Realisation

Different dreams

 

Donghae’s POV

“Stay”

I didn’t know what I was doing. It was like my body was acting on its own. Today she’s was acting really different from usual. It’s like she’s trying to accommodate me more into her life.

I’m really happy today. With all those things she did for me, it really touched me. She put in so much effort to make me happy. When she told me about starting a new, I had really though she was about to leave me, but she said that we’ll never suffer and in the future there’ll only be happy memories.

“Donghae ah, you know I can’t” it was wrong for a guy and girl to stay in a room alone.

“At least till I sleep?” I asked as she moved closer to me and nodded her head.

For the past few weeks, even though I was able to spend time with her, I didn’t know why but I felt really insecure. I felt that she might leave me one day. I couldn’t sleep at night, being so afraid that it’ll be all a dream. Even when I do fall asleep, I would dream of horrible things like Soobin leaving me and how we’ll never meet ever again. I would always jolt awake and having sweat trickling down my forehead.

I had been having insomnia for some time now and the ones for the past few weeks were the worst ones I had.

When I stepped out of the shower, I saw her sitting on the reading chair with the book on her lap and her eyes closed. She must have been really tired. I placed the book on the table and carried her to the bed. She must really have been tired since she was so deep asleep.

From the cupboard I took out a yo (Korean tradition sleeping mat) and a blanket before grabbing a pillow from the bed and settled myself on the floor.

As I lay on the mattress, I suddenly felt my eyelids to be very heavy and in no time, I fell into deep slumber.

This is the first time I got to have a proper sleep after close to 8 years.

The next morning when I woke up, the sun was up and judging from where the sun was, it’s close to 10am. I looked at the bed to find it empty. I guess Soobin must have already went to work. It’s already this late.

I wash up in the bathroom before heading downstairs to greet Mrs. Park and more Shockley, Soobin. She was reading the newspaper while munching on her sandwich.

“Good Morning.” I said and it caught both women’s attention.

“Aigoo, did you have a good sleep?” Mrs. Park came over and I nodded my head before she brought me to the dining table. I looked at Soobin as she smiled and gave me a nod before going back to her newspaper.

“Are you going to work today?” Mrs. Park asked Soobin and she shook her head.

“I have this conference today and after that I’m coming back.” She said.

After breakfast, Soobin and I walked back to our rooms.

“Why did you sleep on the floor yesterday?” She asked.

“I didn’t want to wake you up, so I placed you on the bed and slept on the floor.” I said.

“Did you have a good sleep?” She asked.

“It was my best rest after so many years.” I said and she smiled.

“Next time, wake me up or sleep in my room. You’ll be more comfortable this way.” She said and I nodded my head.

After so many years of waiting, I am finally able to see the true and real side of her. In the past, I know that she has always had a wall around her, protecting herself from everyone else. That way she acts wasn’t her at all.

After coming back to Korea again, the mask she has proved how she wants people to stay away from her and not to get to her heart.

“What are you thinking about?” She asked as I realized I was sitting in my room and she had already changed into her business suit, looking at me with puzzled eyes.

“Just zoning out.” I said and she smiled.

“When I’m done with the conference want to go out for a walk?” she asked as she held my hand tightly.

I nodded my head and she left for her conference.

Seeing her back view walking away just made me feel miserable. It’s not that I need her by my side all the time, but it’s because it seems like she’s leaving for good. Even though that’s not the case this time round.

7 years ago at the airport, seeing her disappear slowly made me really sad. I had really though she wasn’t coming back again.

It was then I realized that I should go home. It’s bad imposing on them again and again. I changed back into my clothes before heading downstairs to find Soobin’s Omma watching television. I bid her farewell and then I realized that she actually felt like another Omma to me.

“I’ll visit you soon.” I said and she smiled while waving me goodbye.

I took a cab to Soobin’s hotel to get my car before heading home.

“You’re home.” I heard Noona’s voice as she strolled into the living room.

Noona was rarely home since Omma and Appa always nags at her and she was busy with work so she mostly stay n the hospital’s hostel. I guess she was back because Appa and Omma are away again and she might be on holiday for some time. She has been saying she wanted to go on leave for a long time.

“I guess you’re back because Appa and Omma are away?” I smiled and she nodded her head.

“I’m on vacation as well. No wonder everyone say being home is the best. I miss the feeling of being home!” She said as she stretched her body.

I plopped down beside Noona on the sofa before she kept staring at me like I had something on my face.

“You look different.” She said as I touched my face.

“Where?” I asked

“You’re happier now. So Soobin accepted you after so long?” She said and I nodded my head. Noona is not a psychiatrist for nothing.

