Ever Again.

Baby, I'm a Monster

"You claim to have found a possible cure to Miss Bang Yonghee's disassociated-personality disorder.. please reiterate and elucidate this claim."

Daehyun straightened his back, sitting erectly in the witness' panel as his monotonous gaze poured out into the scene unfolding before him. An unknown lawyer stood before him, his banal navy suit crisp and tucked neatly upon his lanky form. Daehyun, draped simply in a black button-up and greay trousers, stated wistfully, "It's not a cure, but a long-term treatment," he corrected briskly. "All she has to do is take her prescribed medication and attend therapy according to the preferred schedules."
"And what makes you think this will be able to keep her supposed alter ego locked away?"
"It's been scientifically proven and researched by a team of medical specialists, of whom expertise in this subject. As a doctor, I have studied it myself, and I don't know what else to tell you. She's been following the following procedures with no hassle, and as of current, her alter ego has not made its apperance, sir," Daehyun stated hastily. 
"And this is not a biased declaration you're making?" the lawyer inquired probingly.
"I have no reason to be making a biased claim," Daehyun argued insistently in a hard tone. His jaw clenched instinctively, a reaction versus the lawyer's condescending glare. Venomous scrutiny oozed out of the lawyer's presence, striking in irritable nerve inside Daehyun.

This was ridiculous, in the latter's opinion. Yonghee, he knew, was innocent. Yoona, her alter ego, was not. But for something the true Yonghee didn't even commit, she shouldn't even have to be tried. It wasn't her -- not mentally, or emotionally, for that matter. Her physical stance may have been involved, but with no memory or with not even an ounce of knowledge of the crimes she had allegedly committed, how could Yonghee possibly even be tried?

Of course Daehyun would never state this opinion.

It'd be unprofessional of him, and the claim would most likely trigger the assumption of biased propaganda.

In the corner of his eye, Daehyun caught sight of Yonghee biting nervously on her nails, adorned raggedly in her orange jumpsuit. He frowned at her disheveled appearance and mentally cursed the security in charge for not fixing her up a bit better. Yonghee's lips were curled distastefully into a distraught frown, her eyebrows creasing confusedly at the cross-examination taking place. 

The scenario unfolded before her with an unfamiliar air, and all she could do was bite her fingernails to stop herself from obnoxiously interrupting the process with her mindless, careless words. She chewed the inside of her cheeks nervously, her eyelashes fluttering apprehensively as she stared down at Daehyun, watching him meticulously as he locked eyes with the prim lawyer before him.

It was a different lawyer this time, Yonghee successfully recognized; and what was different about this lawyer was that he was much stronger, much more scrutinizing than the last. He had been rough with Yonghee, nearly driving her into tears; if it weren't for the judge, she'd be amidst a massive break down by now. She in a deep breath as the lawyer crawled into her line of sight. He was inching slowly towards her, a scowl apparent upon his lips as he glared down menacingly at her with his narrowed optics.

"Miss Bang Yonghee?"
"D-de?"
"Please step up to the witness' panel."

 

"Were you present at the crime scenes of the homicides committed?"
Yonghee gulped lightly, feeling an overwhelming sense of bemused confusion overtake her system. "Y-yes, supposedly," she replied meekly, lowering her gaze with penetrating fear.
"Please explain what you mean by supposedly."
"I have been told that I was physically present at the crime scenes," she responded patiently. "However, I have no knowledge of being there at all. If I had not been told, I would've never known I was involved." Her voice trailed off into a pitiful whisper, drawing an eruption of whispers from the onlookers.
"And how could that be possible?" the lawyer interrogated carefully. "How could you possibly be physically present, but not even mentally aware of your being there?"
"M-my doctor said --"
"It's not about what the doctors say, Miss Yonghee," the lawyer interjected vehemently. "What matters right now is your statement."

"But my statement should be based on what the doctors tell me," Yonghee insisted. "If it weren't for them and their information, I wouldn't even know; all I know is what they have told me."
"And tell me, Miss Yonghee, who is your doctor?"
"There is a series of them."
"Name some."
"Jung Daehyun-shii. Moon Bora-shii. Oh Yoona-shii. Im Han-shii." Yonghee's gaze hardened at the lawyer as his eyesbrows raised at the series of names. "I have more," she stated in a harsh whisper. "And they have all told me the same thing: I've been diagnosed as a multi-personality disorder patient. None of them have cooperated in collaborations with one another, nor have they even set foot in the same building. I was sent to them individually as a patient to collect stronger evidence of my disorder. And with their ability to prove my disorder, without even working with one another --"
"Nobody asked you to play lawyer, Miss Yonghee."

