True Words

First Love Turns Second

So Eun’s POV

 

For the past week, I was not able to contact Jun Ho through the phone. He was extremely busy and the moment we talked, I could feel that he was worn out and he was not even listening to me speak anymore. I understood his plight so I let him be.

 

I was rehearsing for my so-called audition as said by Mr Lee. He sent the script to all of the actresses he shortlisted and I had to do well in order for him to choose me. I went into the room and it was like any other audition with three judges and himself.

 

Surprisingly, the audition ended off very quickly but I was hesitant about my own performance. He did not comment and it was very brief. I felt worrisome as he did not speak a word. I plopped myself on the sofa and started checking my phone. Jun Ho did not text or call me today.

 

I needed a shoulder to cry on. I had been down with no dramas lately and it seemed like I was in a slump with no job to do. Jun Ho was busy with his concerts but I was here doing nothing. I felt pissed and frustrated. Was it true? Mr Lee was known to make things difficult for those who opposed him and I was definitely one of them.

 

I felt a tinge of regret for treating him that way.

 

Suddenly, my phone rang. Thinking it was Jun Ho, I immediately picked up the phone.

 

“Hello, So Eun, it’s me.”

 

My smile faded as I recognized the voice, “Ah, Mr Lee…”

 

“Competition is tough today, huh?” He asked.

 

“Well, I think so.” I hesitated as I remembered his uncaring face a while ago at the audition.

 

“I’m giving you another chance, So Eun.” He said and explained, “You know me very well. I am very well established in this industry and if you lose this, you may as well lose this job forever.” I gulped as I listened to him carefullly. He coughed and continued, “I’ll be flying off to Japan tomorrow morning and I want you to come with me.”

 

“Come with you? To Japan? Why?” I asked.

 

He explained again, “This drama requires the collaboration between the Japanese producers and writers there. They do have a say in the female lead in this drama and they want to see you for yourself. It’s a little rushed but you should capture this opportunity.”

 

“Okay, I need to tell my manager and things…” I started to stutter when I realized things were not all lost for me.

 

“Manager? There’s no need to. We’ll be just staying there for one night. Besides, I told you I’ll be contacting you by your phone instead. Why are you worrying? Are you afraid I’ll kidnap you or something?” He laughed dryly but I was not able to laugh with him.

 

“No… No…”

 

“That’s good. You have a whole night to think about it. If not, you can just spend the night packing up your bags.” He said and finished off, “I’ll be waiting at the gates with your golden ticket, Kim So Eun.”

 

The way he used my full name was intimidating. Instead, I felt hopeful. It was my chance to prove my worth and I should grab it. Besides, it was just for one day. I would go to Japan, meet the people, stay in my room and come back. No harm done.

 

My manager was busy with other stuff so it was too late to tell him everything. I would say I had an urgent matter to attend at home and come back quickly. If I got this role, he would just assume I was chosen through the auditions. I smiled and started packing for my bags.

 

I reached the arrival gates and began searching for Mr Lee and his other colleagues. And then, someone called my name. I turned around to find him with shades and an over-sized jacket waving at me. I walked to him and scanned the surroundings, “Where’s the rest?”

 

“I’m alone.”

 

“What? Why?” I asked, a little too loud.

 

“Is there anything wrong?”

 

“Wait, no. I mean no.” I shook my head and he had his hand over me and checked into the departure gates with him. I smiled lightly and removed his hands away from my shoulder, “Sorry, Mr Lee. I think we should just keep a distance in case someone gets the wrong idea.”

 

He laughed and said, “Who dares to say so when I’m here? Besides, I’m just escorting you in, So Eun. Don’t be paranoid. If you’re that timid, the Japanese will not like you.”

 

I nodded and closed my eyes. I needed all the courage I could get. At that moment, I got a call from Jun Ho.

 

Jun Ho’s POV

 

“Leave already!”

 

“Yes, yes, Jun Ho! We’re leaving!” Taec Yeon whined and finally got his out of the couch. He put on his shoes slowly and raised his eyebrows, “Are you sure you don’t want to come along with us? You know the ramen shop Nichkhun recommended is really delicious.”

