Casual Favor

Baby, I'm a Monster

"Love."

 


 

Daehyun spluttered, choking on his coffee slightly. His eyes widened incredulously, examining Yonghee as she ducked her head away to avoid his penetrating eyes. Her expression was frazzled, bewildered beyond compare; it could almost be as bad as Daehyun's faltering expression. He cleared his throat, pretending as if he hadn't heard properly, his lips slowly. "Sorry?" he whimpered timidly, voice cracking due to the nervousness building up inside of him. Yonghee laughed loudly, uncomfortably as she waved and flailed her hands about before her. She shook her head in unison with her hands, forcing a series of astute giggles. "N-nothing!" she squeaked. "Nothing, reallly; I didn't say anything, please act as if you didn't hear anything, Prosecutor-shii!"

Daehyun felt his walls around his heart crumble at the sight of her flustered stature; he leaned back amiably into the booth, looking out the window they were seated by. "Love?" he echoed in a low voice. He mused quietly under his breath, nodding as if he were trying to comprehend her simple reply. "Love.. Yonghee-shii, you've never loved before?" he inquired kindly. He smiled warmly, "And it's Daehyun, not Prosecutor."
"N-ne, Pro.. D-daehyun-shii," she whispered, nodding fervently. Her tongue darted out to her dry lips quickly; a blush cascaded over her pale cheekbones, staining her porcelain features with a dark red veil. "It's not that I haven't experienced love," she elucidated. "It's just.. the only love I've experienced is the one for Yonggukkie-oppa, and.. that's not the love I've read about..." Her voice trailed off shyly as she continued to bury the bottom half of her face into the wool scarf hanging around her small neck.
Daehyun nodded understandingly. "Well," he whistled briskly. "I can't guarantee you positive results."
"A-aniya," Yonghee giggled briefly. "It's okay, you don't have to.. I wasn't thinking when I said that; mianhe."

Daehyun cocked his head at the younger, eyesbrows raising with amusement. A small smile traced his thin lips as she continued to blush and shy away from his burning gaze. Daehyun chuckled sweetly, his euphonious voice echoing about through Yonghee's sensitive ears. "What have you read about love, that made you want to experience it so badly?" he catechized curiously.
She shrugged merely. "I just wanted to... to experience the butterflies. People say you can't think; your knees grow weak; you feel your stomach turning; you're blushing all the time. When you're in love, all you think about is the person you hold feelings for," Yonghee hummed bemusedly. "They say you check your phone every minute just because you want to see if they've called or if they've texted; and when you're in love you sleep early so the next day can come, so you can see your lover again," Yonghee smiled. A dreamy look masked her soft visage, clouding her dark eyes with a look of abnormal adulation. "I just want to feel that, too, since in the novels, it always seems to great," she whispered.

A childish smile played around the corner of her red lips, bringing Daehyun to smile himself. "I don't necessarily agree," he stated frankly. 
"Uh?" A puzzled look crossed Yonghee's features immediately. "Daehyun-shii, you've been in love? It's not like how it's described in the books?"

Daehyun leaned in closer, his coffee cup with his slender fingers, tracing the warm ceramic tenderly. "I have been in love," he confirmed. "The butterflies are correct; I got those all the time, as well as the churning stomach and blushes. I used to think about her all the time, too," he reported softly. "But what's wrong about what you're reading is.. when you're in love, Yonghee-shii.. you don't check your phone to see if they're calling -- you'd rather hear their voice and see them in person," Daehyun whispered heartily. "And you can't even sleep at night, rather than trying to sleep early -- with your lover constantly on your mind, you won't be able to sleep at all, trust me."

Yonghee let out a soft breath, lightly nodding as she soaked in the novel information. "Wow, you know a lot," she giggled girlishly. Daehyun rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, grunting to ensure his dignity. "It's.. it's nothing, really," he claimed, clearing his throat assuringly. 

"You're already helping me alot," Yonghee stated plainly, "so I don't expect you to help me with this too.."

Daehyun shook his head, earning himself a curious pair of eyes.

"I'll help you," he declared amiably. "I'm already interested in you, aren't I?" he whispered surreptitiously. "Whatever it is you're looking to get out of this, I'll help you. On one condition."
"What's that?"
"Yongguk sunbaenim should not know about this."

 

 

"So what have you been doing with my sister lately?"

Daehyun looked up from his paperwork, eyes large and blinking. Taken aback by the question, the younger just sat there, blinking dumbly up at Yongguk, who glowered down at Daehyun for an answer. "Yah.. Daehyunnie," Yongguk chorused with his deep voice, "yah.. did you hear me?"
"O-oh," Daehyun stammered briefly. "So far, I've gone through simple maths and Korean history; we're working on English grammar and literature, too," Daehyun reported smoothly. "Soon, I'm going to try to expedite our learning process to keep up our good work."
"So there's no sign of the other her coming out?" Yongguk questioned frankly.

