Learning.

Baby, I'm a Monster

"...it just seems like I've taken an interest in you, Miss Bang Yonghee."

 


 

Daehyun's eyes glistened with a mischevious glint as he examined Yonghee's flushing features. She bowed her head from embarassment, clearing to brush off her pink blush. Yonghee stole a glimpse at the watchful Daehyun, peeking from behind her long eyelashes before averting her meek gaze back to her fingers. "So," Daehyun voiced suddenly, "did you still want to follow through with my dean's request?" There was a long moment of silence, much due to Yonghee's shyness, and Daehyun's anticipation; Daehyun then continued, figuring he wasn't going to receive a reply. "Whatever you decide to do," he furthered, "I'll do what I can to support you. You're my client, as well as my sunbae's sister -- I'll do what I can to help you recover the fastest."
"What do you suggest?" Yonghee questioned earnestly.
"I suggest you sleep; take time off and spend time to yourself for resting. You're not fully recovered," Daehyun explained sincerely, leaning casually across the table. He folded his hands neatly, seething as he searched his intelligent mind for a coherent explanation. "If you follow through with what my boss is asking you to do," Daehyun resumed, "you could end up being traumatized --"
"Is it really that bad?" Yonghee's eyes were wide, with a penetrating fear; her look of bewilderment was so profuse, so apprehensive, it struck a sympathetic nerve inside of Daehyun. Guilt followed, as he nodded. He shifted his woeful eyes away so he could avoid Yonghee's gaping features. hung open slightly, jaw clenched with adamant bitterness; her eyes were clouded with a dark veil of regret and remorse.

"I'm a monster," she concluded in a hushed breath after a long period of tense silence. "How could I let myself do that --"

"Don't speak like that anymore," Daehyun interjected, his silky tone coarsed with a gruff objection. "None of this is your fault, okay? Just trust me.. I'm here to help you," Daehyun whispered kindly. "Have some faith in me."

 

 

"You're not supposed to get attached to the victim!"

Daehyun winced, grimacing in response to the fuming elder's vehement lecture. The graying-haired man stood before Daehyun angrily, undermining Daehyun's small frame beneath his glowering eyes. The elder of the two had his hands on his hips, feet spread shoulder-width apart as if readying himself to launch at the younger. However, Daehyun stood his ground, gaze lowered respectively, and head bowed with apology. "But I'm not attached," he whispered defiantly. "It's Yongguk sunbaenim that's attached -- that's why you assigned me to do this!" Daehyun, then, snapped his eyes back up to blink rebelliously at his dean.

The latter reacted roughly, grunting with a grotesque objection. "Then why are you so persistent for a different route to confirm her dis.. her dis... disassoc... her problem?" The elder blubbered, rambling stupidly as he shrinked back from Daehyun's strong, powerful glare. Daehyun's knuckles wrapped themselves into tight fists, crumbling the papers in his hands with loud crinkles. The younger narrowed his eyes impatiently, seething angrily at the ground. 
"You don't understand," Daehyun whispered harshly. "You graduated with a Criminal Justice degree, not a Psychology degree," Daehyun remarked wistfully. "I have a Doctorate in Psychology, as well as Sociology, in contrast to you, who only has a Bachelor's in Law and a Doctorate in Crim Justice," Daehyun snapped. "Even though you are a sunbae, and I'm just another rookie, don't go around thinking you know more than I do when it comes to subjects such as this -- I am far more experienced than you ever will be in this area of jurisdiction. Seonsaengnim," Daehyun growled, "I probably can deduct more about your brain than you can."
"You ! --"
"Just please," Daehyun interjected desperately. "Bang Yonghee was put under my wing; you have to have faith in me. You have to trust me when I say she's not ready to view those photos. It may have been her who committed those murders physically, but I have a substantial amount of evidence to prove that it wasn't her mentally. Please," Daehyun pleaded, "let me handle this the correct way --"

"Jung. Daehyun! I will fire you --"
"You can do that after! Then after you fire me, I'll go to a different police department that would be MORE than happy to oblige to my suggestions; I'll do that, whatever you want!" Daehyun promised persistently. A look of frightful determination detered into his eyes as he stared down his boss. "Just please let me take care of Yonghee."
"And you're not attached?" the elder scoffed incredulously.
"It'd be almost impossible not to become attached; as a human being, it's natural to become emotionally, as well as physically and mentally, attached to all our firsts," Daehyun informed matter-of-factly. "As this is my first case, my first victim, and my first job, of coursd I'd be attached, but you can trust me when I saw that it won't hinder in my way of solving this case once and for all."

"The people are hard to convince," the dean argued relentlessly.
"And that's my job to convince them."
"They'll never believe your theory --"
"Not unless I show them substantial evidence -- which I have."

