Spectra by leahsarahdelossantos

I WANT TO READ!! SEND ME UR STORY!! I'LL GIVE FEEDBACK-2!!

DISCLAIMER:

I AM NOT A CRITIC, I AM JUST A NORMAL READER WHO WILL HELP YOU WITH HOW A READER LIKES YOUR STORY

Reviewed By panda_and_llama

Poster: I think it's a picture rather than a poster. But it's okay :)

Title:

This title caught my attention because it was spaced out and capitalised and also because I had no idea what the word actually meant (LOL at my fail vocabulary). These are all the wrong reasons for a title to be eye catching. As I went on to read the story and googled the definition of the word spectra, I found little to no relation between the text and the title. I think you could definitely work on a better title for this fic as I felt like the only reason you chose it was for the story to sound mysterious. And yes I know you’ll explain it at the end of your story but I’m not sure if that’s a good marketing technique.


Foreword/ General Presentation:

I liked it enough, it did its job but I did feel like the first quote was completely unnecessary and the following sentences were enough to hook me onto the story. You did use lots of colours and fonts but thankfully, it wasn’t hard on the eyes. I liked the chapter banners you had, they were really well done and suited the theme of the story. The presentation of this story was good, I have nothing to complain about. There were a few minor grammatical mistakes but I could barely even tell so there’s no need to worry about that.
Plotline: Genderbender fics make me uncomfortable in general BUT I did my best to push that to the back of my mind and write an objective review. Yul as a guy in that poster sold it for me, she looked really good! After reading the first three chapters there were already quite a few melodramatic, K-drama type things already: president’s daughters, the kingka, a cold ice princess who doesn’t give a and fan girls. However, I was ready to keep an open mind due to the warning you put in your foreword. Then Yul became a manager of a company (which may I point out is literally impossible if you understand the hierarchy of the corporate world) and I was seriously getting a case of cliché sickness but then again, I held on with faith due to the foreword. 


Grammar:

I noticed sometimes you don’t capitalise your sentences and you also use my biggest AFF pet peeve which the tilde symbol. (~) It’s a mathematical symbol to represent approximation and completely bypasses the rule of “show not tell”. If you want to use to tilde symbol to show cuteness, cheerfulness or simply some flourish that could easily be done by adding in some descriptive words. Sometimes, words are not spaced correctly and ate misspelled which puts me under the assumption that you write each chapter on AFF. In the future, I suggest writing your chapters in word or some other similar program to minimise mistakes. 


Pace: 

I felt the pace of your story was slow because up to chapter seven I didn’t learnt that much about each character and they were still within a school setting. I suggest hurrying it up a bit because I was for sure, super eager to see some real action take place. 

 

Characterisation:

You seem to want to make the characters all interesting when I felt more effort could have gone into the originality of the plotline. Yuri isn’t your typical kingka, Jessica isn’t your typical ice princess, Sunny isn’t your typical energy pill, etc. However, I’ve read half your story and the characters are still not explained in depth and I feel no empathy for any of them. Your writing is decent but somehow, your characters are just not engaging. Making them unique doesn’t necessarily make them interesting, we need to understand their motives for them to be 4 dimensional beings

 

Overall enjoyment:

I enjoyed your story enough and the gender bending was surprisingly comfortable to read so good job on that. I would have subscribed if your story had been more engaging but I'm still interested to see where it goes :)

 

So here it is~

A Yulsic .romantic comedy

S P E C T R A 

by 

leahsarahdelossantos