Chapter Nine

One Moment Is Enough

    Chohee sits in Woohyun’s car not knowing where he’s heading to. With her ankle injured, she is not in the mood to go anywhere.
    “Is there anything bothering you?” Woohyun questions, concernedly.
    “None of your business,” Chohee stares out the window at her side.
    “Aren’t you tire of that phrase by now?”
    “No.”
    Woohyun remains silent. But he decides to keep a note to himself that she always tries to answer him with the shortest answer or more likely in a tone and an answer which sounds like she doesn’t care. She’s annoyed. Not that he wishes she cares for him after the few days they have meet each other.
    
    Woohyun parks the car at the destination where he intended to take her. He finally gives Chohee the attention after parking rather than the road, which he finds her asleep. But just because she’s asleep, doesn’t mean he’s not going to take her. It just made his plan better. He tries his best not to wake her up as he carries her over.

    Chohee can feel the warm aroma around her. The scented candles spread through the room, giving off the most welcoming smell. The room is light with the glistening chandelier, and the fireplace next to the room is warming up the house. She walks into the kitchen and finds the table full of food. Only delicious plates of food. The only dishes that her mom knows how to make. Chohee smiles as she sits down and looks at the food. She is about to reach for the spoon and dig in, but the lights suddenly went off, the flames leave the candle and only the smoke is visible. A wave of the icy wind escapes into the house that was just warm and comfort a second ago. Chohee looks from left to right but there is no answer, only darkness around her. Tears made her eyes glows as she looks like a lost puppy searching for her parents.
    
    Woohyun stills has Chohee in his arms as he’s making his way to the place he just booked. As Woohyun walk further, Chohee starts to moves in her sleep and she wraps her arms around his neck pulling herself closer to him as if she’s afraid. Woohyun stops to check on Chohee; he can tell she must be having a nightmare.
    “Chohee,” he tries to wake her up.
    She shifts for a couple of seconds before opening her eyes. Right away, he sees the tears building up in her eyes. But she blinks them away.
    “Where’s this place?” she looks around, forgetting about what’s she just dreamed about.
    “You’ll know in a bit,” Woohyun sounds worry as he starts to walk.
    Chohee watches as the hall changes, the part where they were at when she opened her eyes was a bit dark but as he moves forward, there’s light. Woohyun turns and uses his back to push the lever to open the door.

    Woohyun turns Chohee back to the outside where they just arrive. Chohee stares in shock at the place. Lights fill the beautiful nature place, making a pathway for people to walk through. Flowers are everywhere. The sound of water can be heard from the little waterfall falling down the little stream.
    Woohyun slowly lets her down onto her two feet as she holds onto him for support. The bright lights remind her of what she saw earlier in her dream and a teardrop escapes from her eye. Woohyun stares at her the whole time he had let her down and is surprise to see her tears.
    “Why are you crying?” Woohyun turns her to face him.
    Chohee closes her eyes and shakes her head. Without saying anything, he pulls her in for a hug. As much as she wants to push him away, she wants him there. He securely wraps his arms around her shoulders and pats her head, constantly.
    
    After a minute he pulls away, and looks into her eyes. She refuses to look at him and looks away.
    “Sorry for making you uncomfortable,” he apologizes.
    “Thanks,” she mumbles.
    “For?” his ears are good enough to catch the softest thing he hears from her.
    “Everything,” she mumbles again, in those few days that they spent together he had done a lot for her.
    Though it isn’t as much as any other couple would do, but it’s enough to brighten up her heart. It has been such a long time that someone would try to make her smile. The warmth that she yearns for, for some reason she feels that it is slowly coming from Woohyun. But to least expect the worst she must, only do her job.

    Woohyun smiles and bents down, “get on.”
    Without hesitating, Chohee gets on his back.
    “We have a long way to go,” he says.
    “This garden is beautiful,” she doubts for a second before engulfing his neck with her arms.
    “Just like you,” he smiles before walking down the lighted path.  
    “Why did you bring me here?” Chohee asks as she secretly enjoys wrapping her arms around his neck.    
    “I always see you so down. Just thought I should lighten you up a bit.”
    “I don’t like places like this,” she coldly says.
    “You said it was beautiful.”
    “I did, but doesn’t mean that I like it. Everyone would say that they like it, but not everyone think the same.”
    “Why don’t you like it then?” Woohyun patiently asks her as he walks down the path.
    With her by his side is, it’s more than he can ask for.
    “I just don’t like it,” she closes her eyes. The environment is just too cozy and happy for her. She has no one to look forward to that will bring her the happiness.
    “You know I can always lend you an ear when you need it.”
    “You don’t need to. I don’t need it.”
    “Just thought I should let you know.”
    Chohee wants to ask him, why is he wasting his time on her? Why is he trusting her? But she just couldn’t pull herself together to ask him. She’s afraid.
    
    Woohyun slowly lets her down in front of the waterfall. Smokes circulate the small stream and around the waterfall, highlighting the warmth of the place.
    “You asked me, why did I bring you here?” Woohyun starts.
    Chohee looks at him uncertainly, didn’t he just answer her?
    “This place has a history that if you wish for something and if the smoke comes out and surround you then your wish will be granted.”
    Chohee is staring at him like she’s expecting him to tell her why he’s telling her that.
    “I would like to give it a try.”
    Whatever he decides to do, it’s nothing that concerns her.
    Woohyun reaches down to grabs Chohee’s hand. When she feels his warm skin against hers, she tries to pull back. But he didn’t let her.
    “Let’s do it together,” he smiles and turn towards the waterfall.
    “This is unexpected, but I truly wish that the girl beside me will be able to share her smiles and worries with someone, just for a moment.”
    Chohee stares at Woohyun with anger in her eyes. She starts to burn as she tighten her hands into a fist. She knows that he’s having a hard time coping with his parents’ death and all the burden on him with the corporation. She’s not death or blind that she can’t see what he’s going through. She has enough hearing rumors and what she sees with her two eyes. Despite his hard life, he’s here trusting a stranger and giving her his best wishes. She doesn’t needs nor wants him to do anything for her. Cause what she’s asking for can be more than what he can give. Listening to him, guilt is eating her alive. He is just making it harder for him and slowly for her. She doesn’t know which route to take anymore.  

    Woohyun looks at her only to find a pair of fierce eyes piercing through him. He isn’t expecting that facial expression from her. The atmosphere gotten deadly the smokes seems to die down. They stare at each other uncomfortably and questionable for a good minute. Chohee blinks when she knows that the tears are about to escape.
    She tugs her hand harshly away and turns her back to him. Woohyun’s heart breaks when she refuses him. He just wants to be there, at least a little for her. Though she bitterly turns away from him, his courage triggers him and let him reacts fast enough. He draws her in, pulling her elbow. He gently plants his lips on hers as he cups her cheeks. He can feel the tears dripping down her cheek onto his hand. The tears that fills his hand, makes him wants to draws out all her pains and put it on him. He presses his lips onto hers harder as if he’s demand her to give all her worries to him.
    Chohee stands like a lost soul with her eyes close. She savors the moment that lighten a heavy rock off her shoulders. She feels the gentleness and sincere that he’s giving her.
    Smokes start to dance around them swirling like it’s the end of the world. More circles them as Woohyun deepen the kiss. There’s nothing that can describe how happy he feels at the moment. He feels as if someone did hear his heart, his soul speaking. That he is granted a chance to be the one.