Dresses

Checkmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     A pair of senescent grabbed Yoona around the waist, before a face popped into the mirror, below her outspread arms. The older man looked satisfied, but hardly showed any emotions through his round glasses. Instead, he continued to inspect the seams along her diagonal neckline and the ruched bodice, made of bandages. Her right shoulder was bare and the fluffy skirt of feathers came off the hips and flared out, into a long train with the shape of a drop. 

     Without opening , Yoona met a pair of cynical eyes from the man in the mirror and nodded. The seamster pursed his lips and then asked her to step down from the little stool. Yoona did as she been told, before she turned around and held up the skirt. The curtain slid towards the side with a screech. 

     Mrs Ok looked up from a wedding journal she was reading. Her eyes widen as fell open. The magazine fell of her crossed legs and onto the floor. Silence aded the waiting space for a minute or two. 

     But all of a sudden, a faint sound of weeping filled the room. Yoona looked at the older woman in astonishment, not seeing her reaction coming. Tiny, sheer drops made their way down her cheeks. Even her shoulders trembled as Mrs Ok tried holding back her emotions. Yoona melted a little bit inside and came towards the lady, before she fell to her knees in front of her. 

     "Don't, you'll just ruin the beautiful dress," Mrs Ok sniffled. 

     Yoona lightly shook her head and grabbed the aging pair of hands. They answered her by squeezing back. For a long time, both were quiet. Yoona said nothing, because she didn't know what. Mrs Ok just focused on drying her tears. A moment later, the somewhat cynical tailor rejoined them with pen and writing tablet. Faster than a lightwave, Mrs Ok returned to her usual composed facade. The napkin she had been holding a second earlier was gone. Her moodswing was most impressive. 

     "Here's the bill," the old man said in a rumble. 

     Mrs Ok accepted the paper, which she then looked through with Yoona. A gasp escaped the younger one. She got up on her feet, turning against the sewer. Her cheeks were burning, for some reason. Possibly anger, she wasn't sure.

     "What dress costs that much?"

     Her words triggered a fuming response from the little man.

     "Who need to wear such magnificent art just once?"

     "This gown is for the engagement party in three days between Yoona, my daughter over here, and my son. So let the bill go around the building, if so may."

     The components shifted from Yoona to Mrs Ok, who now had a fierce staring competition with the man. Both were equally stubborn. However, eventually, the winner became her mother-in-law. Probably because the seamster realized he can't afford to lose clients. With passionate curses, he left them alone to discuss. Yoona immediately turned against Mrs Ok, that wrote down her signature onto the count while humming. 

     "Uhm, mother," as she had begged Yoona to call her, "I don't think you need to pay for the dress. Papa will."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter