That Day

First Love Turns Second

So Eun’s POV

 

We walked into the church that the drama took place in Jeonju. The interior was elegant and huge. I opened my mouth in amazement. We sat on the bench and started making wishes. I wished for us to gain inspiration from the trip here and also, I wished for Jun Ho to gain happiness. He deserved a better girl. He deserved happiness after what had happened to us.

 

I opened my eyes to find him still having his hands together making his wish. Once he opened his eyes, he asked me, “What did you wish for?”

 

I contemplated before answering him. Cowardly, I responded, “It’s a secret.”

 

“Really? Then it’s a secret for me too.”

 

I wanted to know his secret desperately. Did he solely wish for the purpose of the song composition or… he wished something else as well?

 

We went to the front after walking down the aisle. It really felt like the day of our marriage. My heart was as nervous as before. Even though we were not dressed for the wedding, memories of our past kept flooding back. I looked at the cross above and turned to peek at Jun Ho whose face was stiff.

 

I said, “Groom Mr Gong Sangdu, welcome Bride Ms Chae Heeju as your wife. Will you swear to live happily forever?” I mimicked the words from the movie perfectly. Even though Jun Ho was laughing, I said it in a serious tone, exactly the same way the pastor said few years ago at our wedding.

 

I waited for his response. His face turned serious when he realised I was not joking.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Then I shall ask the bride. Bride Ms Chae Heeju, welcome Groom Mr Gong Sangdu as your husband. Will you swear to live happily forever?” I paused when I felt my voice trembling.

 

Vows were made between us but promises were not kept. Did we really live happily forever? No, we did not. And that broke my heart. Trying my best not to choke on my words, I replied, “Yes.”

 

“Thus, the marriage between the two of you has been completed.”

 

Jun Ho’s POV

 

We walked down the streets of Jeon Ju together. Thoughts were running through my mind. Part of it was the song writing but most of it was thinking about the promises and wishes we made at the church. She remembered the vows we made perfectly – even though the names used were not ours.

 

What was she thinking back then? Did she remember every single detail of our wedding like I did?

 

“Your bag is heavy right? Let me carry it for you,” I took her bag and got reminded that we were still with the cameras and I had to say something, not being distracted by unnecessary thoughts.

 

She laughed when I carried her back. So Eun had her scarf around her and she asked, “Are you cold?” Before I could reply to her, she held the scarf over my shoulder so that we were sharing the same scarf.

 

She stepped back after a while. Even though it was a brief moment, I could not hide my happiness when she initiated the contact. “You must be cold,” I commented and had the scarf secured to her body, ensuring she was warm. Suddenly, I felt guilty.

 

During our times together, when was the last time I was that attentive? I could not remember.

 

♪ ♫ ♬

 

Since it was running late after our dinner at a restaurant, the staff had arranged us to stay at a small hotel located in Jeon Ju. We agreed since it was too late for us to head back to Seoul. I washed up and got into the bed immediately as my body was physically tired from all the filming.

 

However, my eyes were not listening to me. I did not feel like sleeping. I smiled to myself like an idiot as I remembered her putting the scarf over my shoulder, worrying that I was going to be cold. I covered my face in embarrassment.

 

Suddenly, I heard a bang in the opposite room, followed by a short scream. I sat up immediately and asked through the thin wall, “Are you okay? What happened?”

 

“It’s nothing, I dropped my bag on my feet!” So Eun replied immediately as I could hear shuffling sounds as she packed her things on the other room.

 

I lied against the bed, trying to listen to her small movements. I swore I could hear her clearly on the other end – perhaps lying on the bed, against the wall as her bed creaked while she sighed in exhaustion.

 

“Why aren’t you asleep yet?” I deliberated for a moment and asked with concern, “You know we have to leave here by 8 right? You need to get some sleep.”

 

“I can’t get to sleep,” So Eun confessed.

 

I nodded to myself and spotted the six rice wine bottles that I bought from the restaurant earlier. They were initially meant for my members when I got back to Seoul but I guessed this was a change of plans. I knocked on the wall for her attention and asked, “Since both of us are like night owls, would you want to share the rice wine I bought earlier?”

 

“I thought they were for 2PM?”

 

“Well, it’s not as if they would give me anything in return anyway. Those beasts.” I commented and she chuckled to herself. I waited for her reply anxiously and asked, “So?”

 

“Okay.”

 

♪ ♫ ♬

 

“Ah! It’s so refreshing!” So Eun smiled to herself and I could possibly tell she was going to be drunk soon. Her face was already flushed red after she took her fourth gulp.

 

I took the bottle away from her hand and she pouted with sadness. I told her, “Look at yourself. You’re going to be drunk. You’ll have to get back to Seoul tomorrow.”

 

She opened her eyes widely and frowned, “I’m not drunk yet.”

 

From her looks, I could tell she was still fairly conscious. I nodded and admitted to her, “I never knew you could drink so well. I remember you passing out after one mouthful of beer when you were still a minor. I had to carry you home and your dad thought I was going to do something bad to you.”

 

She started laughing and mimicked her father’s actions, “I remember he started taking the broom and hit your bottoms repeatedly! It was so hilarious!”

 

“Wait,” I frowned, “You were conscious back then?”

 

So Eun stuck out her tongue and confessed cheekily, “Well, yes.”

 

“Why didn’t you help me? You were lying on the floor when your father was chasing me around the house!” I argued and was terribly in shock.

 

“Hey, I knew I was going to be in deep trouble if I had woken up! So I just stayed asleep and pretended I did not know anything!” She blushed.

 

I stood up and showed my bottoms to her, “Thanks to your father, my bottoms have become so swollen that my fans kept teasing that I have a Ho-!”

 

So Eun was almost rolling on the floor and started teasing me for it, “Ho-!”

 

“Yah, you’re in trouble! Wait till I catch you!” I said when she started to stand up and ran around the hallway.

 

“Ho-!” She gave me a meh-rong face before running away.

 

“Kim So Eun!”

 

We just kept playing like that for another hour before both of us were exhausted. I had never had so much fun ever since 2PM concert ended. It was as if we returned back to high school days, just playing like image did not matter to us.

 

If only, that day could return again.