 

“I want to but I’m terribly sick…” I coughed for his benefit but he looked at me with weird expression. I frowned and pushed him out of the door, “You’re going to be late meeting the rest. Leave already!”

 

“Alright, alright… Take care!”

 

I closed the door and sighed. Finally the sore eye was gone. Taec Yeon’s a really great friend but sometimes it would be best if no one knew about my plan. I smiled and positioned the table which was just nice for two.

 

The doorbell rang and I opened it, “Room service.”

 

I invited him in as he pushed the cart into the room. I ordered two sets of main course, the hotel’s signatures, a bottle of wine and two sets of desserts because I knew So Eun loved desserts. I escorted him out after he placed a cloth on the table for decoration purposes.

 

I closed the door and called her again, “So Eun, where are you?”

 

“I’m already in the lift to your floor, Jun Ho.”

 

“That’s perfect. I’ll wait at the door!” I said and continued talking to her until she rang my doorbell. I called her hours ago to check on her and she said she was coming over to Japan. At first, I was angry that she did not inform me earlier but now, I was more than happy. I had not seen her for two weeks and I missed her badly.

 

She apparently came over for some drama reasons but I did not ask further since the next thing I did was to ask her to come over and see me at my hotel room once she settled in Japan. I was touched when she called me when immediately after she placed her luggage down. She came over right away, not even unpacking first.

 

I prepared a very nice lunch for her since I had time to spare. My concert was this evening and I was planning to invite her to watch it as promised when we were filming for ‘Music and Lyrics’. The most important thing was…

 

Taking out the little box of mine in my pocket, I opened it and the item sparkled.

 

I planned to propose to her today. Well, we were not going to get married that early but I wanted to show her I was going to be committed and be her fiancé. I knew we were perfect for each other and it was the time to show it. I bought the ring when I passed by a jewelry shop in Japan.

 

Hearing the doorbell, I rushed forward and kept the ring in my pocket. I opened the door to see her in a little hat but her smile could not be hidden. Out of pure happiness, I went forward and hugged her so tightly that she squealed. To prevent from attracting attention, I carried her in and closed the door, “So Eun, I miss you…”

 

She let go off me and giggled like a little girl, “I miss you too!”

 

I pointed to the table at the back and she gasped, “What’s all this?”

 

“Surprise! I ordered room service for us both, “Just something I want to do after not seeing you for ages.”

 

“It’s only two weeks…” She lamented.

 

“Two weeks is a long time!” I argued but ended up smiling at her, “Sit down!”

 

“I ate on the plane already, honestly,” She admitted.

 

I pouted so she relented and sat down. I was starving and started telling her about my schedule. I even told her about my horrible weeks staying with Taec Yeon in the same room. That guy was a mess. He did not even bother to bathe before going to sleep. I swore I was going to die because of his stench. She laughed at the right times and nibbled a little of the food for me.

 

“I guess your concert preparations must be ready then. I can see the confidence you’re oozing out!” She commented and dropped the fork down, signaling she was full.

 

I got reminded of the tickets I was going to give her to watch my concert. I moved to her and bent down to her position, “Speaking of which, I have another surprise for you.”

 

“Since when you’re a master of events?”

 

I pulled out a concert ticket in front of her face and she was unaware at first. She took it hesitantly and I witnessed her grin getting wider. However, her smile started to fade away as her eyes scanned the ticket from top to bottom.

 

“What is it?” I placed my hands on her shoulder.

 

She bit her lips and said, “Sorry, Jun Ho. I can’t go for it. I have something on.”

 

“What? Why?” Disappointment washed over me.

 

So Eun frowned and became a little frustrated, “Didn’t you listen to what I said just now?”

 

“What did you say?” Honestly, I was not really listening because I was simply eating and looking at her, thinking of my concert later on, as well as worrying how I was going to propose to her.

 

She sighed deeply, “I said I am going to meet the Japanese producers and writers for a drama later on with the director this evening. It’s very important to me because it is a very big production collaborated by both countries.”

 

I nodded and tried to tell her, “Can’t you meet them another day? I have already prepared a seat just for you.”

 

“I can’t do that, Jun Ho! They’re big people, not literally but you know what I mean…” She muttered.

 

“How about you come for tomorrow’s?” I suggested.