"Let her continue," the judge leered, an amused glint twinkling behind his eye. "She may have a point."
She nodded shyly, clearing ; suddenly, all the confidence within her diminished upon sight of the lawyer's distasteful frown. "They've all proved the one same thing," she whispered, then. "What else could it mean?"
"So you're telling me, you're not even aware when your alter ego will make her apperance?"
"Not until last minute. I'll have a shooting pain in my head.. and then.."
"And then?" the lawyer probed, easing in closer to view Yonghee's strained features.

"And then, it's blank.. everything."

"That's irrational, Miss --"

"Objection!" Yonghee's lawyer -his name Kim Taehyun- rose to his feet, strutting abruptly over to the witness' panel. He faced the opposite attorney with a burning gaze fired within his eyes. "How is this irrational, Your Honor?" Taehyun scoffed, facing the judge with a respective gaze. "It's a medical condition!"
"It's irrational!" the lawyer defended persuasively. "How is it realistically possible for one person, with a multi-personality disorder, to not recollect the memories of a crime they have committed?"
"How is it that an amnesiac can't remember what his name is?" Taehyun argued. "It's all the same. They're medical conditions we can't fight. You can't blame my client for being a disassociative-personality disorder patient. You can't blame an amnesiac for attaining amnesia. You can't blame a cancer patient, can you?"

"Order!"

The gavel was pounded onto it's platelet madly, recomposing the court's composure. Taehyun stood beside Yonghee's seat, his arm settled upon the wooden railing surrounding her. His fingers laced with the intricate designs, nails scraping the hard stubstance lightly as he was caught under his opponent's cold stare.

This was never going to end.

 

It continued. Day after day, the trial case resumed. Recess after recess, Yonghee found herself under more strain and contemptuous despair. Yongguk's daily visits, and Daehyun's nightly returns were growing monotonous and began to lack the vigor they used to contain. The feverish pallor reaching Yonghee's visage was taking its toll, displaing a whole new shade of white; the red in her flushing cheeks stood out harsher than what blood would look like in snow; her eyes were drooping with fatigue, and dark circles could be detected beneath her sagging eyes.

She was drained from the routine life she was beginning to grow accustomed to, and it not only worried Yongguk, but struck immediate apprehension within Daehyun.

"We can't possibly continue this," Daehyun stated with a gruesome scowl. Taehyun simply shrugged, biting down on his lip apologetically as he awkwardly avoided Yongguk's eye-roll. "She's growing paler and paler. They're obviously holding her in that cell. But what's also evident is that they're not taking proper care of her," Daehyun remarked briskly. "She's getting skinnier, and she's looking sick, for crying out loud!"
"They're just going to say that it's her fault for not choosing to eat."
"Who would want to eat in that environment anyways!?" Daehyun cried ferociously. Yongguk had to hold back the erratic younger, abstaining the young doctor from making any foolish mistakes he would most likely regret. Daehyun pushed off the elder's hands, brushing away imaginary dirty from his crumpled suit. He clicked his tongue mournfully. "I gave them documents. I handed them my research papers, stats; they were given doctor's reports. She went to several specialists -- one result from all of them. The one same result. What other evidence do they need? She can't remember a single thing. It wasnt' her who commmitted them."

Yongguk nodded silently, slowly as he voiced his agreement in a somber tone, "What do they plan to do, really? They should obviously know it was Yoona, her alter ego. It's been stressed and emphasized so many times, only an idiotic fool wouldn't be able to grasp that fact now. Do they just plan on provoking Yonghee until the point that Yoona finally makes her appearance again, just so that they can persecute the 'right person'?" Yongguk scoffed at this theory, shaking his head. "That's preposterous!"

Taehyun sighed, bowing his head as his calloused hands rubbed his temples tiredly. "I'm sorry, but I really don't know where we even stand in this case anymore. I was definitely sure we had the upper-hand, considering the numerous doctor reports and statistics, but aside from that and Yonghee's testimony, we don't have much else."

