Chapter Fifteen

One Moment Is Enough


    Woohyun walks straight to Chohee’s room to check on her. The whole time he was gone, his mind still lingered with her peacefully figure. She is still sleeping soundlessly. He smiles not wanting to wake her up and walks into the kitchen only to finds the food he made is gone from his sight. Not even the dishes are visible. Getting up, must have been a pain for her.
    After freshen up himself, he just wants a glance at her before going to bed. At least that’s what he says, a glance. In the end, he ends up approaching the bed and sitting beside her. Woohyun gently caress her cheeks, carefully not to pressure any of her bruise spots.
    “It’s okay if I kiss you right?” he looks at her lovingly.
    He didn’t even know why he even asked for permission when knowing that she’s asleep. He leans down and plants a kiss on her forehead then slowly aiming toward her lips. So slow as if he’s doubting himself. Only an inch away, he restrains himself and pulls back.
    “Good night,” he whispers and pulls back.
    With one last heavy sigh he walks out of the room, turning the lights off as another tear escapes Chohee’s closed eye.

    Woohyun wakes with a warmth that he hasn’t feel for a while. The sun shines through the curtains and lights up his room. Today his room is fills yellow strays of rays warming up his heart. A smile appears on his lips as her peaceful face cross his mind. Thinking of her, he needs to get up and prepare breakfast for her.
    
    Walking into the kitchen, he can smells a pleasant aurora that fills his stomach. It can’t be, can it? He peeks inside seeing the fragile body’s back facing him with her front facing the stove. He smiles walking soundlessly up to her and wraps his arms around her waist. Just the perfect move that makes both of their hearts flutter.  
    “W…woohyun,” Chohee turns her head meeting eyes with an adorable man.
    He tighten his hold and she moves uncomfortably.
    “Good morning,” he whispers as he digs his face to the crook of her neck inhaling her sweet scent.
    
    “I’m…I’m still cooking,” she isn’t sure what to respond nor how to push him away.
    He remains silent but she still stands there stiffen by his warmth.
    “Why are you so still?” he realizes her statue-like figure.
    Her lips are glue together as she stares at the omelet before her, watching it sizzles. Chohee feels the arms around her waist leave and the warmth on her neck disappears, her shoulders relax.
    “Are you scare of me now?” Woohyun whispers to her ear, keeping a safe distance.
    Chohee jumps back thinking he had left.
    Woohyun chuckles, “set the table and I’ll finish this up,” he reaches for the spatula in her hand.
    Chohee leaves dumbfound toward the cabinets the plates and bowls are kept. After setting the table, she watches as Woohyun carefully places the omelets onto the plate and carries it over.  

    “I woke up late didn’t I?” he asks when they both sit.
    “No…I was just up early,” she lowly mumbles.
    Woohyun chuckles again, he hasn’t seen her so shy. Though he does misses the cold face, that always pushes him away. This side of her is just beautiful to his eyes. Chohee silently eats her breakfast and when she doesn’t hear any sound coming from Woohyun she looks up and immediately met eyes with him. In less than a second, she breaks their eye contact.
    With her bright red cheeks she silently finishes her breakfast and Woohyun finishes his.  
    
    Chohee insists she cleans up and pushes Woohyun out. He visits his home office and checks up on what needs to be done. Shuffling through the mess on his desk, he doesn’t realize she appears at the door. She watches as he searches for something. After a few minutes, she decides to break the invisible wall.
    Upon hearing the knock, Woohyun startles and turns toward her sending the papers flying to the ground.
    “Sorry…I didn’t mean to…”
    “It’s alright,” he quickly says and turns to pick up the documents scatter on the floor.
    She can sense some strangeness in him, not too happy. Chohee walks over and helps him. Slowly gathering the papers together, she tries to  avoid touching any of her bruises. Kneeling down is already pressuring her injuries.

    Woohyun grabs the papers from her hand and sets it back onto the desk.
    “Are you looking for anything?” she asks.
    “The contract with Shin’s Corporation,” his brief explanation is clearly understood.
    She stands there staring at him again, not knowing what can she do to help.
    “I’ll go look around the house,” she offers.
    “Wait,” he pressures her arms without realizing so.
    With no sounds she wincing in pain at his touch.
    “Sorry,” he apologizes letting go of her arm right away.
    “It’s alright,” she lightly rubs the spot where Woohyun roughly grabbed.
    “Let’s apply medicine onto your bruises again,” he soften in his voices following with a sigh.
    She didn’t answer him but let him drags her into the living. She sits down as she open the first aid kit and starts working. She doesn’t feel any pain nor did she wants to let any of her emotion out.  
    Chohee focuses on Woohyun’s face, she has never really seen him this strange. But it surprise her that he can still keep calm and not throw a fit when losing something valuable. Woohyun tidies up the places where he sets the dirty cotton swabs. Chohee watches as he disappear, putting away the kits. It’s awkward and she doesn’t want to stay nor does she wants to go home.  

