forcefully drag me away like the other times. He brought me to a deserted corridor and ensure that no one was around before speaking.

“About bullying you, I apologise. I promise not to hurt Eunhyuk anymore.” he said and I was shocked. Are my ears playing tricks on me?

“Really?” I asked.

“Really.” He looked at me with an apologetic expression.

I couldn’t help but give him a smile. He’s finally letting Eunhyuk off his hook. I thought this day would never come.

“Thank you.” I said and he smiled. He looked better with a smile on his face than to look all bully like.

“I’ll get going.” He said awkwardly and I nodded my head.

“Bye. See you around.” I waved at him and he waved back before we both left for our own class.

When I got back to class, most of my classmates had their eyes fixed on me. When I took my seat, Haemin bombarded me with questions. She was happy that Eunhyuk is getting off the hook too.

“You’re starting practice today right?” Haemin asked and I nodded my head.

I’m so excited. I wonder what would we be doing. The other time when I went to their practice, they were doing more on freestyle. After they started training for the competition, I have never went to look so I’m so excited.

Haemin, Eunhyuk and I met at the cafeteria after school. He was kind of nervous since he’s afraid he cannot do well, but Haemin comforted him saying he’ll be alright since he’s so talented. I guess he’s also nervous because Donghae’s there and he’s very scared of Donghae.

“Alright. Let’s welcome out new comers.” Round of applause was heard as Ms. Sh introduced us to the club. There’s only a few of us. I guess they had a hard time choosing since I remembered there was tons of them on the audition day.

“I’m Kim Yeon hee”

“I’m Lee Eunhyuk”

“I’m Lee Taemin.”

“I’m Park Soobin.”

That’s the end of the introductions and Ms. Shi asked us to break into pairs. I was about to walk to Eunhyuk when a grtoup of guys came to me.

“Soobin sshi, can I be your partner?” I looked at Eunhyuk and was about to decline when someone spoke up.

“She’s my partner.” I turned around to see Donghae and the guys backed away. I looked at Eunhyuk and he gave me the look telling me it’s ok. However, in no time, a big group of girls approached him, asking him to be their partners, but he chose Haemin who was standing near him.

I felt someone take my hand and bring me to the front of the studio. Looking at Donghae, he kept a straight face and Ms. Shi taught us the dance. It’s actually a duet and the best ‘couple’ would be chosen to represent the team.

The dance had a more y feel to it so body contact was needed. I felt really uncomfortable with Donghae since he was staring at me like there was no end.

“Soobin shi, relax.” Ms shi said as she came over to us as we practiced. Donghae spun me around and I had to fall back on him.

A couple dance actually needs a lot of trust within each other. However, I don’t have that trust for Donghae so it’s hard for s to practice together.

“I won’t do anything to you so trust me.” Donghae took a step forward so our bodies are plastered together, but I took a step forward and turned around.

“I’m sorry. I need time.” I sad as we continued. We got stuck at that move again.

“Can’t you trust me for once?” He asked and I could see he was sincere about it so I decided to trust him for that once. We started from the top again and when the move came, I fell back and he caught me and we continued before getting stuck at the next trust move which is more difficult.

“That’s good!” Ms shi complimented us. However, she told us that in couple dance, the girl must give their full trust to the guys. She had also decided that we would be permanently together for couple dance practice.

There’s a few of us that got complimented by Ms shi and chosen to be the permanent couples.

“Those I’ve chose to be permanent couples would be those who will have a chance to get the spot for the couple dance section. There would be practices for you on Wednesday and Fridays. Those not chosen will have practice at studio 2 with Mr. Park.” She announced at the end of the day.

It seems like I’ll be really busy with all this club activities.

“Ok everyone other than the couples are dismissed.” I looked at Haemin and she said she would wait for me outside.

“Come for practice tomorrow. We’ll have to practice your trust level in each other. To make this dance perfect, you have to give each other all your trust.”

It seems like I’m going to be going through a lot of torment. Even though now I know Donghae is not as bad as he seems to be, but what happened cannot be changed.

Haemin Eunhyuk and I walked home together. I kept turning around for some reason and I guess perhaps I was too used to having Donghae following me home and he doesn’t do it now so it made me feel weird somehow.

“What are you looking at?” Haemin asked me after we bid Eunhyuk goodbye.

“Oh nothing.” I said as she gave me that looking telling me she’s suspicious.

When I got home, everything went smoothly until there’s a call at night that made me really uncomfortable.