Daehyun's eyes fluttered shut with contemptuous fatigue. 

This can't be.

 

"Please let the jurors commence their deliberation in the juror's room. Gentlemen and women, please keep in mind that we are trying Miss Bang Yonghee for first-degree murder. As it is not a joking or trivial matter, I kindly ask of your wise benevolence to deliberate this deeply and thoroughly before making your unanimous decision. Thank you once again."

Daehyun nodded reassuringly to Yonghee, patting her back lightly. Yongguk shuffled from behind them over to where they were lounging, before sending Yonghee to the security guard. "What do you think the verdict will be?" Yongguk inquired. The elder consisted of a pale, sickly colour, as his bags were identical to Yonghee's sagging pair. He had grown substantially thinner, and his muscles were just flailing, nearly sagging beneath his paling flesh.

Daehyun looked similar, as well. His brown hair tossled and disgruntled from behind ran through by frenetic fingers; eyes tired with overwhelming exhaustion and contempt; lips tucked permanently into an austere scowl -- the two were absolutely tolled by the case and trial. "To be honest," Daehyun responded after a momentary silence, "I don't even know anymore."

"But in all," he continued meekly, heaving a fairly large sigh, "I just hope Yonghee will be okay in the end."

Yongguk nodded, "So do I."

 

The two were later ushered into Yonghee's holding cell, being granted by the judge the permission to visit her, granted that her verdict could be anything. It was a special offer, seeing as how Yongguk and Daehyun were prosecutors themselves, but abstained from participating entirely in the case, given their relationship to the defendant. "Hey." Yongguk's voice came out first, raspy and hoarse.

Yonghee simply nodded, eyes glazed with blank boredom. Daehyun rested himself beside her, smiling softly as he felt her head rest peacefully on his shoulder. "I'm scared," she admitted plainly, looking down at her fingers. Yongguk crouched before her, taking her cold hands into his warm pair, holding them to his cheeks affectionately. "You'll be okay," he told her. "I promised you, and so did Daehyunnie."

"Oppa," she murmured to neither of the two in particular. "What if --"
"Don't," Daehyun seethed almost angrily through his clenched jaw. His teeth gritted slowly as he felt his grip on her shoulders tighten. "Don't give me 'what if's'," he ordered her sternly in a soft tone. "You're going to give me stuff like: 'When I get out..' or  'After this is over..'," he in a deep breath, feeling his eyelids give out. "You're going to get out of here," he told her surely, "so don't give me doubtful remarks. Instead, let me hear your plans about what you're going to do first when you get the hell out of here."

Yonghee smiled knowingly, a small ghost of a smile. Yongguk nodded, brushing away extranneous strands of hair, and tucking it behind her ear. The elder kissed her forehead lightly, before taking the seat beside her, placing her in between him and Daehyun. "How about we just all go for some burgers and milkshakes?"
"Yeah, prison food isn't my thing," Yonghee agreed half-heartedly.
"I could say the same thing for your brother's cooking."
"Hey, you know. I just don't want to waste money or get fat from take-out. At least I didn't give you food poisoning."

Yonghee released a breathless giggle, drawing ogles from the two males placed on either side of her. Tears prickled at her eyes -- a result of the overwhelming conflictions stirring within her. She her lips slowly, nodding off. "I'm just.. so tired," she stated with a somber smile. "And then.. it's moment like these, that I feel alone; you guys aren't here, the guards have probably dozed off, and I'm off to my own imagination. And I think to myself: how did this even start? It feels like lightyears ago that I first met Daehyun-oppa as myself."

"I remember first meeting Yoona," Daehyun blinked nonchalantly. His shudder was passed on discreetly to Yonghee, who wrapped a small arm around his waist, as her other moved around Yongguk's. She bowed her head, letting her tears flow freely from her eyes. Knowingly, Daehyun leaned his head against hers, his warm breath barely tickling her ears. "You'll be okay.. I promise you, Yonghee," he whispered surreptitiously. "I swear to you on my life that you'll be getting out of here... I'm not going to let anything happen to you.. not ever again."

 


 

Sorry for delay.
Do you guys hate me.
I'm probably a law-fic writer LOL.
Creys.