Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu.

Baby, I'm a Monster

"If not a cop, then I would've become a shrink. Just trust me; I know what I'm doing."

 


 

 

"You were ually molested as a child."

It wasn't a question, nor an assumption. Daehyun didn't even bother to ease it in casually into conversation, nor did he take the initiative to insinuate it; his blatant remark was snide, arrogant, and straight-forward. He was stoic, even after seeing Yonghee cringe at his sudden declaration. "Was that it?" he inquired blandly. "DId you kill all those men to keep them from touching you? Did you think your father would summon his own soul into those bodies to get another piece at you? Or was it because -- Why would you do that?" Daehyun breathed, his voice faltering with incredulity. "Those men did not deserve to die --"

Yonghee scoffed with disbelief, crossing her arms blankly as she glanced up at him through her long eyelashes; she fluttered her feline-like eyes, batting them deviously; underneath her cool exterior, Yonghee restrained herself from kicking Daehyun in the shin, and glued herself to her seat. She stared up at him defiantly, her gaze flustering with a dogmatic hatred toward the prosecutor before her. "Biased, aren't we? Don't get so fussy over this, Prosecutor," she whispered vehemently. "There's several more shockers to come; if you're astounded now, just wait till my finale."

"What are you...?"

Yonghee rose coolly from her seat, stripping Daehyun's blazer off of her shoulders. She tossed it to him nonchalantly, refusing to glance at the goosebumps pertruding from her skin. The air conditioner was on full blast, pouring in chilly winds from the vents, but Yonghee stood still, refraining herself from shivering. "Your 48 hours are up," she whispered in reply. Her eyebrows rose with earnest amusement as Daehyun's jaw dropped agape. Yongguk entered the room silently, shoving a file of paperwork into Yonghee's hands, shifting his gaze away from hers. He his lips impatiently. "Fill it out before you leave."
"What does it say?" she questioned innocently.
"That if we find evidence to use against you, you have to come with us, no matter what; that you have no right to protest against evidence," Yongguk muttered, glaring at the wall behind Yonghee.

"Won't you look at me?" she growled scornfully. Yonghee kept her eyes locked at the space between her brother's eyes, glowering fiercely as if he would suddenly recoil under her harsh glare.
"I'm hungry," Yongguk stated plainly with a shrug of his burly shoulders. "I plan on eating tonight; if I look at you, I just might lose my appetite."
"Yah --"

"Are you done signing? Get out."

Yonghee twisted the front of Yongguk's shirt, only to be pushed back. Daehyun immediately stopped Yonghee, holding her squirming body as she thrashed helplessly in his firm grip. Daehyun ushered Yongguk out harshly before holding Yonghee out at arm's length. He stared into her eyes, searching furiously. "Before you leave," Daehyun whispered frantically. "Tell me: what finale?"
Yonghee blinked back her flabberghasted tears, inwardly cursing her brother for his carelessness. But she kept her stoic expression, refusing to show her vulnerability to this man. Daehyun's eyes waltzed with hers, scanning her irises for any sign of emotion -- none. He detected none. No emotion surfaced, no body language to provide him with any further observation.

Yonghee was still, cold-hearted, and a blood- sociopath -- so he deducted.

"What's the point of a finale?" she whispered bemusedly. "You wait for it.. it's supposed to be only for me to know.. and for my audience to find out."
"One more thing: do you live with your brother?"
"We reside in the same house, yes," she replied, unblinking. "But we don't acknowledge one another.. unless absolutely necessary."
"For instance?" Daehyun's breathy voice was rasp as he soaked in the sudden information Yonghee was feeding him.

"Tell me, Prosecutor Jung Daehyun -- how else do you think Yongguk always knows the time and place of the crime scene.. without it being reported to him first by a caller or a fellow subordinate? Do you want a hint for the finale?" she whispered suddenly, her voice breaking off into a mysterious tone. "Hapjeong-dong.. Mapo-gu."

Daehyun narrowed his eyes suspiciously; he processed the neighborhood and district name with an austere nagging feeling piling into his internal system. "Mapo-gu... wae --"

Yonghee smirked, interjecting rudely, with one, loud, clear, "One."

She grabbed her respective belongings from the box on the table and cast one last look to Daehyun, mimicking a mocking bow of her head. "Till we meet again, Jung Daehyun-shii."

 

"Sunbaenim.. is there anything significant about Hapjeong-dong?" Daehyun questioned, narrowing his eyes on Yongguk. The elder shook his head obliviously, shrugging as his lips jutted out into a confused pout.
"Ani.. wae?"
Daehyun shook his head, "Just wondering."

 

 

Yonghee shuffled home, smiling warmly at her affable neighbors; they were oblivious and caring toward her -- just how she liked it. She practically danced home, grinning each time she saw the street signs or the directories scattered across the neighboring areas for tourists. She stuck her hand into her clutch bag, the pocket knife she always carried around. "Just wait till my finale, Prosecutor oppa... I.. I'll show you."

 

 

"How could you just let her go?!"