Always when talking to Noona, I wouldn’t hide anything since I wasn’t able to hide anything from her either. Noona knows my every secret. From young, we have always built this kind of relationship because of this, Noona is the only one in the family who knows me inside out.

“Don’t forget to share your marvelous situation with me.” She joked.

“Noona!” I exclaimed as I felt my face heat up. I didn’t know why, but now I felt that I’m no longer standing alone, because now, I know that I’ll have Soobin by my side.

After I went up and take a short rest, my phone rang and it was from Soobin.

‘I’ll go over to your place. – Binnie’

I closed my phone and went back to sleep. I didn’t know why, but I just want to sleep. I was too tired to do anything else.

End of Donghae’s POV

Soobin’s POV

In the morning at the breakfast table, I could tell Donghae was still tired. Even though this morning, I saw him sleeping soundly, but he still didn’t have enough rest.

He kept zoning out so I left him so he can rest. On the way to the conference, I wanted to text him to ask if he’s alright, but if I do, he’ll definitely reply and not get his rest, so I decided to call Omma instead.

Omma said he went home already. I guess he wants to get a better rest at the comfort of his house. After all, how can someone else’s house be compared to your own?

During the conference, my mind kept drifting off, but I was glad no one really noticed. After being together with Donghae, the only disadvantage is that I cannot focus my mind on work anymore. I’ll have the tendency to drift off to him, wondering what he was doing and was he doing well.

As the conference ended, I looked at my watch to find it to be close to 3pm already. Thinking he might still be resting, I texted him instead of calling,. Telling him I’ll go over to his place to meet him. This way, he can rest more.

“Ms. Park, You and younger master Donghae look really good together.” Driver Ahjusshi said as we were on our way to Donghae’s house.

“Thank you Ahjusshi. I’m glad you feel that way. Because I know you are the one who gets exposed to most of the problems we are facing no matter Omma or me. You’ll always be the eye opener and you’re always the one who can see the truth.”

When I got off at Donghae’s house, I told Driver Ahjusshi to head home since Donghae drives. He then bid me goodbye before driving off.

When I rang the door bell, the person who opened the door gave me a really big shock.

“Dr. Lee?” I said as she smiled, inviting me in. I think the look on my face revealed that I was lost about all this.

“I’m Lee Hae-jung, Donghae’s Noona.” She said, extending her hand for a hand shake. I look it and everything was being absorbed into my mind slowly.

“You’re Donghae’s Noona?” I asked again to make sure my ears weren’t playing tricks on me.

“I am.” She smiled before going to get a glass of water for me.

“Donghae is asleep. Let him rest for a little while more?” She said and I nodded me head.

“I’m sorry.” She said all of a sudden, shocking me.

“Why are you apologizing towards me? You haven’t done anything wrong.” I sad.

“I’m sorry for what my dongsaeng did to you. 8 years back when you told me about it, I detested the guy who did that to you. And the irony of it is that it had actually turned out to be my own younger brother.” She chucked bitterly as I placed my hand on hers.

“It’s all in the past. I’ve put it all behind. This is not something which will stop me from being with Donghae, or trusting him. I know that what he did back then was not something he would do. He’s kind and gentle, inside and out.” I said.

“It seems like you really trust my Dongsaeng a lot now. I’m glad to hear that.” She said.

The both of us ended up talking for a few hours, laughing and gossiping. She showed me Donghae’s baby pictures and told me all the trouble he has caused in school and how after the incident of him and me, he totally changed. Even though he’s a good boy from the start, the incident made him study hard and strive to the top.

“I guess the luckiest thing Donghae has is meeting you.” She said.

“I think he suffered more by knowing and meeting me.” I said.

“Oh look at the time. We’d better go wake Donghae up.” Hae Jung said.

When I went into Donghae’s room, it was neat and clean. He was lying on his bed with his back facing us, sleeping in the rays of the setting sun.

“I haven’t seen him have such a good sleep for years.” Hae jung said as she sat on the side of his bed, his hair like a mother.

Donghae shifted and turned his body to face the other side. His breathing was deep and slow. I guess we shouldn’t wake him up since he’s tired.

“Let’s just let him rest. I’ll see him tomorrow. Help me tell him when he wakes up.” I said as Hae Jung and I moved out of his room quietly.

“Donghae looks tough, but on the inside, it may be the soul of a 10 year old child. He’s very very soft hearted, especially when it comes to you.” Hae jung said as she took my hand.

“Please take care of him.” She said and I nodded my head.

Donghae, I need to know more about you. How can you know almost everything about me, but I know almost nothing about you?

End of Soobin’s POV