    “You can just do whatever you want…,” Woohyun came back talking and stops when he spies a folder lying on top of the table in between the couches.
    He walks over and sighing in relief, so that must have been what he’s looking for.
    He turns back to her, “though I prefer to take you out and spend the day way you. I have to get business done.”
    “I can help.”
    “I have nothing that…”
    “I can clean your office. It’s a mess.”
    Woohyun laughs, “alright…let’s get to work then.”  

    Chohee keeps herself busy filing all of Woohyun’s important papers while he reads through his contract and revise anything he thinks should be adjust. He sits over at the sofa while she take controls over his desk. She steals glances at him from here and there. The more she sees him work, the guiltier she feels.  
    “Will you hate me after knowing the truth? I know I will hate the sight of seeing you losing everything but ….. I-I can’t stop now.”
    She shakes her head turning back to the halfway tidy up desk. It doesn’t matter, her goal in the beginning doesn’t involve pitying him.

    Woohyun realizes the quiet atmosphere. He doesn’t hear anymore shuffling or cabinets opening. He sets his pen down and sees Chohee’s head resting on the desk. She must have been exhausted. Looking at her, the picture of her lying lifelessly on the ground replays in his mind. Why? Why is she beaten? What is she hiding from him?
    It isn’t the first time he saw her injure nor the first time she acts so strange, telling him there’s nothing. Not the first time she tries to dodge his questions. He stares at her sleeping figures wanting to asks her many questions. Her figures moves and slowly lifts up her head finding Woohyun gazing at her.
    “Is there something that you want?” she asks, constantly blinking.  
    Woohyun shakes his head as Chohee glares at him.
    “Do you want to bake together?” he asks.
    She stares with a blink face, did she hear something awfully wrong? Bake?
    Woohyun smiles nodding while Chohee tries to digest in his suggestion. It can’t be a dream, can it?
    “Oh come on,” Woohyun childishly grabs her wrist and drags her into the kitchen.

    He lets go of her as he pulls out each ingredients. She stands there like she still can’t believe it’s reality.     
    “Come on,” he smiles pulling her over to the set-up table.  
    “You do know how to bake right?”
    She nods.
    “Alright then, I’m going to go preheat the oven while you mixes the ingredients.”
    Woohyun leaves as Chohee opens the already prepared cake mixed and empty the flour onto the bowl.

    Chohee mixes the whip cream as Woohyun pulls the two trays of cupcakes out of the oven.
    “How is it coming?” he sets the already-baked cupcakes next to her.
    Chohee sets lightly touches the tip of the spoon and a sprinkle of whip cream glues on the tip of her finger. She taps it against her tongue letting the taste melts in .
    “It’s good?” Woohyun asks when he sees the smile on her.
    Chohee continues to stir the whip cream as Woohyun takes the cupcakes out of the tray.
    “It might take a while for the cupcakes to cool down.”
    “I’ll just clean up then,” Chohee grabs the trays and a few other used dishes.
    Woohyun watches as she stands at the sink and scrubs.  

    Woohyun slowly twirl the whip cream onto the white cupcake. Chohee watches as he skillfully tops the dessert.
    “You want to try?” Woohyun hands her the cream.
    Chohee shakes her head, “you can just do it.”
    “Why?” Woohyun is a bit curious, does she not want to do it or does she not know how?
    “It won’t compare to yours,” Woohyun starts laughing.
    “Come, I’ll teach you,” Woohyun restrains himself from laughing and pulls her over.  
    “I don’t want to,” she protests but he already traps her in between his arms.
    Her back lightly comes in contact with his chest. Woohyun puts the whip cream dispenser in her hands and gently pressure her hand to bring out the cream onto the cupcake. Chohee half focuses on the way the whip cream swirls down to the cupcake but mostly pay attention to their contact.
    “Why are you smiling?” he asks, focusing on his task.
    Chohee immediately frown, “am not.”
    “I saw it, don’t lie,” he smiles.
    Chohee turns to the side as he turns to his side so they’ll be staring at each other, “no need to hide that smile of yours,” he quickly leans in and brushes his nose against her, “I’m teaching you to put the whip cream onto my face not to stare at me. But if you do want some lesson on how to stare at me we can stop this right now at this moment.”
    Chohee looks away, “let’s finish this.”
    “And then after this?”
    “I’m going home,” Chohee replies causing him to chuckle.
    “What’s so funny?”
    “Nothing,” his smiles.

