Clear Cut

First Love Turns Second

So Eun’s POV

 

From Jun Ho
Are you asleep?

 

I was taken aback when I received a text message from him. Seeing his name appearing on my phone screen seemed like an impossible sight but it happened. And I did not know how to react. Was he pretending that the past did not exist? Did he forget everything that happened? The good and the bad?

 

On one side, I was relieved we were back to ‘normal’. On the other side, I was infuriated that he treated me like nothing – a ordinary person who meant nothing but a working partner.

 

To JunHo
No, I’m not.

 

I replied coldly. However, I was anxious for his answer.

 

From Jun Ho
Can we meet?

 

We had just bid goodbye an hour ago. I barely changed my clothes and he wanted to ask me out.

 

To Jun Ho
Why?

 

From Jun Ho
Don’t think much about it. I just want to be clear.

 

That two sentences did not seem much but they hurt badly. He was still the same – not bothering to consider others’ feelings before saying anything.

 

From Jun Ho
I just want to talk to you… again.

 

His tone seemed softer this time. He might have taken the hint that I was not happy with his previous text.

 

To Jun Ho
Okay.

 

♪ ♫ ♬

 

Thankfully, our places were not far from each other’s. We met at a secluded park with a small river flowing. Not many knew this place so it was good. I saw him already there with his hands behind his back, looking aimlessly in front of him.

 

I was nervous but stood at least one feet away from him. I stared into the same direction and waited for him to speak.

 

“It has been a long time,” He started.

 

“Yes, it has.”

 

He did not move an inch but continued speaking, “How have you been?”

 

“Better than before,” I answered confidently but my voice was trembling so badly. He was definitely not convinced by that but he did not probe into my personal life further. I did not think before I spoke. I regretted every word I said. It seemed to me like I was still angry for the divorce and everything. It made me seemed like a petty person.

 

Jun Ho nodded and said, “Good to know.”

 

“Did you ask me out to ask this question?” I came off rude again, I did not know why.

 

Jun Ho’s expression became dull instantly after hearing my voice. Again, he ignored my manners. “I know it must have been very painful for you to take up this schedule. You will have to face me every day until the schedule ends. I’m sorry.”

 

His words made me feel even worse. Why was he doing this? Why was he being the good guy this time? He should be hating me and not like this.

 

“You could have rejected the schedule.” I answered back.

 

Jun Ho tilted his head and looked at me this time, “Why didn’t you?”

 

His question left me speechless again. Why didn’t I? I had no clue. And he was absolutely right. Why didn’t I?

 

“Since both of us did not reject this schedule, I find that we should do it the best that we could – regardless of what had happened to us. Work is work.” Jun Ho said to me, “So Eun, can we agree on that?”

 

He stepped forward and raised his hand like before, asking for a formal handshake.

 

I had nothing else to say but to shake his hand. This time, he did not let go immediately. We stood like that for a few seconds before I regained my senses. “Jun Ho, let go of my hand!” I ordered him while trying to remove my hand from his tight grip.

 

Instead, he held it tighter and pulled my hand closer to him, “So Eun, I know the show is scripted and everything.” He gulped and breathed in deeply, “But I want to let you know everything I have done just now wasn’t scripted, everything was real – based on my true feelings and actions.”

 

“Jun Ho…” I frowned, trying to decipher his feelings from his words.

 

As our hands are still together, my heart was beating non-stop. Why did he have to do this?

 

“So Eun, see you tomorrow.” He finally let go, “Have a good rest.”

 

He walked off to the opposite direction without another word. I stood there, looking at his silhouette disappearing slowly, still harping on the things he had said before.

 

Jun Ho’s POV

 

“Jun Ho, you’re back!” Chan Sung pranced around me cheerfully but I was solemn after meeting up with So Eun.

 

“Yes, I am,” I answered simply.

 

Chan Sung looked at me curiously, “What’s wrong? I thought you met up with So Eun for schedule? Why the long face?”

 

I smiled briefly and removed my jacket, “It’s nothing. Just tired. I’m going to bed.”

 

“You could have rejected the schedule.”

 

Her words pricked my heart so bad. Did she really hate the idea of collaborating with me? It had been a dream for us to compose a song together but instead, she thought otherwise. She hated the idea and wished I did not accept it.

 

I was about to make up with her tonight but she snubbed me. The smile and laughter she gave in front of the cameras were nowhere to be seen. Everything was just a show. She was just smiling for the show, I guessed.

 

I shut my eyes to prevent the tears from forming. I covered my eyes as I lied on the bed, thinking of the past memories we had together. I remembered the way we ended things and it was horrible. I would never want to go back there again.

 

Breathing in deeply, I was fully prepared. I was prepared for another day and meet her tomorrow. It was going to be a long day.

 

So Eun, goodnight.