Chapter Twenty Two

One Moment Is Enough

    For the first time ever, Chohee feels like following Woohyun ever since she knotted her life with Woohyun’s. She quietly tags along with him as he returns to the Nam Corporation sitting the in the conference room listening to the evidence the police found about his parents’ accident.
    “We were going to close the case, but three days ago when we received an order to recheck the area before writing the closing statement. Greatly, we had found something that may have stir the case up,” Chohee watches as the speaker pulls out something from his suitcase.
    “We have found this scarlet handkerchief lying at a place nearby where the accident taken place, approximately ten yards away from the car at the time.”
    Woohyun and Mr. Ma examines the redden piece of cloth in the plastic bag, “we had already research to see where this kind of handkerchief is produced.”
    Woohyun blankly looks up, “these are custom made from a branch of business from the Jang Corporation. We’ve called and explained the specific details and happened to receive in advance that the customer is named Seo Suk-Chul. We heard that he works here in the Nam Corporation. If you agree, may we have a talk with Mr. Seo? We want him to answer a few questions.”
    “Sure,” Chohee isn’t sure how to explain his tone of voice, “Mr. Ma please call for Suk-Chul.”
 She isn’t sure whether he is calm, taking everything perfectly or is he about to explode but holding it in? But at the mention of the Jang Corporation, Wooyoung comes into mind. She thinks back to what he offered her in the morning. Can he possible be behind the accident of Woohyun’s parents’ death?
    Mr. Ma excuses himself and returns with some paperwork in his hand placing it on the table in front of Woohyun, “Mr. Nam, Mr. Seo is on vacation for the pass five days.”    
    “Well then, we will be trying to track him down and will be heading over the Jang Corporation to ask Mr. Jang a few questions too.”
    “There’s no need to questions the Jang, please just track down Mr. Seo. I’ll give Mr. Ma all the information I have and he’ll send it over as soon as possible,” Chohee can’t tell what Woohyun means by not questioning the Jang.
    Can he possibly know something or did Wooyoung actually have already revealed something to him? Chohee looks at him, but his face explains nothing to her. Everyone left the room except for Chohee and Woohyun. He sits in his usual spot when everyone was still present. She doesn’t know what to say to him, whether to comfort him or let him be. Comfort? She doesn’t even know where to start. All her life, she only knows how to comfort herself and sometimes Jihoo.
    The news was not unexpected for her, but it was something that she never thought of. Of course, if his parents died on someone’s intended action then for sure Mr. Park should be behind and the so-called Seo Suk-Chul must been a spy for him.
    The chair creaks interrupting her thoughts; she looks up and he is walking towards her.
    “It’s late now, I’ll take you home,” first time he speaks to her in monotone, not that she expects him have affection each time.
    He turns toward the door and she follows, not knowing what to do. She feels like she will just make the situation for him worst. Perhaps, he may already know her purpose. But she’s afraid to ask. What if the answer is yes?
    
    Chohee walks up to her front door step as Woohyun trails along. She isn’t sure why he isn’t going home yet. He has much to think about and many actions to take. He shouldn’t waste time on a person like her. Chohee turns back and he bumps into her.
    “You know…” she starts but stops, doubting of how to words her words so it doesn’t come out wrong, “I…I aren’t you going home?”
    She mentally slaps herself when she finishes talking.     
    Woohyun half-heartedly smile, “take care.”
    “That’s not what I meant,” Woohyun turns back to face her, knowing she’s struggling, “I mean…well…just so you know…um…if…if you do need a shoulders…well…I’m here. Never mind,” Chohee nervously stuttered her way through.
    She feels so embarrass and aims towards inside. He is faster and pulls her in for a hug wrapping his arms around her with his chin resting on her shoulder.
    “Thanks,” he breathes, “I just don’t know whether I should feel happy that we may have found the murderer of my parents or I should be angry at the thought that my parents were murder?”
    Chohee remains quiet, but thinking to herself that she would be angry and happy at the same time.
    She is about to tap him to check if he fell asleep on her, “I’ll leave now.”
    “Let me cook you something first,” she offers knowing that he hasn’t eaten the whole day because he was too busy hanging around her door.
    As he pulls away, she can she that his face has turn paler than last time she seen him. He must have been working nonstop these few days. Woohyun’s lips crook a smile.
    “Come,” she grabs onto his hand.
    He is stunned and can’t stop staring at her sudden contact. She immediately retrieves.
    “Let me get my work from the car first.”
    “You need to rest; you can work later. I promise I will help you the whole day tomorrow if I’m holding you back from too much work,” she drags him inside again without thinking.
    She just doesn’t want him to continue working in his condition. He needs some rest to. She figures since she came into his life, it has gotten pretty chaotic.
    “Relax while I cook. It shouldn’t be long,” Chohee pushes Woohyun down on the couch and leaves to the kitchen.