"Jung Daehyun, you will be the death of me."

Daehyun smiled timidly, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "Does that mean I have your approval?"

 

 

"What are we doing here?"

Yongguk grinned brightly, wrapping a tight arm around his sister. "Daehyunnie told me that it'd be best to re-establish some of your memories," the elder explained radiantly. "So we're here.. this used to be your favorite park," Yongguk explained excitedly. "After school everday, we would come here and grab some Melona ice cream before we go play... I used to push you on the swings, too," Yongguk sighed. "You went really high."
"Really?" Yonghee's glimmering eyes brushed over the antique park, abandoned and left for nothing. The swingsets were rusty, decaying alongside the broken and torn down slides. "Doesn't look like much to remember," she joked.
Yongguk nodded fervently. "They started a project five years ago in attempt to reinnovate the place," he responded frankly, "guess they never go to it."

Yonghee nodded slowly, enveloping Yongguk's fingers with her small hand. "Oppa... what was I like before I was diagnosed with my disorder?" Her voice was just above a whisper, almost inaudible; there was a hint of disappointment, and maybe even shame. But Yongguk knew for sure, her words were laced, and utmostly drenched, with a profound bitterness and resentment toward herself.

"You were -- and still are -- the best little sister anyone could ever ask for," Yongguk whispered sincerely. He tightened his grip around her petite hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze before sitting her down carefully onto a bench near a group of oak trees. "Don't be so hard on yourself," Yongguk told her warmly, "it couldn't have been helped --"
"I killed them --"
"You didn't," Yongguk whispered, gritting his teeth. "It wasn't you, okay?"

After a long moment of silence, Yongguk let out a long series of deep exhales. "Listen," he muttered, "for the next few days, I'm gonna have to be in Incheon for a new case I was appointed to. I'm trusting you to Daehyunnie, so whatever he says, just listen, okay? Be good; don't forget to rest a lot and eat whatever Daehyunnie gives you, whether medicine or rice bowls. Just listen well to him -- the kid knows what he's doing."
Yonghee nodded obediently, resting her head softly onto Yongguk's thick shoulder. "Daehyun-Prosecutor-shii is really kind," she mumbled gently. Yongguk nodded, his black hair brushing against her forehead. "I know," he tittered in agreement, beaming proudly.

"So promise me you'll be good to him?"

"Ne, oppa."

 

"We're going to have to cleanse this memory of yours," Daehyun explained, sitting Yonghee down at a small booth in the corner of the cafe. "It'll take a lot of work, but I was thinking I could start off with academics; those would be the easiest. See where you left off, and we can pick up from there. If we want to contain your other personality, we have to do what we can to restore your true memories, araseo?"

Daehyun flashes her a kind, assuring smile before handing her a simple mathematics workbook. "It's easy, I know, but it's just to refresh your mind, so don't think I believe you're stupid or anything," Daehyun joked playfully.
Yonghee smiled in reply, nodding happily. "Gomahwoh," she chirped enthusiastically. Daehyun crinkled up his eyes into a radiant beam, nodding as he taught her the simply formulas and equations, watching her as he sipped nonchalantly on his tea.

It wasn't until she looked up at him with creased eyebrows, when he was startled back into reality. "Ne?" He rose a probing brow, questioning her worriedly with his glistening irises. However, she shook her head, setting down her pencil, earning herself another baffled look. 
"Besides math, and English, and Korean history," she spoke gently, "what else will you be teaching me, Prosecutor-shii? You're really smart, right? So you can teach me anything... right?"
Daehyun pursed his lips thoughtfully, jutting his chin out as he pondered carefully through his lesson plans. "Depends.. I guess," he returned with a curt nod. "What do you want to learn? Is there anything particular you want to learn to do?"
Yonghee let out a long breath through her nostrils, before in a cold hiss. She, then, flushed a bright red colour, drawing herself yet another arched eyebrow. She fiddled with her fingers nervously, before shying her gaze away from Daehyun's handsome eyes.

"W-well," she stammered, blubbering relentlessly. "There might b-be one thing..."

The male before her nodded quickly, oblivious to her sudden change in mood. "Alright, what is it then?" he inquired casually.
"I used to read it in books all the time!" Yonghee cried a bit too loudly. She covered timidly, blushing as she realized the volume of her boisterous tone. She cleared . "I've always thought about it; I never forgot about it either, and I don't think I ever will." Her voice had dropped an octave lower, into a more embarassed, bashful voice.

Daehyun chuckled awkwardly, his lips as he continued to stare at her with his prodding orbs. "What is it, Yonghee-shii? What is it you want to learn to do?"

She squeaked, ducking her reddened face behind her dark locks of curly hair; she, though, managed to whimper out a quick, chirpy:

"Love."