The Wedding

First Love Turns Second

|2006|

 

Both of them knelt down and looked down, not knowing what to expect in this kind of situation. They grabbed each other’s hands tightly for support and stayed close to one another. In front of them were four adults staring at them with dagger-looking eyes and fierce expressions.

 

The one who was sitting in the middle and crossing his arms with anger was the one who spoke up first, “So can you two please explain to me what is going on around here?”

 

The 16 year old Jun Ho raised his head for the very first time ever since he stepped into his own house. He gulped and gave a quick glance to the girl beside him. She was obviously in pain, not on the outside but on the inside. He felt the need to be responsible for all the things that happened.

 

Finally, after recollecting his thoughts, he started to speak with courage, “Father, I have decided to marry So Eun.”

 

“What?” Jun Ho’s parents yelled at the top of their voices in shock as the other two adults, So Eun’s parents, started to sigh in frustration.

 

“I have to be responsible for my own actions. I have caused this mess and I cannot leave her alone. I cannot leave her in the lurch,” Jun Ho explained to them carefully with respect. He gritted his teeth and looked at his father, “I have to marry her, Father.”

 

“Do you know you have just won Superstar Survival and you’re going to train as a singer? How can you marry a girl at this time? Stop being ridiculous!” Jun Ho’s father banged the edge of the side table and clenched his teeth tightly.

 

“Excuse me,” So Eun’s mother who was silently watching did not want to stay quiet any longer, “You only care about your son but what about my daughter? She’s… She’s…”

 

“Pregnant with your son’s child.” So Eun’s father finished off the sentence that she dreaded to continue.

 

That’s right. So Eun, at the age of 17 years old, was pregnant.

 

“Father, Mother, please. I love So Eun and I will do anything to be with her – child or not. We have repented and it is time for us to take up the responsibilities for our own actions. I will train for JYP and take care of her as my wife at the same time.” Jun Ho squeezed So Eun’s hand tightly.

 

So Eun gave a quick smile at her, being deeply touched for his words. She knew she did not make the wrong choice for a boyfriend. Jun Ho was everything that she needed.

 

She touched her tummy briefly and started to speak for the first time, “Sir, Madam, I truly love Jun Ho. I hope you will give us your blessings. I will be a good daughter-in-law.”

 

“But you two…” Jun Ho’s father sighed, “Are so young. How can you handle marriage at this age? Moreover, it involves a child right now.”

 

“That’s what I meant. It involves a child right now. The child cannot afford to be born without a father. He has a father – which is me.” Jun Ho held her by the shoulder.

 

Scrutinising So Eun’s mother’s expression, he knew she would be happy to have him as a son-in-law. She was the only one who approved the marriage whole-heartedly.  Her face was pale and frail-looking because she was down with illnesses but her heart was welcoming and full of warmth. It made Jun Ho felt better in this tensed atmosphere.

 

So Eun bit her lips and said, “I know Jun Ho is the one for me. I know he will be a good husband and father. Please trust us. Please.”

 

Her eyes became wet as her tears overwhelmed her. She pursed her lips to stop herself from crying as it would mean asking for sympathy.

 

Jun Ho’s father scanned around the room to find answers from the other adults. The rest nodded and looked at the sad couple who were still kneeling down in front of them. Jun Ho’s father shook his head and tapped his fingers.

 

“When do you want the wedding to be held?”

 

♪ ♫ ♬

 

So Eun placed her hand on her pink cheeks and admired at her face that was prettily brushed with make-up. She had never tried putting make-up on her face before and the fact that she was with make-up simply amazed her.

 

“No wonder they say women are the prettiest when they get married,” So Eun commented cheekily to herself.

 

“No, you’re always beautiful in my eyes.”

 

So Eun removed her hand and turned around embarrassingly, “Mother! You’re here.”

 

So Eun’s mother caressed her cheek softly and sat down beside her. She swept So Eun’s fringe away from her face and gave a reassuring smile to So Eun, “So Eun-ah, are you happy?”

 

“Yes, I am, Mother.” So Eun replied her for the thousandth time. This was not the first time her mother had asked her the same question but So Eun always replied her with concern and patience. The wedding So Eun and Jun Ho was having was just a simple affair – with their families and close friends around. There was no banquet to follow up. It was just normal wedding exchanging vows to make a promise to their everlasting love and registering their marriage officially.

 

Jun Ho promised So Eun to have a real wedding and honeymoon when he became successful in his career in the future. For now, they had to focus on finishing their studies and ensuring their child would be safely delivered into this world.

 

“That’s good,” Her mother nodded and explained, “All I want from you is you to be happy. No matter how much others disapprove of your decision, remember that as long as you’re happy, I am happy. I will always support your decision no matter what, So Eun.”

 

“Thank you, Mother,” So Eun hugged her and sniffed.

 

So Eun’s mother patted her back, “Don’t cry. You will ruin your make-up.” She giggled and wiped So Eun’s face gently, “I know Jun Ho will be a great companion to you. I know I will be rest assured you are in good hands even if I’m not here with you anymore…”

 

“Mother! Don’t speak like that, you will always be here with me – until you see your grandchild grow up and get married.” So Eun reached out for her mother’s hand to touch her tummy that was around 2 to 3 months old.

 

“I’m just glad to see my daughter in a wedding dress. I’m really happy that you’re getting married, So Eun.”

 

So Eun almost broke down and cried. She knew her mother supported her fully even though this was an unplanned wedding. She hugged her mother again and closed her eyes, “Thank you, Mother. I promise to be happy – for you.”

 

♪ ♫ ♬

 

“I, Lee Jun Ho, take you, Kim So Eun, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.”

 

“I, Kim So Eun, take you, Lee Jun Ho, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.”

 

Slipping the rings into each other’s fingers, their lovely marriage was carefully sealed with a gentle kiss.