Some Time

Baby, I'm a Monster

Two long months later...

 

 

Daehyun shifted uncomfortably, his hands intertwined gently with Yonghee's slender fingers. He his lips slowly, focusing his eyes out on the flowery frontier before them, unmoving from his grassy spot. The sun was just barely setting now, just a speck of orange and yellow, with a tint of pink, amongst the horizon. Yonghee casually leaned her head on his shoulder, sighing as a delicate butterfly fluttered past her ear. "Is there something wrong?" Daehyun questioned worriedly, all forms of awkward tension vanishing with each word uttered.

Yonghee shook her head, sitting upright. A small pout was detected upon her deliciously luscious lips, pink and solemn with a childish intent."Oppa, I don't feel it," she muttered, picking foolishly at the grass. The meadow was silent, except for the occasional croak of a frog or toad by the creek a several meters down. Aside from that, all that could be heard was the churning of the creek water and the slow, gentle breaths of the two seated at the center of the knoll.

"Feel what?" Daehyun whispered, casting a secretive sideways glance at his feminine companion.
"The butterflies.. the churning, the racing mind -- oppa, you said you'd teach me how to feel all that."
Daehyun chortled heartily, shaking his head lightly. A playful smile itched at the corner of his pink lips, drawing an objectional pout from Yonghee. 
"It's been two months," he declared plainly. "And you haven't felt a thing, despite all we've done together. What have we done? We shared crepes, ice cream cones; we went on movie dates as well as dinner dates. I've walked you home, I've tutored you. Yonghee-ah, I've done all I can," Daehyun laughed, brightly. His radiant smile shone against the sun, competing for warmth. A lopsided smirk formed, then, and he turned to face Yonghee. "Maybe I'm just not the one --"
"But I want you to be the one!"

Daehyun blinked, half shocked from the outburst, and half shocked from her indirect confession. His finger moved on its own to point at himself. "Me?" he voiced in a quick huff. "Yonghee-ah, you're insane," he joked. "I'm not the one; you even said so: you're not feeling anything. After two months, I still can't make you blush, unless I tell a erted joke. Don't you think it's time to find a different person to teach you?"

Yonghee shook her head. "It's not that," she hummed, pursing her lip.

Daehyun gulped, averting his gaze away from her red lips, and shifting away awkwardly to his sneakers. He brought his knees up to his chest, hugging them, and slightly leaning to his side to lean on Yonghee. He sighed, exhaling a deep breath, before speaking, "You know, two months before today, I was just interested in you." There was a long pause before he continued again; this time, Yonghee's attention was away from the grass, and on Daehyun, focused and intent. "Now, I don't know if I like you, or if I'm still just interested."

He shifted his eyes back to hers, flickering them quickly to her lips before moving them back to her honey-glazed irises. He cocked his head curiously, cutely smiling at her. A warmth over spread her features as the realization of their close-proximity finally reached her. Daehyun's warm breath was inches away from her jaw line, casting a minty hue upon her nose. "What have you done to me?" he whispered.

Yonghee pulled back abruptly, covering the bottom half of her face with her twitching hands. Daehyun shook his head, chortling brightly, before pulling her up tenderly. "It's time to get you home --"
"Wait."
"Hm?" Daehyun cocked a probing brow, smiling expectantly with his doe-like eyes.

"If you really did like me, oppa, would you let me know?"

She was too innocent for his liking; Daehyun couldn't so no, no matter how much he wanted to. It was wrong from the beginning; he wasn't supposed to get attached. Not to Yonghee, not to his client, his victim. But how was he supposed to fight it, given all the work he's put into her recovery?

"Of course."

 

 

"Sunbaenim."

Yongguk glanced up from his magazine, pulling his feet off the table as he watched Daehyun stand before his clutter-filled desk. "What is it?"
Daehyun let out a long sigh, plopping down submissively into the chair before the mahogany desk. He stared ahead, looking past Yongguk, before meeting his elder's eyes desperately. "Nevermind," he coughed. The younger sat up, rising to his feet, and readying himself to go before the elder's deep voice halted him.

"Is it about Yonghee? Something happen? What's wrong?" Yongguk stood up, walking over to Daehyun to face him directly. The younger lowered his gaze, sheepishly rubbing the nape of his neck before laughing nervously.
"Yes and no," he answered vaguely, clicking his tongue as he searched his no-longer intelligent mind for a coherent story to feign. Daehyun bit down on his lower lip nervously, shifting his weight from one foot to another.

"Did something happen to her?" Worry laced Yongguk's mourning words, grimacing as Yongguk glowered down at the junior with menacing optics. "Daehyun-ah."
"It's more of a personal matter," Daehyun sighed. "I wanted to ask you about it, since I thought you'd be experienced and all that, but it just might not be the right thing to go to you." Daehyun whistled, avoiding Yongguk's morphing expression.
"And this concerns my sister, why?"

Silence.

Yongguk caught the realization.

"Yah, Jung Daehyun, you ert!"

 

Yongguk lowered his head to stifle his laughter, but failed miserably, consequently resulting in laughing straight in Daehyun's face. His large hand moved hastily to cover his mouth, but to no avail. The laughter was too loud and too obnoxious to miss. In return, Daehyun rolled his eyes and leaned back into the revolving chair, eyes scanning the snacks in the break room nonchalantly as he left Yongguk to chuckle to himself.

"Laugh all you want," Daehyun muttered. "Let's see who's going to be the one laughing when I swear myself as  your brother-in-law."
Immediately, Yongguk's smile faltered. "Absolutely not."
Daehyun shrugged. "I'm not going to be the only one deciding when the time comes --"
"It's been two months, hasn't it?" Yongguk recalled vaguely. "Why am I just finding out now?"

"Scared you'd castrate me," Daehyun returned blandly.

Yongguk snorted. "I'd do that and decapitate you," he uttered mockingly. "Plus, you ain't even sure if you really like her or not."
"And that's where the advice is cued," Daehyun objected. "When I see her.." his voice trailed, but his tender smile did not falter. His expression was surreal, earning himself a distorted look of confusion from Yongguk. "I want to see her smile, no matter what. Sometimes, I feel like making her dinner, and cooking for her; if not, then going out to go on some cliched date. Just doing anything with her, really."

"But she's sick."

"Why does that have to matter?" Daehyun questioned seriously. "She's recovering. Shouldn't that be what matters most?"
"What if she relapses, or something?" Yongguk argued persistently. "I'm not saying I don't want you to date her. By all means, I'd rather have you date her than anyone else I can find. You've done a lot, and sure I owe you my thanks, but she's sick. You know that. She can go back any time. There's no guarantee that her meds will fully cure her anyways. Sure your tutoring sessions with her are allegedly supposed to help her restore her true self, but is that really all it takes? Nothing is that easy, Daehyun-ah."

"If I've come this far with her, don't you think I can endure just a bit more?" A defiant glint in Daehyun's eye glistened, forcing Yongguk to step off his dominant plate. 
The elder scowled, cursing himself mentally for Daehyun's quick wit. "Are you sure you want to put yourself through this? As you said, you just like her. It's not like you have that responsibility to have to protect her. You don't know if you love her or not. Get yourself set straight before taking responsibility over another human being, dongsaeng --"

"Sunbaenim," Daehyun interjected vehemently. The latter his lips, shifting his gaze away. "I didn't want it to ge this serious, but I'm going to tell you now: whatever it is, even if I'm not entirely sure or lucid, there's one thing I'm sure about."
"And that is?"

"I want to be a part of Yonghee's life.. and even though I don't know now what I want, sunbaenim, some time from now, I will. And I can ensure you that it'll have a positive effect.. on all of us."