Yongguk threw down Yonghee's file onto his dean's desk, fuming silently. "We had.. we had her..."
"But you had no evidence."
"While she was in custody, the murders stopped in correspondance to her being held here!" Yongguk argued. "Isn't that substantial enough to be used in court?!"
"Do you want to be laughed at by the jury!?" his dean exclaimed angrily. "Stop being careless, Bang Yongguk -- even siding against your own sister? Who's the real monster here?!"
"It's still Bang Yonghee; she's a murderer, I know it!" Yongguk growled, slamming his fists down against the hardwood surface of the table. The desk rumbled under his ferocious touch, some pencils rolling off the table and clattering against the matted carpets fo the office room.
"And how do you know!? Do you associate in these acts with her?!"

Bingo.

Yongguk remained silent, cursing his carelessness angrily. "Ani," he muttered, lying partially. He lied through his teeth, ignoring his dean's profuse glare. Awkwardly, he shifted his weight from one foot to another, scornfully reprimanding his entire team for being unable to find solid evidence to use against Yonghee. "Forget it," Yongguk spoke suddenly. "The stupid team can't even find evidence.. you call them investigators?" He scoffed. "I'll go find evidence myself... and I'm taking Rookie with me."
"Bang. Yongguk!"

"If you have a problem, I'll be sure to turn in my resignation letter," Yongguk smirked, bluffing professionally. "And we all know.. if I leave, your department would be useless... don't forget who gives you all those counts for criminal-catching.. If you lose me, you lose counts and you lose face a result... Now.. I'll be going with Jung Daehyun to investigate. Jal ga."

 

 

"Sunbaenim," Daehyun remarked suddenly. "What does it mean when Yonghee states a place and number together?"

Yongguk froze and averted his dark eyes over to Daehyun. "Why?"
Daehyun shrugged.
"Did she say something to you?" Yongguk demanded in a hard tone.
Daehyun shrugged once again, shifting his uncomfortable gaze out the window of Yongguk's car. "Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu," Daehyun recited quietly. "One."
"Is that... is that why you were asking -- Yah, Jung Daehyun, are you crazy!?" Yongguk growled, pounding the still steering wheel.
"Wae?"

Daehyun's jaw dropped as Yongguk thrashed vehemently in his seat. The elder fumed, grunting as he dug his long fingernails into the leather covering of the wheel. "Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu?" Yongguk repeated through a set of gritted teeth. "Did you know.. that's my neighborhood?" Yongguk seethed. "And one?"

"What does it mean?"

Fear and apprehension immediately overtook Daehyun's expression, waltzing onto his handsome features and clouding his pallor with an even whiter blanket of condensed worry. "It means that one person tonight, will be dying in the neighborhood of Hapjeong-dong," Yongguk informed bitterly. "Did I not tell you to report anything weird she says?! I told you how she was! You should've known better! Now another innocent person is going to die!"
"I asked you if --"
"Asking if it's significant is different! Don't you know how to be direct?!"

Yongguk and Daehyun shared a defiant glance at one another before both huffed with intolerance directed toward each opposing party. "One... could mean she might attempt suicide."
"You think that's good!?" Yongguk sneered.
"You're so set on stopping these cases! Wouldn't it be good if she died so they could stop!?"
"Having her die and leaving the case 'open' is different than bringing her to justice and solving the case, !"

"Why am I suddenly a ?! Aren't you the for not hurrying your over to Hapejong-dong to stop her from whatever she's doing!?" Daehyun exclaimed; he bit his lip tightly, pursing his lips as he cowered underneath Yongguk's glare. Yongguk held up a warning finger to Daehyun, wagging it in a threatening manner.

"You," Yongguk whispered in a low, husky voice, "you're going to get it as soon as I finish with whatever I need to take care of. Put on your seatbelt; we're going."

"To where?! You're not even lucid enough to drive --"
"And who caused me to become so infuriated?" Yongguk retorted calmly all of a sudden. His muscles relaxed as he took a deep, long breath, pressing down on the acceleration at a normal pace. "You're something, know that, Rookie? Yelling at your sunbae, hiding info from your sunbae, and calling your sunbae a ? Wow... you really are asking to be hit."
"Mian --"
"Shut up. Just ride quietly."

"Where are we going?" Daehyun inquired stubbornly.

"Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu."

 

 

Yonghee tied up her hair, pulling on her black leather gloves. She turned to look into the mirror, swiping off a red coloured lipstick onto her lips, plastering a bright red colour to the folds; she twirled her curled hair around as she released the tie around her black locks; carefully, she did her eyes and her eyelashes, humming an eerie lullaby to herself. She blew at her nails one final time before slipping her robe off, draping herself carefully into a silky, black evening gown.

The dress reached down to her ankles, flowing across the red carpets of her bedroom; so elegantly did she walk out of her respective room. She held a gravious posture, strutting to the living room of her run-down house, and set herself patiently onto the couch. In her hand, in the strap tied to her thighs and ankles, and hidden in her hair, various needles and knives were stored away. 

"And now, we wait," she whispered, throwing her small head back onto the headboard of the sofa. She propped her feet up onto the throw pillow at the other end of the sofa and stretched limply, "for our grand finale... Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu. One... Prosecutor oppa... it's your turn, now."