Daehyun shook his head, smiling lightly. "Not as of current," Daehyun tittered, "but no worries; as long as she's under my wing, she'll be taken care of well."
Yongguk nodded gratefully, patting the younger's shoulder gently. "But," Daehyun voiced seriously. "You're given her the pills I prescribed, right? She needs to take those at least three times a day, don't forget. That is crucial to her healing process, sunbaenim."

Yongguk nodded obediently, confirming his duties promptly. "Thanks for what you're doing," he added casually. Daehyun nodded briefly, catching Yongguk's eye for a second. Sympathetic gratitude flashed across Yongguk's sculpted features for just a second, making sure to go by noticed by the younger; in return, Daehyun flashed a cocky grin at his elder, eyes curving up delightfully into crescents.

"Now, don't go soft on me, sunbaenim; it doesn't suit your persona."
"Y-yah!"

 

 

"Annyeong, oppa!" Yonghee chirped.

Daehyun's eyebrows rose mirthfully. "Oppa?" he chorused with a hint of shock lacing his soft voice. Yonghee nodded in return, smiling as she casually linked his arms with hers. "I think that since we're going to be spending a lot of time together," she explained, "we should be more casual around one another.. you know, so we're comfortable and not always tense."
"Says the one that asked me to teach her how to love," Daehyun teased. "How could that not make a guy feel awkward?"
"I said to forget about it, though!" Yonghee argued, jutting her bottom lip out into an immature pout.

Daehyun chuckled at her childish antics, but ignored the fact that they were still connected at the arms. He strolled affably, talking and walking alongside Yonghee as they made their way into their signature cafe. "What are we doing today?" Yonghee inquired, slipping into their usual booth. Daehyun shrugged, leaning back into the booth as he stared ahead of him, into Yonghee's glistening irises. "What do you want to do?"

"We can do Psychology," he continued, "or math, English, history, maybe biology?"

Yonghee scowled at all the options, sprawling her arms across the table as she stretched. "I think you should talk to me more about what love feels like," she mumbled, yawning. "Speaking of which.. why shouldn't I tell oppa?"
"Because he'll probably castrate me if he finds out about it," Daehyun responded swiftly. He shrugged nonchalantly, chuckling at Yonghee's amused expression. "Anyways.. why are you so interested with the topic? Why not just go out and experience it first-handedly?"
"Because.. I don't know what to do or how to react," Yonghee returned with a small frown. "What if I get taken advantage of?"
"And I wouldn't do that?" Daehyun mused.

Yonghee shook her head. "I trust that you wouldn't."

"So who do you plan on falling in love with?" Daehyun joked. "Prince Charming? G-Dragon?" A hearty chuckle ensued, escaping from his lips graciously. Yonghee flushed at the question, ducking her head away. She tilted her head and glared out the window as humiliation coursed through her. She felt embarassed and frustrated that her own teacher wasn't understanding her intentions.

"Yonghee-ah," Daehyun addressed with a friendly beam. "If you want to fall in love, just listen to K-Pop; just watch a few music videos, and I can guarantee you'll be in love with 10 guys in fifteen minutes," he jeered. He blinked, though, smiling falling as he caught sight of Yonghee's unpleasant grimace. "Did I say something wrong?"
"In the book I read," Yonghee pouted, "the student fell in love with her 'love' teacher, not some K-Idol!"

She glared defiantly at him, oblivious to the blood suddenly rushing to Daehyun's brain and heart, unaware of the waves churning throughout his stomach. She resumed her penetrating glare, crossing her arms doggedly across her torso, watching Daehyun meticulously as his jaw dropped; his eyes widened to the size of their saucer plates, and what was white of his skin was now a deep red. Daehyun's flushed cheeks were blanketed by a deep reddish colour that shone from underneath the hanging lamp above.

"Student.. in love with 'love' teacher? Yonghee-shii," Daehyun cleared his throat, "do you realize what you're saying?"

"I asked you to teach me how to love," she stated frankly. "Doesn't that mean I should be falling in love with you?"
"D-de?" he squeaked slightly, as his voice cracked from the stressing nervousness clogging his throat. He his lips hastily, "But Yonghee.. you don't want to fall in love with meFind someone else to teach you, then; I'm a total loss when it comes to --"
"So you're saying to fall in love with a total stranger and risk getting taken advantage of?" Yonghee whispered, feigning a mock look of betrayal and hurt.

"A-aniya!" Daehyun voiced boiterously, flailing his hands. "A-araseo," he whispered, falling into deep compliance to her aegyo-filled pout. "I'll.. do what I can."
"Daehyunnie-oppa, you're going to teach me how to love, right? Right? It'll be like how it is in the novels, right? Right?"

Bang Yonghee, you're lucky you're a victim of disassociative personality disorder. If you weren't just recovering, I'd.. I'd...

"U-uh.. sure."