Harsh Reality.

Baby, I'm a Monster

"I want to be a part of Yonghee's life.. and even though I don't know now what I want, sunbaenim, some time from now, I will. And I can ensure you that it'll have a positive effect.. on all of us."

 


 

Later that night, Daehyun found himself inside his own apartment with Yonghee following casually behind him, her footsteps dainty and delicate, echoing gently as her flats pattered against the hardwood floors. Yonghee glanced around the furniture and decor, busying herself as Daehyun made himself sufficiently comfortably on the couch. He flickered through the television, casting secretive sideways glances at Yonghee every now and then from the corner of his eye. Amusement etched the crevices of his profile, drawing a curious look from Yonghee. "You're like a child," Daehyun chuckled breathlessly, "always picking at things and examining objects like they're potential toys."
Yonghee giggled fervently, plopping down beside Daehyun, her arms grazing against his softly. He cleared his throat, retracting his body away as he felt himself heat up from the close proximity. "So why'd you want to come over anyways?" he muttered. "There's nothing interesting here."

"Of course there is!" Yonghee exclaimed, beaming radiantly. "This is where you managed to find collective evidence to reinforce your theory about my multi-persona..." Yonghee's expression fell into one of pained anguish as her train of thoughts were cut short by a twinging pain streaking past her head. She clutched her temples tightly, fingernails digging rapidly into her skin as she winced.
Daehyun erected his back, crouching in front of her in a panicky state. "Yonghee-ah, gwaenchana?" he whispered, prying her hands away. Marks indicating her long fingernails lingered around her red skin as he pulled away her twitching hands. Her eyes were squeezed tight, as if bracing the angonizing pain. She whimpered, "Oppa, it hurts."

"What does?" Daehyun huffed, feeling her forehead and cheeks with his cool hands. "You don't have a fever; Yonghee-ah, tell oppa what's the matter." A crossed expression distorted Daehyun's handsome visage as his breath grew bated. His worry increased as Yonghee began to shake her head and claw at her jeans, murmuring incessantly about the pain.

"I'm going to take you to the ER, okay?" Daehyun stated lucidly, picking her up into his arms. He grabbed various items before making his way out the door; Yonghee's muffled cries echoed through his ears as she wiped her flooding tears onto the front of his jacket. "I'm going to take you to the hospital, and we're going to find out what's wrong. It's okay, Yonghee-ah; I'll take care of you."

 

Yongguk shuffled about his lonesome townhome, humming randomly to himself as he tidied up his place. His languid hand moved across the dark tresses of his greasy hair, picking up various items off the carpeted floors. He sighed, cracking his back once or twice every now and then, before resuming his house work.

He stopped though, when he picked up a small, orange bottle off of the floor; he examined it with furrowed eyebrows, grunting with puzzlement as he eyed the container dolefully. His grip tightened, then, as he read the marking on the bottle.

"Yonghee-ah! It's already six o' clock, aren't you meeting with Daehyunnie today?"

Yonghee jumped, a small bottle escaping her grasp as Yongguk appeared beside her. She processed his words hastily, gasping as she caught sight of the clock chiming 5:50. "Oh, no!" she gasped, running past Yongguk to fetch her jacket and handbag. "Gukkie-oppa," she breathed, straightening out her hair. "Please clean up the place today. I might be late; oppa's treating me for dinner."

Yongguk nodded absently, waving her off as he slumped onto the couch, flicking on the tv. Yonghee, ran out, neglecting and disregarding anything that was previously on her mind, and fluttered away to reach the 5:55 bus for that evening.

"Oh, ," Yongguk gasped, jogging to the coat hanger to grab his jacket. He pocketed the container into his jeans' pocket before stumbling out the door. He was about to call Daehyun, when just on cue, his phone vibrated loudly in his back pocket. Daehyun. "Yah, Hyun-ah!" Yongguk growled, hissing into the phone as he bumped his head accidentally onto the roof of the car. "Yonghee forgot --"

"Sunbaenim, you need to come to the hospital; something's happened to Yonghee."

"I know," Yongguk breathed. "She --"
"You know, what? What happened?! She's in pain everywhere, sunbaenim; her head is throbbing, she said."

Yongguk cursed, speeding vehemently into the direction of the pharmaceutical district. "Daehyun, you need to listen to me. Whatever happens, you need to sustain her."
"Su.. sustain her?" Daehyun echoed, voice wavering with increasing concern.
Yongguk nodded, despite knowing the younger wasn't even able to see. "Yeah," Yongguk huffed.

"Sunbaenim, what happened to Yonghee?"

The elder sighed sympaethically at the sound of the hurt creeping into Daehyun's meek voice. 

"Yonghee forgot to take her meds."