    Chohee feels the vibrating from her phone. She quickly check the message.
    “Anything wrong?” Woohyun asks.
    “I’ll have to leave now,” Chohee says, drying her hand, “sorry that I’ll have to leave you to clean by yourself.”
    “I’ll take you,” Woohyun says.
    “No need to,” Chohee hesitates ready to get out of his house.
    “I know where you live. If you don’t let me take you then I’ll just follow you,” Woohyun sternly speaks.
    Chohee doesn’t understands why he’s so stubborn. After a minute of him staring at her waiting for her answers, she nods.
    “Where to?”  
    “My house,” she says.
    Woohyun did not questions any further but drives straight to her so-called house. Chohee quickly gets out of the car and runs to the front porch. Woohyun follows behind and stops when she stops. He sees her stiffen back and step aside to see what amazed her.  
    “Who are you?” Woohyun asks, the little boy. The corner of his lips is bruise and stain with blood. Seems like he has been whipped, his clothes are also torn with blood stain.
    “Woohyun, can you leave please?” Chohee voice is barely auditable.  
    Woohyun turns to look at Chohee, who’s the little boy? And why is he wounded like Chohee too?  
    “Leave will you,” Chohee raises her voice.
    “Noona…,” the little boy came running to Chohee, hugging her really tight.
    Chohee kneel down and lightly wraps her arms around him, making sure not to put any pressure on the wounds.
    “Noona…noona…,” the little boys starts to cry with tears falling endlessly.
    Chohee can feel the pain, the same exactly pain and her tears stream down staining her face.  
    Woohyun expressionlessly gazed at the two.
    “Let’s clean you up first, then we’ll talk,” Chohee pulls away from the boy and slowly breathes.  
    The little boys stares at Woohyun with tears remaining in his eyes. Chohee realizes that Woohyun still haven’t left yet, “please leave.”
    “Chohee…let me stay. I can cook for us,” Woohyun lamely made an excuse, scratching the back of his neck.  
    “Noona I’m hungry,” the little boy hiccups.
    Woohyun smiles, “I brought the cupcakes too and let me run to the store to buy some quick ingredients.”
    Woohyun happily drives off as Chohee leads the boy inside.

    “Noona…they hurt appa and eomma.”
    “I know…I know,” Chohee restrains herself from crying again.
    “Noona…but appa and eomma…”
    “It’s alright…Jihoo,” Chohee pulls Jihoo out of the bathtub and dries him.
    Chohee dresses Jihoo with the extra outfits in the house and head into the living ready for Jihoo stories.  
    “Noona…something smells good,” Jihoo says and runs toward the direction the smell is coming from.
    Jihoo stops at the door entering the kitchen.
    “Hi…,” Woohyun awkwardly smiles at the little boy.
    “Are…you my sister’s boyfriend?” Jihoo asks. So they’re siblings?
    Woohyun smiles as Jihoo stares at Woohyun observantly, “you are the guy that my sister is suppose to…”
    “Jihoo,” Chohee calls.
    “Suppose to what?” Woohyun asks.
    Chohee eyes Jihoo, “my sister told me about you.”  
    “About me?” Woohyun looks at Chohee and she stares away, “what does she say?”
    “That you are very handsome,” Jihoo smiles.  
    “Jihoo,” Chohee pulls Jihoo back.
    Woohyun chuckles, “did she tell you anything else?”
    Jihoo turns his head back to Woohyun, “she also said that she likes you.”
    “Jihoo,” Chohee covers his mouth turning him to face her, “what are you saying?”  
    Woohyun smiles, dropping the topic.

    “Food is ready, come and eat,” Woohyun says setting the table.
    Jihoo immediately climbs a chair and starts eating.  
    “Are you joining us?” Woohyun asks Chohee.
    Chohee quietly sits and they eat in silent.
    “Hyung…your food is good. I have not eat something like this good for a long long time.”
    “Jihoo, you’re being too messy,” Chohee stares at Jihoo, eating childishly.
    “It’s alright he’s only…” Woohyun isn’t sure to how old he is.
    “I’m five,” he speaks with his mouthful.
    “Don’t speak when your mouth is full,” Chohee hisses.
    “Sorry noona,” Jihoo looks down and back at eating.

    “I’ll visit when I have time,” Woohyun waves.
    “It’s alright you don’t have to,” Chohee coldly says.
    “Noona…you’re suppose to…,” Jihoo starts but is stop by Chohee.
    “See you next time Jihoo, take care of your sister too.”
    Jihoo nods. Woohyun smiles and leaves.
    Everything is all fake. Suppose to what? I’m handsome, false. Likes me, also false.

    “Jihoo, don’t you dare tell him anything. Got it,” Chohee raises her voice.
    Jihoo nods at the verge of tears.
    “If you don’t want appa and eomma hurt don’t tell him anything okay?”
    Jihoo nods, “understands noona.”
    Chohee sighs, it was so close for everything to have been ruin.