Midnight Tea

One Girl

 

You were wandering around the dark streets, with nobody by your side. You were lost and alone. You didn’t know where you were or how you got there.

“Excuse me-” You attempted to ask somebody where you were but nobody stopped to help you.

“Excuse me!” You tried again but louder. Nobody looked at you or even noticed you. You grabbed onto a man’s sleeve but he paid no attention to you. It was like he couldn't see, hear, or feel you.

“What is going on?” You turned around, looking for a familiar land mark but everything looked foreign.

You then noticed familiar faces. You began calling out their names but again, it was if they couldn’t hear you. You ran up to them and began tugging on one of boy’s arm, desperately calling out his name, “D.O please help me! Kai! Please! SUHO! Where am I? WHY ARE YOU ALL IGNORING ME?!”

You suddenly woke up, sitting up and taking in as much air as your lungs could hold, wiping the cold sweat off of your forehead.

You began to slow down your breathing as you noticed Chen, Suho and Lay sleeping on their beds.

Thank goodness it was just a dream.

You decided to sneak downstairs to make yourself a cup of tea instead of staying in bed and staring at the ceiling the rest of the night.

Man, that was a crazy dream.

You shook your head, trying to get the thought out of your mind.

Think happy thoughts, Kyung mi!

You began softly humming Angel while pouring the hot water into your cup.

“Dan han beonman ne yeopeseo, Bareul matchwo georeo bogopa han beon, Ttak ham beon manyo~”

You nearly jumped out of your pajama pants as someone interrupted your peaceful humming and began singing the lyrics. You whipped your head around to find D.O. gazing at you.

“Yah! Didn’t your mother ever tell you to not startle people in the middle of the night by singing when they have hot tea in their hands?!”

D.O. laughed and gave you a charming smile, “Uhmm… I don’t exactly recall my mother saying that.”

You rolled your eyes, “Don’t be a smartass.”

“What are you doing down here at this hour, anyway?”

You gave him a suspicious look, “I should be asking you the same question.”

“I believe I asked you first.” He took a step closer to you so his body was inches from yours.

You held your breath, wondering why he was so close, but then he reached around you to grab a cup.

You let your breath out as he gave you a playful smirk.

“Trying to act like Kai now, aren’t you?”

He responded with a small laugh and a shrug as he poured himself some tea as well.

“Couldn’t sleep?” He asked.

You shrugged, “Bad dream. What about you?”

D.O. sighed, “I couldn’t sleep after seeing that evil witch again.”

“Yeah… she was… something.”

“I’m really sorry. People make mistakes… and one of my biggest mistakes had to be dating her. It makes me shudder every time I think about it.”

The two of you made it over to the living room couch. You continued to talk to each other while sipping your drinks.

“What happened with you guys?”

D.O. took a long pause before he spoke, “I met her in high school. She was one of the popular girls and she happened to take a liking to me. What can I say? She was good looking and I was tired of being called ‘gay’ so I went for it. We dated for a couple of months and she became really clingy. Wanting to spend every second with me and know everything I was thinking. She got really angry with me because I’m not the type to open up. I was really distant and she thought that the reason why I broke up with her was because I was cheating on her.”

“What happened then?”

“She wouldn’t let it go. Even though she thought I was cheating, she still called me and met me at my locker. I tried to tell her that it was over but she just wouldn't get the hint.”

“How long was it until she finally left you alone?”

“Well… I think after I moved and changed my phone number was when she really knew I didn’t want to be in the relationship anymore.”

“From what she said to me, I don’t think she’s over you yet.” You mumbled, meaning to say it to yourself.

“Wait… she spoke to you? When?!”

You mentally slapped yourself for saying that out loud.

“I… Uhh… I meant… When she was talking to you at dinner… It just seems like it… Yeah…” You cringed at your stupid excuse.

D.O. raised his eyebrow at you, clearly not believing what you said, but he brushed it off anyway, “Whatever… so, what was your dream about?”

You had a debate with yourself, whether you should tell him or not.

“Well… I was… Well I don’t really know where I was. It was a dark street and I shouted for help but nobody could hear me.”

D.O. nodded his head, “Those kinds of dreams are freaky. Have you ever had a dream where you’re falling?”

You laughed, “Yeah! For some reason I thought I could fly so I jumped off of a building, only to realize afterwards that I couldn’t.”

D.O. laughed harder, “Now you’re beginning to sound like Kris!”

The two of you began chatting for about a half an hour before you decided to go back to bed. D.O. walked you to your bedroom door, “Goodnight, Kyung mi. Don’t jump off any buildings!”

You giggled and nodded, “Goodnight.”