“Hello.”

“It’s me, Donghae.”

“Oh. Erm why are you calling me at this time of night?”

“Can’t you trust me?” He asked and I myself also don’t know why I cannot trust him.

“I need time. After that incident, it’s not that easy.”

“I…”

“it’s not easy for me to trust you. You should know. I don’t even know if time would let me trust you so I only can ask you to be patient.”

“Something happened to you before am I right?”

“It has nothing to do with you. So just be patient. I need to go now. I’ll see you during practice tomorrow.” With that, I hung up.

 What is he to me to start interfering with my life? Does he want to represent the school in this competition so much? I know he’s the president of the dance club, but he can only blame himself for choosing me to be his partner. He knows we don’t have a good relationship to start with and now he can’t represent the school he’s here to force me?

During practice the next day, I was beyond pissed since he has been bugging me the entire morning to tell him what happened before. It seems like he’s desperate to represent the school. He has all the fame he already needs. Next successor of Dong-Jung Corp., Kingka of Chungnam high. What more fame does he want?

“Guys, blindfold your partner.” Ms. Shi said and Donghae tied the blindfold on my eyes, allowing me to see only pitch black.

Now we, girls are suppose to maneuver ourselves around the room without bumping into each other. The guys will give us instructions to where should we walk to.

When it started, I kept bumping into people. Was it just me or was everyone having trouble? However, I felt more at ease when I heard some screams of pain. I kept my ears sharp for Donghae’s voice but why does it feel like he wasn’t giving me instructions?

Instead of heading straight, I started turning left and started bumping into people. I couldn’t hear him at all. Was he fooling me?

“Soobin! Right! Turn right!” Suddenly his voice rang in my ears and I turned right, feeling someone’s clothes brushing my arms. That was considered close. After around 10 to 320 minutes, we’re tasked to do something different.

“The guys, extend your arms forward and the girls stand in front of your partner, in front of their extended arms. The next task is one of the moves for the dance. The girl will have to trust the guy and fall back. The guy will have to catch your partner, before pushing them forward back into sanding position.”

We got into places and I took a deep breath.

“I’ll be ready when you are.” I heard him saying behind me. I looked at other couples and all I could see was other girls falling down again and again.

“Don’t worry. We succeeded once. We’re bound to succeed again.” He said again and I should just try and trust him. It’s true that we’ve succeeded once, but seeing other girls falling, it makes me scared of falling as well.

I shall just try. I extended my arms sideways and fell back. All I felt was something soft before being pushed back again. We succeeded!

“We succeeded!” I was so happy and was jumping in excitement. What I didn’t realize was that I was hugging onto Donghae and was jumping in his embrace. When I realized, it was really awkward. I cleared my throat before Donghae asks that we practice for a few more times. All those times, the results were the same. All came out to be a pure success.

“Next movement is that the girl will have to do a forward cartwheel while the guy has to hold your partner’s ankles before the girl succeeds with a perfect backward cartwheel.”

This one is not easy. We were to stand quite far apart. Getting into the ready position, I did the forward cartwheel and felt Donghae’s hands on my ankles before he gave a light push before doing a backward cartwheel back into place.

“The both of you are making a lot of progress from yesterday.” Ms. Shi said before walking around other teams.

“Last movement of the day, the guy would have to carry your partner and place her on your left shoulder. This movement is not only about trust, but also the guy’s strength. If you cannot lift your partner then no matter how much trust there is, there are limits.”

Donghae and I decided to start out with lifting first since we have to get used to it first. I faced him and he place his hands n my waist while I place mine on his shoulder. On the count of 3, he lifted me while I place my hand on his shoulder for support in case his hand slipped.

After a few times, we decided to head on with the real movement. Facing the mirror, he lifted me up in one swift move and placed me on his shoulder his left hand on my waist to support me.

The others looked at us in awe since none of them could do it yet. We heard round of applause and Donghae carried me down slowly.

“The both of you now have perfect trust in each other. But The position for couple dance is still not settled yet. So continue working hard. The both of you may head home to rest now.” Ms. Shi said before we bid her goodbye and left.

“I think we make a good team.” Donghae said as we walked out of school together.

“Perhaps.” I said while waiting for driver Ahjusshi at the school gate, but I realized it’s still early.

“Why don’t I give you a ride?” He offered and I looked at him, unsure of what I should give him as an answer.

End of Soobin’s POV