 

“I can’t, I’m returning tomorrow morning.” She shook her head, “I’m sorry, Jun Ho. I know you will do well in the concert.”

 

Since she could not attend, I guessed I should ask about the meeting she would be having later then. “Maybe your manager can drive you over when the concert is over. I can…”

 

“My manager isn’t here with me.”

 

I paused for a moment and asked again, “Then who did you come with?”

 

She looked down but replied me anyway, “The director?”

 

“Just the two of you?!” She nodded again and I asked, “Who’s he?”

 

“Lee Dae Wook.”

 

Lee Dae Wook?!

 

I was fuming inside. Everyone knew this guy’s a dangerous man. He preyed on actresses and made them do indecent stuff so that they could rise. I just never knew So Eun would be one of them who was gullible enough to fall into his trap. Even though I was not in the drama industry, it was a known fact he was not a good person.

 

“Are you crazy? Seriously, So Eun, I never knew you would stoop that low!” I raised my voice at her.

 

“Don’t raise your voice at me, Lee Jun Ho! Why are you saying that?” She was still not aware why I was angry?

 

I paced around the room and said, “That bastard director is a dirty old man who doesn’t treat actresses professionally. Every actress he hires is accused of…” I could not continue the sentence as I recalled all the negative articles the past actresses got even though they became popular.

 

“Jun Ho, I know your worries but it’s okay. Mr Lee did not do anything to me. He sincerely wants me to go for it and I’m not that kind of woman who succumbs to such desires!” She tried to convince me and held my hands.

 

I closed my eyes and imagined the scenario with him and my So Eun in one room. I could not take it anymore. In any case, I asked another question, “The producers and writers… There must be a female right?”

 

She did not answer me.

 

“Answer my question!” I yelled.

 

“Jun Ho! Stop being ridiculous!” She accused me.

 

“Me? Ridiculous? I’m just trying to be a good boyfriend right here,” I said, “Why didn’t you discuss with me earlier? I deserve to know all of these…”

 

She rolled her eyes and raised her voice this time, “You have been so busy with your schedule and when we talked, I listened to you all the time. Since when did I have the chance to talk to you about my plans? All you mention was your concert and you never even bothered to ask about me and my life!”

 

I never cared about her? How could she say such a thing? The fact that I called her the moment I ended my practices and concerts had shown that I cared and missed her! She actually doubted my actions for her. I could not believe my ears.

 

She was not even done, “Before I could even discuss with you, you were too tired to even listen to me. You either yawn or fall asleep when I was talking so how did I have the nerve to discuss such a matter with you? You are too busy with your life to even lend a listening ear!”

 

Wait, she was putting the blame on me now?

 

“Look, So Eun. This has nothing to do with the stupid meeting you’re going with that Lee Dae whatever! Don’t change the damn topic!” I shouted but softened a little at the end, frightened someone would complain.

 

I took in a deep breath as she sat back in her chair as I faced the window to calm my nerves. It was minutes of silence before I turned back to her, “Don’t go for it. I don’t care if the drama is making it big. If you’re going to achieve that role in such a manner, I rather you reject it.”

 

So Eun’s eyes flared up and she crossed her arms, “Are you crazy? I have been working so hard for that role and you’re telling me to give it up?!”

 

“It’s for your sake!”

 

“No, you’re being selfish…” She interrupted, “You don’t know how much effort I had to put in in order to get such an important role. You don’t know the life of an actress and simply make decisions without knowing a single crap I do!”

 

“So Eun!”

 

She backed away and took her bag, “That’s it. I don’t want to talk about it anymore. You have a concert to go to while I have a meeting to prepare for. I’m going.”

 

I stepped forward and grabbed her wrist, “So Eun, please. I don’t have a good feeling about him.”

 

“Jun Ho, you never changed.” She said and removed my grip, “You’re still overly jealous.”

 

With that, she opened the door and slammed it in my face. I could not believe she thought I was jealous. It was true I was very jealous before – especially in my teens when every guy talked to her, I would confront him and beat him to a pulp. That had made So Eun very angry.

 

I grabbed my hair and punched the wall. Touching the box in my pocket, I took it out and got agitated again. This day was not going well as I thought. I threw the box on the bed and sat down on the chair, defeated.