    Chohee smiles when her tray of food is completed. She picks up the tray, heads to the living room, and spies him lying on the couch. She sets the tray down and notices that he must have fallen asleep. She lightly taps his shoulders to wake him up. His eyes flies open when her finger first lays on him.
    “Sorry, I thought you were asleep,” she jumps back a bit.
    “Just tired, so I closed my eyes but couldn’t fall asleep,” he sits up.
    “Here,” Chohee slides the tray of food closer to him.
    “Where’s yours?”
    “I’m not hungry,” she admits.
    “Well then, I’m not sharing because I’m hungry,” he picks up the bowl of food.
    She didn’t answer but just sit quietly watching him eat.

    “I probably won’t be able to visit you in the next few days so take good care of yourself. I’ll leave now,” Woohyun waves and heads to his car.
 Chohee doesn’t know why but a sudden disappointment sweeps over her when he mentions not visiting. But it’s not like she needs him to anyways. She has been living for the passed years without any visit.
    
    That same night she receive another message…plan changed, prolong the marriage.
    
    Woohyun did not get much sleep before he is called back to the police station for further found information.
    He enters the lightless building. The building that his parents work tirelessly to build. His mind is constantly replaying the sudden news he heard, “he probably had found out beforehand and left the country. We checked and found that he had bought an one way plane ticket to Europe.”
    Woohyun leans back in his office chair, sighing that now it would be even harder to catch the criminal.   

    It is close to five thirty in the morning, the sun is still fighting its way above to the cloudy sky. He can hear the building starting to come alive as the employees start to fumble their way to their place. He expressionlessly stares at the blank space on his desk and unexpectedly a Styrofoam cup is place in front of him. He traces the hand that is attached to the cup.
    He blinks twice before realizing the brighten smile on the girl, “what are you doing here?”
    “I passed by earlier and saw your car outside so I just thought I should drop by so I got something for you.”
    “Thanks, you may leave now,” Woohyun leans back to his chair and closes his eyes.
    She pouts walking behind his chair, sets her hands onto his shoulders, and starts to massage him.
    “What are you doing?” he jumps off from his chair letting the chair slides away by itself.
    “Trying to ease your pain,” she innocently speaks.
    “Please get out.”
    “But.”
    “Please, Chorong. I want to…” she flies to his side wrapping her arms around his waist.
    She tightens her hold as she presses her checks onto his chest.
    “Please don’t push me away. I have tried many…so many times to become someone you’ll like, but you keep pushing me away. Please don’t,” she inhales his alluring scent.
    Woohyun pauses for seconds before setting his hands on her shoulders pushing her back. She shakes her head removing her arms, wrapping it around his neck.
    “I don’t want to go yet, just for a moment please,” she breathes onto him.
    His touch on her softens letting her be. A smile creeps to her face, never once did he let her stay by his side. She just doesn’t know what to feel exactly.
    “Chorong?” he gently distances them.
    “Sorry,” she mumbles looking down.
    “Go on home,” he says ready for her to departure.
    Her head still hangs low. In a flash, she tiptoes and plants a kiss on his cheek releasing him right after.
    “Thanks…I hope you’ll enjoy the coffee I brought. Drink it before it’s cold,” she smiles.
    Woohyun nods as he hears a knock on the door, “come in.”
    Mr. Ma enters staring at the girl in front of Woohyun, “did you call for Chohee?”
    Chorong’s face is painted with disappoinment didn’t think the name she hates the most will appear so soon.
    “No, why?”
    “I just saw her at the door earlier, but she immediately left when I asked her why is she at the door,” Mr. Ma explanation brings a stray of rainbow across Chorong when Woohyun’s face is sweeps with surprise and confusement.
    Woohyun knows he has some clarification to do and runs out the door.