 

 

Yongguk pushed through the corridors, halting immediately as he caught sight of the pacing Daehyun walking amongst the crowded seating area. "Hyun-ah!" 
The younger lifted his head, stalking towards Yongguk hastily; his eyes were masked with apprehension and fearful woe. Yongguk's shoulders slumped mournfully, catching Daehyun's downcasted expression. "What's going on right now?" Yongguk demanded. "Why aren't you in there with her? I asked you to --"
"I'm not allowed," Daehyun interjected vehemently. "Trust me, if I was, I wouldn't be out here pacing, sunbaenim," Daehyun stated blandly. He grimaced, scowling grotesquely as he rubbed his clothed arms. "She was shaking so much.. like she was... I don't know how to explain it," Daehyun muttered, clutching his head tiredly. His frenetic hands ran through the dark brown locks of his hair, eyes sleepy with tragic worry.

"She was in a lot of pain, too," Daehyun whispered. "The doctors are doing what they can, but they don't know what's the cause."
Yongguk palmed the medicine bottle, placing it securely into Daehyun's cold hand. "She forgot to take her medication." 

The shorter male's eyes widened profusely, his jaw dropping. "Sunbaenim --"
"It was my fault; I rushed her and didn't notice. But she forgot to take them," Yongguk sighed, scratching his neck.
"When was the last time she took them?"
"Last night at around nine or ten at night," Yongguk reported smoothly. "She should be okay, right?"

Daehyun's fingers moved, swiftly, lips moving, silent as he mentally counted. "It's been about 21 hours since she last took them," he whispered irritably. "That's too long."
"So what's gonna happen now?" Yongguk inquired, desperately clutching his jeans. His heartstrings tugged at the sight of the pointed look waltzing onto Daehyun's aggravated features. The younger shook his head, his lips twitching downwards into a morbid frown. "Anything could happen," Daehyun whispered.

 

Yonghee shot up awake, only to come face to face with an oxygen mask attached to the bottom half of her face, and to various machines beeping around her limpen form. She counted two, three, exactly four needles stabbed harshly into her arm; each having their own sole purpose, she laid back, sighing contemptuously. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head as she fluttered them shut.

A churning inside her stomach whirled around, butterflies leaking as she in a cold breath. Her lungs burned with a ferocity; her heart thumped rapidly, doubling the pace of the third machine beeping to her right. A growl eminated from her lips as her eyes shot open at the sound of the door clicking shut. Her tongue darted out quickly, only to restore the lost moisture to her lips; she hissed, feeling the pain return to her cranium, temple, and chest. She heaved silently, her eyes monotonously following the aging doctor's movements.

"Oh, Yonghee-shii, you're awake!" the elderly woman smiled, clicking her tongue. The doctor pocketed her pen, setting her medical clipboard onto the counter, before slipping on her gloves. She, though, dropped her smile as Yonghee's smirk appeared from behind the transparent oxygen  mask. "My, is there something you want to say?" the doctor inquired kindly. "There's two men waiting for you. A brother.. and a boyfriend, perhaps? Shall I bring them in?"

Yonghee mentally scoffed, eyes narrowing. Yonghee didn't want to see anybody. Not now, not ever. Her heart pounded fiercely, bringing a pain to her rib with each beat of her heart. Her chest burned with dehydration and dryness, as a mirgraine played at her head, bringing her twice the amount of pain she's expected.

She hissed, wincing.

Her messaged was miscalculated and misinterpreted, obviously; the doctor smiled warmly. "I'll go fetch them for you."

 

Daehyun ran in first, grasping Yonghee's hand. "You're oka --"

Yonghee, though, took him by surprise, flicking off his warm hand. She sat up hesitantly, grimacing at the throbbing numbness shooting up her spine. She pulled herself up successfully into an upright position, eyes hard and stoic as they laid upon her elder brother and companion. Daehyun's amiable smile fell, drooping low into a distasteful frown. Yongguk was monotonous, unmoving as he observed Yonghee's novel, cold demeanor.

"Yonghee-ah," Daehyun whispered, narrowing his eyes suspiciously. He tried for her hand again, only to have it yanked back vehemently. A glower followed, her eyes burning a meticulous hole into the middle of his forehead. Daehyun's jaw locked, fists clenching as he mentally cursed himself. Yongguk crossed his arms with hostility, leaning beside Daehyun onto the counter behind him.

"What's the matter?" Daehyun inquired cautiously, unwilling to accept the harsh reality he's about to face.

Yonghee scoffed, her lips slowly, before encasing her long, slim fingers around the surface of the oxygen mask. She pulled it away slightly, in the fresh, scent of antiseptic for a second, before making her smirk evident from behind her mask of menace and dogmatic stubborness. She tittered bitterly, "Nothing... I just don't want you touching me.. Cop."