Staying

First Love Turns Second

So Eun’s POV

 

I was thinking to myself as I waited Jun Ho to arrive at my hotel room.

 

That’s it.

 

Our relationship will be over today, I just knew it.

 

The way he had ended off our conversation nights ago had already determined the fate of our relationship. I knew Jun Ho from inside out and when I thought he had changed for the better, the famous quote still remained – a leopard never changes its spots.

 

I remembered the last time he had flared up like this at me was when I had a miscarriage. He had left me all alone without listening to my explanation. Today, I would try explaining everything to him but I knew there was no hope.

 

I was as dirty as trash. I was nothing.

 

Looking at the hateful comments from the public, I knew my future was doomed. Even if I would start explaining to the public, I knew my image was ruined. The ‘Boys Over Flowers’ innocent girl was no longer as innocent as the public had perceived her to be. The ‘Music & Lyrics’ hardworking girl was cheating her way through by sleeping with the boss for money.

 

It was as if my tears had dried out, feelings had hardened and expression had dulled due to everything pouring down on my shoulders. I felt exhausted and cornered by my own wrongdoings and carelessness.

 

Jun Ho was going to say he was right. Should I have listened to his advice, this would not have happened. Yet, I had to be stubborn and not heed his advice. He was going to say, “I told you so! Why are you as stubborn as a mule?”

 

And then, we would start fighting again as he insulted me further. I knew it was impossible to expect anything more from him. He was perfect, just being successful in his work and I had to drag him down. The only way to not drag him down with me was to let go and sacrifice myself. And then, everything would just end – right here.

 

My mind was prepared for the battle.

 

I was ready.

 

The door started to open.

 

I had presumed my manager had given the key to him. Sitting at one corner of the room, I waited for him to come over. His footsteps were careful and quiet. He did not say a single word. I waited and waited but nothing.

 

“So Eun, look up.” Jun Ho started but he was standing in front of me, perhaps five steps away from me. I did not know since my eyes were still tight shut, embarrassed of myself.

 

“I don’t want to do this, Jun Ho.” I broke it out bravely to him while clenching my teeth. It was not easy but I knew I had to do this, “This is not working out anymore.”

 

Jun Ho’s voice seemed impatient as he asked, “What are you saying?”

 

Shaking my head, I finally had the courage to look at him in the eyes, “You’re right. I should have listened to you and stayed in the hotel. I realized that you coming here had me so frightened. I was supposed to feel relieved to see you. However, instead of imagining you comforting me, I knew you were coming here to scold me for being stupid in my decisions. I have never changed. I have always been this naïve. You have never changed. You have always been hot-tempered and straightforward.”

 

Jun Ho was still silent.

 

“I thought we were able to continue our relationship from years before but as time goes, I realized the reason why we broke up in the first place.” I stammered, “I don’t want to do this anymore, Jun Ho.”

 

Tears were already starting to stream down unknowingly, “I want someone who will be there to share my hardships, disappointments and burdens. Instead, I was worrying what this news would do to you instead of me.”

 

“So Eun, that’s not true.”

 

“No, Jun Ho. I know your personality. You have always been like this and I should have been prepared for a negative reaction from you. I expect you to come here screaming your head off and leaving me again. It’s just natural for you to do so and I won’t blame you.”

 

Jun Ho stepped closer to me and knelt down in front of me. He held my shoulders and forced me to come closer to him, “To be honest, you are right. When your manager called, I have the urge to come here and tell you I was right and you’re such a scatterbrain to have ignored my advice. I was about to break up with you.”

 

“You should.” I answered but my heart stung at his words.

 

“However, something sparked in my head and I decided not to.”

 

“Why?”

 

Jun Ho was preparing to speak as his eyes had gotten softer, “Your father called.”

 

“My… father?” For a moment, my heart sank. I had totally forgotten about my father who would be worried sick after seeing the news. He must have been so freaked out and dying to talk to me but I had no time to think about anything else.

 

“I answered his phone call and he was worried. He was worried but still calm. He asked me if I was there with you.” Jun Ho explained, “I said no and he was silent for a while. He asked if I believed in you and I was honest. I said I didn’t know whether to believe you.”

 

I bit my lips.

 

“So he replied and said, ’Jun Ho, it doesn’t matter if you believe her or not. Do you love her?’ Again, I was hesitant and did not reply him. Not waiting for my reply, he said to me, ‘Jun Ho, if you’re not going to be there for So Eun, it’s okay. I will bring my daughter to Taiwan where his relatives are and start a new life afresh. And we will never come back to Korea – just for my daughter. Why? Because I love her.’”

 

“I don’t want to hear it anymore, Jun Ho.” His words were stinging me and I did not want to hear the harsh words from him. I thought I was strong enough to conquer this but I was wrong.

 

Jun Ho cupped my cheeks, “No, So Eun. At that moment, I realized I panicked. Instead of feeling hesitant, I became enraged when he said he was bringing you away from me. I realized my feelings had gone beyond whatever conflicts we had in these few weeks. I realized these conflicts had meant nothing.”

 

I waited for him to continue.

 

“I have left you in the lurch before.”

 

“Yes, you have.”

 

“And I’m not going to do that again.” Jun Ho said instantly, “I have always thought I’m right. I have always thought my choices were logical. But I have learned my mistakes and grown from there, So Eun. I am no longer the immature teenager who doesn’t face his problems anymore. I’m not that young husband who abandons his wife for an easier route.”

 

“Jun Ho…”

 

He was my cheeks as he forced out a genuine smile, “I know it can take a while to get over all these, So Eun. But I promise I will not leave you alone to deal with your problems anymore. It’s time for me to start caring for you instead of myself. I want to have a future with you and it’s time for me to prove it to you. Will you give the selfish me another chance to prove myself?”

 

Suddenly, I felt the tension in my heart fading away, “Yes.”

 

Without letting me take a breather, he moved in closer and laid his soft and longing lips onto mine, deepening the kiss, allowing us to forget about the current problems at hand.