Gangnam -- "Six".

Baby, I'm a Monster

Still a coward, am I?

 


 

"Before you is a file of all our potential suspects; we are looking for a woman," Yongguk informed. His eyes fell upon his hushed subordinates, watching them as they shared distinct glancs with one another. "The latest scene -- the murder took place at around eight to nine at night in the countryside, a wealthy region. An eldery man and his middle aged son were found dead in their homes by their housekeeper. Forensics searched the area; the blood at the scene belonged to the men only. Time of death was close to 8:30 at night to around 8:45. We have no other leads except... The only piece of evidence we have gathered from the crime scene included a small fiber from a coat jacket and a fingerprint."

Enthused murmurs erupted from the men and women gathered in the conference room at the mention of a fingerprint. After about 350 missing-persons reports and 45 or so bodies, the first piece of evidence was finally making its appearance, thus causing the stir amongst the colleagues. Yongguk cleared his throat condescendingly, averting attention back onto him. "However, the fingerprints match nobody in our database; all the forensics team could recover was that our suspect is either a man with very petite hands, or a woman. For now, we'll be going with the theory that our murderer is indeed a woman."

"Why?" A blonde-haired female pushed up her eyeglasses, eyeing Yongguk intently as she absently jotted notes down into her notepad. "It could as well be very likely that the suspect is a man."
"Doubt it," Daehyun interejcted with a curt smile. "If you had studied the autopsies, the wounds all consisted of blows to major vital points and arteries," he reported professionally, pushing his file over to the woman. He gave her a taut nod as her lips pressed tightly together with realization. "Based on psychological studies, no man would be able to maintain this level of accuracy during a raging fit; we have no motive, but at this moment, our theory is based on assuming that these murders are acts of vengeance."
"What makes you say that?" It was an older man this time, his hair a salt-and-pepper like hue; his wrinkles were hardly visible, just a few crows' feet at the edge of his eyes. He stared intently at his junior, Daehyun, who had simply leaned back in his seat, lacing his fingers atop the round table. 

"The victims were all men of a high social standing," Yongguk explained thoroughly. "Politicians, stockbrokers, lawyers -- alot of them were also found guilty of illegal acts, which of most included extortion."

The crowd nodded silently, absorbing the information. "So you're guessing it's a woman?"

Daehyun and Yongguk shared a pointed look, before nodding in unison, locking their eyes with as many people as they could. Another older man sighed, nodding furiously at Yongguk and Daehyun. "Since you two are already in charge of this case, we'll leave the rest to you. We'll look into these files and see if there's anyone suspicious. For now, keep up the good work, and if you find anything with utmost significance, do not hesitate to call forth another conference."

"Ye, sunbaenim," the two youngest men chorused.

 

"You hiding something?"

Yongguk looked up abruptly from behind his long lashes, setting down his book. "Hiding something?" he repeated incredulously in a low voice. "Who do you think I am?"
Daehyun shrugged. "You just seem a bit distracted; it's not like I'm accusing you of something, sunbaenim." Yongguk sighed at this, hissing a deep breath before averting his gaze away from Daehyun's penetrating stare. The latter, however, kept his eyes on the elder, boring all his profiling skills onto this single man. "Sunbaenim," Daehyun muttered worriedly. "Seriously, what's bothering you?"
Before Yongguk could give the younger a reply, his phone vibrated loudly in his pocket, forcing him to pick it up without even looking at the Caller ID. "Bang Yongguk, Seoul Police Department of Corrections." Monotonously, his voice rung out; Daehyun blinked innocently, not even fazing.

Suddenly, Yongguk's blood ran cold as a chilly - and also very familiar - laugh echoed from the opposite line; her voice was breathy, like she had just finished a marathon. The smile was her face was almost audible. Yongguk's blood was cold, pumping slowly. His face drained of any colour as she continued to hum a mysterious lullaby, stalling intentionally with her taunting melody. "Prosecutor oppa!" she finally declared with a dramatic gasp. "Oh no, it looks like your dongsaeng has caused another trouble!"

He gritted his teeth, stirring a concerned look from Daehyun. "Sunbaenim  --" He clamped his mouth shut in response to Yongguk's deathly glare, shrinking beneath the flaming eyes.

"Gangnam," she whispered solidly into the phone; her distant voice sent a cold chill up Yongguk's spine, and he nearly lost grip of his phone. All playfulness was lost and could no longer be deciphered in her suddenly venomous voice. And just barely above a whisper, she finalized with, "Six."

The dial tone rung boisterously in his ear, followed by a buzzing that spun Yongguk's already-crowded mind. "Daehyun," he whispered in a raspy voice. Yongguk looked back up at the baffled Daehyun, locking his frazzled eyes with Daehyun's glimmering irises. "We.. we need to go to Gangnam."
"What?"
"We need to go to Gangnam," Yongguk roared, pulling of his jacket from his chair. "We need to go.. now."

As he ran to his car, Yongguk tugged on his jacket, almost stumbling over his own feet; he ignored Daehyun's ignorant protests and simply carried on, his hand grasped tightly around the younger's wrist. Carelessly, Yongguk threw his junior into the passenger seat before scurrying around to enter the driver's side of the car. "Why Gangnam?" Daehyun breathed in a single huff.

Yongguk's brain casually translated Yonghee's vague message, bringing the results immediately to the tip of his tongue, but Yongguk refused to speak; if he spoke, it'd be revealed; if it was revealed, everything would go downhill. He couldn't afford that -- not now. So, he disregarded Daehyun's incessant inquiries, and kept his mind focused on the road, trying to reach Gangnam from the station as fast as he could whilst trying to bide by the speed limit.

Gangnam.. six more bodies.