Meeting

Checkmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Hot water cleaned her shaky, cold hands while steam rose and passed her face. She turned off the faucet and dried off with a small towel. One last check in the mirror. Her green dress with golden floral pattern fit perfectly and emphasized her gracile legs really well. Long, dark chocolate hair fell in waves along her back and down one shoulder. A simple diamond bracelet she received on her birthday from her father was the only accessory she wore. Otherwise, she looked pretty and elegant. She felt ready.

     Not really. 

     With a huge lump of anxiety taking up most of the space in her stomach, Yoona took a deep breath. Then she left the ladies' room. Outside, her family waited. Just as herself, they were nervous, but hid their feelings much better. Somehow, her older sister noticed the reactions in her and gave her a strengthening hug. A smile of appreciation, the first one in a few days, spread her lips slightly. Magically, she felt so much better. The presence of her family gave her the calm she needed to go through a coming battle. Alone had been impossible.

     Together with her family, Yoona entered the elegant restaurant in the richest and most luxurious part of the city. She felt surprised by the choice, since the bill grew very quick by the minute here. Worried about the fact that her father might had to pay, Yoona had brought her own wallet. Just in case.

     But honestly, she expected the guests to pay since they had chosen the spot. If not, protests and complaints would fall like pouring arrows. They were one of the most famous and richest families in the country, perhaps even the continent. How come they couldn't throw a bone for the poor dog once in a while? A tiny sacrifice for them, compared to her own family and their economical state. 

     A tiny woman in a short, dark bob penned down a few notes in the reception. She looked up from the desk when they came towards her. 

     "Welcome. Should I find a table for three?"

     Yoona pressed her lips together. This one must be new, she thought. 

    "No, we're here to meet the Ok family," her father answered. 

    "Oh..."

     The woman sounded astonished, for some weird reason. She then searched through her reservations, before she shook her head. Yoona didn't follow her thinking. She was most definitely a newbie. 

     "May I ask for your name, sir?"

     Yoona wanted to slap her for the rudeness she presented.

     "Im."

     "Ah, right. Come with me, please."

     Her sister gave Yoona a wondering look, before they all followed the receptionist. They were brought up a staircase and through a long, modernly decorated hallway with several closed doors. 4 dark wooden entries to the right and the receptionist opened theirs. Since her father was in front of her, Yoona couldn't see if anyone was in the room. To her disappointment, there was. Three actually. One was a sparsely built man in a dark suit, another a simple dressed woman and finally, their son. He sat in one of the couches, playing games or texting on his phone.

     Yoona fought hard for not to drop. Otherwise, her embarrassment would be complete. She didn't want to admit it, not to anybody, but that young man was gorgeous. Short, coal dark hair round a hard shaped face. Tanned skin and nearly black eyes made him look very manly while his tall, muscular body was perfection. Yoona couldn't stop her fantasy about those wide shoulders and long arms embracing her so lovingly. She definitely wouldn't mind... 

     The only flaw she could see was a pair of protruding ears. But in a way, they were cute. And he wasn't the only man on earth with big ones. So, who cared?

    Okay, honey, get yourself together! This man is your enemy from now on! 

    Yoona mentally slapped herself and came back to reality. It was the truth. He shouldn't be trusted. Otherwise, she could fall very easily. 

    "Mr. Im, welcome," the man in the family said.

    They greeted each other with a bow and then a handshake. The women did the same. Yoona just showed her respect towards his parents and then, shoved out her hand towards their son. She would show him exactly how much she loathed him and their mutual future. Nothing else. For her biological attraction towards his body, she could find ways to work round that. Looking at his serious and uninterested expression, it shouldn't be too hard either. 

     "Yoona," her sister warned in a whisper. 

     "What?"

     The room became awkwardly silent. It was like everybody held their breaths. In a slower pace than usual speed of time, she watched his hand approach her. Closer and closer. A heart beat at the top of , but she didn't know if it belonged to herself, or if she imagined the reaction. Also, Yoona believed she could hear the ticking  hands of the clock above the door. She was so nervous. The handshake of a person reflected their personality and way of life. 

     Eventually, he grabbed onto her hand in a firm, almost hurtful, way. Her mood sank. To the bottom. They shook once and immediately released, like they were poisonous to each other. Everyone continued staying quiet, not really knowing what to say or do. 

    Then, Mr Ok came to the rescue and offered them all to sit down in the facing sofas. One family in one, the other in the opposite. Kind of like enemies meeting for a truce. Yoona took her place between her father and older sister, and the son imitat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter